Weaving Rugs w handspun

Kati Meek

This is only a somewhat appropriate site, but full of kind/experienced weavers who might steer me. Please?  How best should one spin Jacobs roving for weaving a rug?  I have an abundance of the Jacobs and know it is 'strong'.  Though I've woven many rugs, never with hand spun and don't know were to find guidance.
      This is rather different from the 40/1 linen currently on my 'delictes' loom, but I'm trying to keep my skills versatile.  Kati
Treadle with Joy
Kati Meek
Treehouse Studio

Ian Bowers

If it is as a weft, then any twist and grist will do.

As a warp, it needs a good twist, and then ply to balance.  Check the strength by twisting a length of the singles between the two forefingers and pull.  If it parts easily, add more twist.  The thing to remember in a warp is that its strongest part is the weakest!  So look for consistency.

Best regards

Ian Bowers (Dr)

Managing Director

www.georgeweil.com

GEORGE WEIL & SONS LTD, Old Portsmouth Road, Peasmarsh, Guildford, Surrey, GU3 1LZ

tel: 0 (+44) 1483 565800
fax: 0 (+44) 1483 565807

George Weil & Sons is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
Registered number 00321890. Registered office: Peasmarsh, Guildford, GU3 1LZ

Follow George Weil: visit Twitter.comvisit Facebook.comsee our Blog

If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the message