Topics

Weaving with cassette tapes

Linda Davis

I know I have heard or read about people using old cassette tapes for weaving, often  as a recycling challenge. Has anyone had the experience? And if anyone is interested in obtaining a large box of maybe 100 you can have them for free with shipping (not sure how much the box weighs but guessing at least 25 lbs.

Linda Davis

Sisters, OR

Teresa Ruch

I have worked with ribbons that are that weight. Worked fine. Definitely had some tapes go bad and they have an interesting texture. I am going to forward this to a basket maker who might be interested. Any vd tapes for texture differences?
Teresa

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 12:57 PM Linda Davis <tomlin@...> wrote:

I know I have heard or read about people using old cassette tapes for weaving, often  as a recycling challenge. Has anyone had the experience? And if anyone is interested in obtaining a large box of maybe 100 you can have them for free with shipping (not sure how much the box weighs but guessing at least 25 lbs.

Linda Davis

Sisters, OR

Subu

HI Linda,

There is a young man that lived/worked in Milwaukee, WI for a while, but I think now lives in NYC.  His name is Tim Westbrook.  (he took weaving classes with Sarah Saulson while in college)  He was on Project Runway several seasons ago.  He came to my local guild and did a program and showed us a dress he had made from used cassette/video tape….it was stunning!  However, there is a reason to believe there are some chemicals on that tape that can be harmful so whomever chooses to use it should investigate before just diving in.  I remember someone doing a dress from X-Ray film at a Convergence a million years ago too.

Su Butler

Avast logo

Mary Limpus

They work great mine turned out kind of shiny.

Mary

On Aug 8, 2020, at 3:18 PM, Subu <subu@...> wrote:

HI Linda,

There is a young man that lived/worked in Milwaukee, WI for a while, but I think now lives in NYC.  His name is Tim Westbrook.  (he took weaving classes with Sarah Saulson while in college)  He was on Project Runway several seasons ago.  He came to my local guild and did a program and showed us a dress he had made from used cassette/video tape….it was stunning!  However, there is a reason to believe there are some chemicals on that tape that can be harmful so whomever chooses to use it should investigate before just diving in.  I remember someone doing a dress from X-Ray film at a Convergence a million years ago too.

Su Butler

Avast logo

Dottie Smith

About 5-8 years ago, I attempted to weave some twill tote bags for groceries, etc. with cassette tapes as weft.   After about 12" of weaving I investigated the smell on my hands from the tapes, the tapes themselves, and decided to trash the entire idea of using the cassette tapes. It just did not seem safe or wise with the metallic residue and chemicals on them.  We trashed all the cassettes and video tapes.
Dottie Smith

P George

About 10 years ago a company named “Sonic Fabric” was using recycled cassette tapes to weave fabric that could be activated to make sounds. Not exactily Itunes, but interesting!

Artist Alyce Santoro experimented with audio tape and textiles: https://www.alycesantoro.com/sound-visual/sonic-fabric

Here is a news clip about her work

http://transmaterial.net/sonic-fabric/

All best,

Patrice George

NYC

From: <weavetech@groups.io> on behalf of Linda Davis <tomlin@...>
Date: Saturday, August 8, 2020 at 3:57 PM
To: <weavetech@groups.io>
Subject: [weavetech] Weaving with cassette tapes

I know I have heard or read about people using old cassette tapes for weaving, often  as a recycling challenge. Has anyone had the experience? And if anyone is interested in obtaining a large box of maybe 100 you can have them for free with shipping (not sure how much the box weighs but guessing at least 25 lbs.

Linda Davis

Sisters, OR

Ian Bowers

The ‘ingredients’ in the tape are the polyethylene terephthalate plastic (PET) tape (there is plenty of this in everyone’s life as water bottles), so that is very low risk, and ferric cobalt alloy which again is a stable compound with the cobalt locked in.

In total the material appears to be very low risk to health, though not welcome in waste tips as it degrades very slowly.

Best regards

Ian Bowers (Dr)

Managing Director

www.georgeweil.com

GEORGE WEIL & SONS LTD, Old Portsmouth Road, Peasmarsh, Guildford, Surrey, GU3 1LZ

tel: 0 (+44) 1483 565800
fax: 0 (+44) 1483 565807

George Weil & Sons is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
Registered number 00321890. Registered office: Peasmarsh, Guildford, GU3 1LZ

Follow George Weil: visit Twitter.comvisit Facebook.comsee our Blog

If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the message

There is a young man that lived/worked in Milwaukee, WI for a while, but I think now lives in NYC.  His name is Tim Westbrook.  (he took weaving classes with Sarah Saulson while in college)  He was on Project Runway several seasons ago.  He came to my local guild and did a program and showed us a dress he had made from used cassette/video tape….it was stunning!  However, there is a reason to believe there are some chemicals on that tape that can be harmful so whomever chooses to use it should investigate before just diving in.  I remember someone doing a dress from X-Ray film at a Convergence a million years ago too.

