Transport of AVL

Darlene Wainwright

I have an opportunity to purchase a older mechanical Dobby AVL which will be ideal for me. Problem is location. I live in Newfoundland Canada and the loom is located in Washington State. Any suggestions for a company to manage this. Naturally price is important and the loom would be dismantled.
All advice and suggestions much appreciated.

Darlene, Sent from my iPad

Ardhyarini Herrick

Disassemble and ship it

On May 9, 2021, at 6:31 AM, Darlene Wainwright <knitterdar@gmail.com> wrote:

I have an opportunity to purchase a older mechanical Dobby AVL which will be ideal for me. Problem is location. I live in Newfoundland Canada and the loom is located in Washington State. Any suggestions for a company to manage this. Naturally price is important and the loom would be dismantled.
All advice and suggestions much appreciated.

Darlene, Sent from my iPad

Darlene Wainwright

Yes, of course but wondered about what company might be suitable especially with cross border in this Tim.

Darlene, Sent from my iPad

On May 9, 2021, at 8:11 AM, Ardhyarini Herrick via groups.io <riniherrick=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Disassemble and ship it
On May 9, 2021, at 6:31 AM, Darlene Wainwright <knitterdar@gmail.com> wrote:

I have an opportunity to purchase a older mechanical Dobby AVL which will be ideal for me. Problem is location. I live in Newfoundland Canada and the loom is located in Washington State. Any suggestions for a company to manage this. Naturally price is important and the loom would be dismantled.
All advice and suggestions much appreciated.

Darlene, Sent from my iPad

Ardhyarini Herrick

I heard ups is cheaper

On May 9, 2021, at 6:46 AM, Darlene Wainwright <knitterdar@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, of course but wondered about what company might be suitable especially with cross border in this Tim.

Darlene, Sent from my iPad

On May 9, 2021, at 8:11 AM, Ardhyarini Herrick via groups.io <riniherrick=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Disassemble and ship it
On May 9, 2021, at 6:31 AM, Darlene Wainwright <knitterdar@gmail.com> wrote:
I have an opportunity to purchase a older mechanical Dobby AVL which will be ideal for me. Problem is location. I live in Newfoundland Canada and the loom is located in Washington State. Any suggestions for a company to manage this. Naturally price is important and the loom would be dismantled.
All advice and suggestions much appreciated.

Darlene, Sent from my iPad

Darlene Wainwright

Thank you, that is a good suggestion.

Darlene, Sent from my iPad

On May 9, 2021, at 8:29 AM, Ardhyarini Herrick via groups.io <riniherrick=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

I heard ups is cheaper

Sue McKenzie

You might want to check first at home to see if any moving companies have connections with a company in Washington.  They might also be able to facilitate cross border customs issues.

Barbara Scott

HI Darlene,

I have had experience getting looms across the border and there are two things of which to be aware.

1. Duty. Customs tried to charge duty on a used AVL we were bringing back to Canada in my car. (It was cozy as I snuggled up to the beater which extended from the windscreen to the tailgate.)  There is a rule about dobby looms being exempted from duty because a comparable product is not made in Canada. Worth checking out.

2. Broker's charges. From experience, I know that UPS has charged me a significant amount in brokerage fees to bring things across the border. I would as all potential cartage/shipping companies about these fees.

Best of luck with the loom. I hope it all works out.

Barbara Scott
Guelph, Ontario

On Sunday, May 9, 2021, 07:24:35 a.m. EDT, Darlene Wainwright <knitterdar@...> wrote:

Thank you, that is a good suggestion.

Darlene, Sent from my iPad

> On May 9, 2021, at 8:29 AM, Ardhyarini Herrick via groups.io <riniherrick=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> I heard ups is cheaper

jody Williams

If you find a moving company already engaged, then a partial load , piggy backing on someone else’s move, is often cheaper.  Timing is the issue.  If you are willing to wait, this might work out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jody Fisher Williams
jody@...
1245 W Calzada Court
Tucson AZ 85704

520 505-4468
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On May 9, 2021, at 6:44 AM, Sue McKenzie <suewicksmckenzie@...> wrote:

You might want to check first at home to see if any moving companies have connections with a company in Washington.  They might also be able to facilitate cross border customs issues.

Darlene Wainwright

Good advice, many thanks.

Darlene, Sent from my iPad

On May 9, 2021, at 11:19 AM, jody Williams <jody@...> wrote:

If you find a moving company already engaged, then a partial load , piggy backing on someone else’s move, is often cheaper.  Timing is the issue.  If you are willing to wait, this might work out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jody Fisher Williams
jody@...
1245 W Calzada Court
Tucson AZ 85704

520 505-4468
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On May 9, 2021, at 6:44 AM, Sue McKenzie <suewicksmckenzie@...> wrote:

You might want to check first at home to see if any moving companies have connections with a company in Washington.  They might also be able to facilitate cross border customs issues.

bigwhitesofadog

I have used R&L Freight a couple times.  Unless you have a freight dock at your house, you want a lift gate to get it off the truck.  RL has lots of trucks with lift gates, so it's not expensive.  You want to skid it to keep it all together, and they do that. Their drivers are good, and communicate.  You are shipping LTL, less than a load.  It isn't like a moving van, the loom will be transferred from truck to truck moving through their network.
You will need to pick a freight code to find the cost.  Construction materials is cheaper, but offers less insurance value.  Furniture is more expensive and gives more insurance value.
Sandra

Joe P

Hi Everyone & Darlene

You found a perfect loom, that is great.

It is an older AVL do you have the loom number?

