Synthrapol

Pamela Graham

Does anyone have a favorite brand of Synthrapol?

Thank you.
Pam

Elizabeth Moncrief

Dharma Trading has their generic version
Great stuff

Sent from liz's iPhone
Www.aweaversway.com
Instagram: Moncriefliz

On Oct 19, 2022, at 8:13 PM, Pamela Graham <pgraham173@...> wrote:

Does anyone have a favorite brand of Synthrapol?

Thank you.
Pam

Louise Yale

Currently using Pro Chemical and Dye which (as I recall) was purchased
online from Dharma.
Does the job in hand washing.

Have heard there is a low suds version of Synthrapol for use in washers
that use HE detergent.
Has anyone tried this product? Useful??

Louise in NorCal

Does anyone have a favorite brand of Synthrapol?

Thank you.
Pam

Pamela Graham

I just read reviews of the low suds version on the Dharma site and, evidently, it has a dreadful odor that’s extremely difficult to remove.

On Oct 19, 2022, at 11:21 PM, Elizabeth Moncrief via groups.io <l.moncrief@...> wrote:

Dharma Trading has their generic version
Great stuff

Sent from liz's iPhone
Www.aweaversway.com
Instagram: Moncriefliz

On Oct 19, 2022, at 8:13 PM, Pamela Graham <pgraham173@...> wrote:

Does anyone have a favorite brand of Synthrapol?

Thank you.
Pam

Louise Yale

Thanks for the warning.
Louise

wrote:

Does anyone have a favorite brand of Synthrapol?

Thank you.
Pam

Janene Driscoll

It’s not Synthrapol, but Soak is a good product.

Janene

On Wed, Oct 19, 2022 at 7:13 PM Pamela Graham <pgraham173@...> wrote:
Does anyone have a favorite brand of Synthrapol?

Thank you.
Pam

Louise Yale

I use synthapol to loosen and keep in suspension any extra dye particles
in my handwoven (and often hand dyed) items.
The suspended extra dye is poured off in the rinse water.

Does SOAK do that? Any effect on loose dye particles? Without a rinse, I
don't see how it would function.

Louise

It’s not Synthrapol, but Soak is a good product.

https://www.knitpicks.com/soak-wash

wrote:

Does anyone have a favorite brand of Synthrapol?

Thank you.
Pam

Ian Bowers

Synthrapol is the trade name for the standard household and industrial detergent used across many domestic brands. The difference is in the amount of dilution (some detergent brands are significantly more dilute than others) and the added colour and perfume.

There are, more expensive, low foam detergents, but they all do exactly the same thing, only more is required of some brands.

Best regards

Ian Bowers (Dr)
Managing Director

www.georgeweil.com
GEORGE WEIL & SONS LTD, Old Portsmouth Road, Peasmarsh, Guildford, Surrey, GU3 1LZ
tel: 0 (+44) 1483 565800
fax: 0 (+44) 1483 565807

George Weil & Sons is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
Registered number 00321890. Registered office: Peasmarsh, Guildford, GU3 1LZ
Follow George Weil:

If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the message

Dharma Trading has their generic version Great stuff

Sent from liz's iPhone
Www.aweaversway.com
Instagram: Moncriefliz

On Oct 19, 2022, at 8:13 PM, Pamela Graham <pgraham173@...> wrote:

Does anyone have a favorite brand of Synthrapol?

Thank you.
Pam

Tien Chiu

On Wed, Oct 19, 2022 at 8:30 PM Pamela Graham <pgraham173@...> wrote:
I just read reviews of the low suds version on the Dharma site and, evidently, it has a dreadful odor that’s extremely difficult to remove.

I use the low suds version in my front-loading, HE washer and it works fine. There's a strong smell afterwards, but a second run through the washer with a regular detergent (which I do anyway) removes it completely, at least as far as my nose goes.