Su Butler

Avast logo

Linda Davis

Thes, some vd tapes also a possibility.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® S2

Margaret Moone

I successfully used VCR tape as weft to weave tote bags. Double weave eliminated side seams. I used a cotton warp, wove top and bottom together for an inch or so to eliminate bottom seam and enough plain weave at the top for hems. The tape lost considerable strength when stitched, so the handles were attached to the cotton lining.  The hardest part was getting the tape out of the cassette!

Margaret
Carolina RI

Susan Lee-Bechtold

I hate to say it, but under a contract, NBS research indicated that PET won’t deteriorate in 500 years or so.-the other Su

There is a young man that lived/worked in Milwaukee, WI for a while, but I think now lives in NYC.  His name is Tim Westbrook.  (he took weaving classes with Sarah Saulson while in college)  He was on Project Runway several seasons ago.  He came to my local guild and did a program and showed us a dress he had made from used cassette/video tape….it was stunning!  However, there is a reason to believe there are some chemicals on that tape that can be harmful so whomever chooses to use it should investigate before just diving in.  I remember someone doing a dress from X-Ray film at a Convergence a million years ago too.

Su Butler

Image removed by sender. Avast logo

Joe P

Hi Everyone

A while back I ask the list if I could weave video tape. I was told by a lot of weavers it was not a good idea so I took about 8-9 truckloads of video tapes to the dump. My friend Marty had boxes and boxes in a storage bin. That was cleaning out storage bin 1

Marty got really sick in March, I took Marty to the E.R. and ended up in the hospital with pneumonia for seven days. had no virus. testing was done. Marty had fevers of over 103 and more so high Marty ended up with short term memory loss, and damage. The, doctors said this problem should over time fix itself. Marty can't drive, Marty can't live on his own, if Marty is not living with me to watch him 24-7 Marty has to live in an assisted living place. The doctors started to make all of the arrangements for Marty to live in such a place. I told the doctor forget that idea Marty and I are partners and I am taking Marty home. The doctor's eyes got kind of big. But the next day Marty and I walked out of the hospital. Home health care started then had to stop a week later because of the pandemic, I have a wonderful weaving friend that is a lawyer and gave me the guide lines of things that had to be done, We, got that all done just before the shutting down. I started helping Marty with his bills and what do you think I found out? 2 more storage bins. So, the end of June, Marty and I went to visit to two storage bins 2, 10x10 Marty opened the lock on the second storage bin the door then went up, I just about feel over, the first words Marty said I own all of this? My reply you're the one with the keys. The total month of July Marty and I cleaned out two storage bins and loads of video went to the dump and other things. We are now to the point of cleaning out Marty's house a bath and a half and a music room and 6 bedrooms. I know for sure of one closet full of boxes of video tapes floor to ceiling, no open boxes all closed no dust, No, room for any dust, smoke free home.

There are lots of music cassettes as well if you might want to weave thin tape with 10/2 warp Not sure how many cassettes. yet. Marty is reading this as I type. Marty said I am not sure I want to get rid of the cassettes I said you can keep some not all. Marty said OK. I will let most go. They are not boxed yet but soon.

I wish this topic was before the end of June. We, would have had more than 2 truck loads, if any of you would like a pick- up truck or more of video tapes send me an off-list post.

The price free
I will not ship
Pick up only. Set a pick up time.
The boxes of tapes will be placed on the front porch of home.
Each box will be sprayed with Lysol spray because of the virus and pandemic for your safety
Marty and I will not visit, nor help load boxes, the boxes are not real big and easy to handle. about 16 tapes each box.
Marty and I have been compromised me heart attack last September and stents Marty with pneumonia.

Keep Weaving
Joe Bear in WI U.S.A.

There is a young man that lived/worked in Milwaukee, WI for a while, but I think now lives in NYC.  His name is Tim Westbrook.  (he took weaving classes with Sarah Saulson while in college)  He was on Project Runway several seasons ago.  He came to my local guild and did a program and showed us a dress he had made from used cassette/video tape….it was stunning!  However, there is a reason to believe there are some chemicals on that tape that can be harmful so whomever chooses to use it should investigate before just diving in.  I remember someone doing a dress from X-Ray film at a Convergence a million years ago too.

Su Butler

Avast logo

Melanie Olde

Edited

I've woven with cassette tape in the weft and a 2/60s silk warp; light-weight satin for the pattern areas, and basketweave for the ground. I really enjoyed it - and the contrast between natural silk shine and synthetic super-shine was really interesting. It packs down well - the type I used was soft and malleable - I've used VHS tape for other projects but found it too bulky, crunchy and stiff, but it would depend on what you're making.
Mel

edit: I'm not sure about health risks, but would be worth checking out.