Send Bob K. the owner of AVL an E-mail to be sure you will be able to buy any replacement parts you might need over time, as well as things you might like to add to the loom in the future.

Ask Bob K in the E-mail for advice how to go about shipping the loom. After all, AVL ships loom all over the world.

Bob K has always been more then helpful to me.

Keep Weaving
Joe Bear in WI U.S.A.

If you find a moving company already engaged, then a partial load , piggy backing on someone else’s move, is often cheaper.  Timing is the issue.  If you are willing to wait, this might work out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jody Fisher Williams
jody@...
1245 W Calzada Court
Tucson AZ 85704

520 505-4468
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On May 9, 2021, at 6:44 AM, Sue McKenzie <suewicksmckenzie@...> wrote:

You might want to check first at home to see if any moving companies have connections with a company in Washington.  They might also be able to facilitate cross border customs issues.

Sara von Tresckow

When inquiring, use terms like "palletized" "shrink wrapped" and "LTL" (less
than truckload). Think of it as a commercial goods shipment.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@woolgatherers.com
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs

Darlene Wainwright

The loom is 534A  I did think about writing to AVL and will give it a go tomorrow.  Th@nks for the advice.

Darlene, Sent from my iPad

On May 9, 2021, at 12:49 PM, Joe P <rugsbyjoe@...> wrote:

[...]

All good advice and not what I may have though of. Thanks again.

Darlene, Sent from my iPad

On May 9, 2021, at 12:52 PM, Sara von Tresckow <sarav@woolgatherers.com> wrote:

When inquiring, use terms like "palletized" "shrink wrapped" and "LTL" (less
than truckload). Think of it as a commercial goods shipment.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@woolgatherers.com
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs

Tina Hilton

I used uship.com to get a Macomber loom from Indiana to North Carolina once. You post what you have to move & get bids from people. I'm not sure if they deal with moving things across the border, but it's worth checking out.

On Sun, May 9, 2021, 9:48 AM Barbara Scott <barbaraescott@...> wrote:
HI Darlene,

I have had experience getting looms across the border and there are two things of which to be aware.

1. Duty. Customs tried to charge duty on a used AVL we were bringing back to Canada in my car. (It was cozy as I snuggled up to the beater which extended from the windscreen to the tailgate.)  There is a rule about dobby looms being exempted from duty because a comparable product is not made in Canada. Worth checking out.

2. Broker's charges. From experience, I know that UPS has charged me a significant amount in brokerage fees to bring things across the border. I would as all potential cartage/shipping companies about these fees.

Best of luck with the loom. I hope it all works out.

Barbara Scott
Guelph, Ontario

On Sunday, May 9, 2021, 07:24:35 a.m. EDT, Darlene Wainwright <knitterdar@...> wrote:

Thank you, that is a good suggestion.

Darlene, Sent from my iPad

> On May 9, 2021, at 8:29 AM, Ardhyarini Herrick via groups.io <riniherrick=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> I heard ups is cheaper

Darlene Wainwright

Great advice, will check it out.

Darlene, Sent from my iPad

On May 9, 2021, at 3:18 PM, Tina Hilton <tlhilton@...> wrote:

I used uship.com to get a Macomber loom from Indiana to North Carolina once. You post what you have to move & get bids from people. I'm not sure if they deal with moving things across the border, but it's worth checking out.

On Sun, May 9, 2021, 9:48 AM Barbara Scott <barbaraescott@...> wrote:
HI Darlene,

I have had experience getting looms across the border and there are two things of which to be aware.

1. Duty. Customs tried to charge duty on a used AVL we were bringing back to Canada in my car. (It was cozy as I snuggled up to the beater which extended from the windscreen to the tailgate.)  There is a rule about dobby looms being exempted from duty because a comparable product is not made in Canada. Worth checking out.

2. Broker's charges. From experience, I know that UPS has charged me a significant amount in brokerage fees to bring things across the border. I would as all potential cartage/shipping companies about these fees.

Best of luck with the loom. I hope it all works out.

Barbara Scott
Guelph, Ontario

On Sunday, May 9, 2021, 07:24:35 a.m. EDT, Darlene Wainwright <knitterdar@...> wrote:

Thank you, that is a good suggestion.

Darlene, Sent from my iPad

> On May 9, 2021, at 8:29 AM, Ardhyarini Herrick via groups.io <riniherrick=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> I heard ups is cheaper

Sara von Tresckow

The proper HTS-Code for your AVL loom is 8446.29.00. When we receive big
looms from Sweden all parts are packed in a MDF box which is strapped to a
commercial transport pallet, except the two loom side pieces and the beater.
The side pieces are sitting on the pallet and are strapped to the MDF-box
(coffin) with plastic strapping bands. In front of the side pieces is a
scrap board of wood toenailed to the pallet, to give some protection against
"forklifting". The beater is sitting on the MDF box and is strapped to the
side pieces and the MDF box. All protruding edges of the side pieces are
protected with commercial card board edge protectors and the whole package
is shrink wrapped. That is done by professional packing companies, but it is
worse it every penny you spend on it, since the fork lift driver in the
transfer stations are either do not care what they are doing or they under
so much pressure to get certain jobs done, that the most transport damage
for LTL truck loads is by "forklifting". Get a transport insurance for your
loom.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@woolgatherers.com
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs

Darlene Wainwright

Thank you so much for the complete instructions. I will be reaching out t transport companies today to see if it is viable.

Darlene, Sent from my iPad

On May 9, 2021, at 11:25 PM, Sara von Tresckow <sarav@woolgatherers.com> wrote:

[...]

<Loom Packaging.JPG>