Tien

Tina Broderson

For decades, I have used Synthrapol to wash (finish) my handwoven cloth and to prevent bleeding of dark colors from all types of yarn.  I do not notice any odor or color changes.  Usually I am hand washing, soaking, or using a front loading washer on a hand wash setting for small amounts of cloth.
Tina Broderson

Dawn Jacobson

After decades (and gallons) of Synthrapol, I switched to Dharma's Professional Textile Detergent last year when Synthrapol was no longer available. I haven't been able to see any difference between the two.

Someone suggested SOAK, but I wouldn't recommend it. It is expensive (about 4X the price of Dharma PTD or Keiralon Detergent), and is notorious throughout the dyeing community for stripping the color from hand-dyed or hand-painted yarns.

Dawn

Sydney Sogol

pro Chemical  offers Propasal  which according to the prochemical site :

This is a NEW and excellent alternative to Synthrapol SP which is eco-friendly and alcohol free.

PROsapol: An eco-friendly, alcohol free concentrated liquid wetting agent and surfactant compatible with all dye classifications. Use with PRO Dye Activator to scour fabric before dyeing. Also recommended for the final hot wash of Reactive Dyes. May also be added to the dye bath to add levelness and aid in wetting out the fiber.

 So for me that was the big game changer. I love it and have been using it now for 2-3 years and am happy with it plus it is way less harsh than Syphtrapol which always bothered me. I use it for all phases of washing including doing overnight soaks of my hand dyed and painted yarns in the rinsing process.

Cheers,

Sydney Sogol, MFA
Founder and Artist - Syd's Threads
Mobile: +1 919) 619-9244
Instagram: @sydsthread
Facebook- Syd's Threads

On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 10:58 AM Dawn Jacobson <fiberarts.dtjacobson@...> wrote:
After decades (and gallons) of Synthrapol, I switched to Dharma's Professional Textile Detergent last year when Synthrapol was no longer available. I haven't been able to see any difference between the two.

Someone suggested SOAK, but I wouldn't recommend it. It is expensive (about 4X the price of Dharma PTD or Keiralon Detergent), and is notorious throughout the dyeing community for stripping the color from hand-dyed or hand-painted yarns.

Dawn

margcoe

Ultimately Synthrapol is a detergent.  You can use any high quality detergent preferably one that is PH neutral. Orvus Paste for example. Here’s a comparison. https://sewingiscool.com/synthrapol-substitutes-ingredients/

  • Marg
  • (=^ ◡ ^=)
  • coeweaves.com
    e-weave-online.thinkific.com

    Carly Jayne

    "Ultimately Synthrapol is a detergent.  You can use any high-quality detergent preferably one that is PH neutral. Orvus Paste for example."

    It depends on what you are using Synthrapol for. If it's the first wash after dying, you might not want to use Orvis to rinse hand dyed protein fibers because those require a low PH achieved by vinegar or citric acid and as the article (which was super helpful, thank you!) states :

    "One word of warning though. Do not use Orvus Paste with vinegar. The PH level lowers and allows for the SLS to stay in the fibers."

    I have only used Orvis for scouring wools for dying- so it was rinsed out. I have used Synthrapol for dying for over 20 years. In school, we learned to mostly rinse clear, then finish with just a drop of it, so my bottles last forever, and the odor isn't a big deal. The new Dharma product seems fine to me.

    However, I do agree with Marg that a detergent is a detergent in most cases- especially when wet finishing. I, personally, use the cleaner the final textile with will be washed with. I know other people have different ways and they are all correct. I just know I will abuse whatever it is I will make, so I don't give my handwovens any indication they are safe in my hands, they'll likely end up in a wash with the Tide at some point... (insert evil laugh)

    For dying, I think learned what was more important than what I rinsed and washed with was taking care to weigh my materials and dyesutff and use the correct amounts. Adding too much dye per WOG not only wastes the dye but you have to spend more time rinsing unattached dye particles, and you lean harder on your detergents to do their job. Once I started using the correct formulations and testing for the correct PH, my final rinses started going much easier, and I didn't need to use as much Synthrapol.

    --
    Carly Jayne
    Food Obsessed Photography and Design

    Margaret Welch

    They are not all the same.  Synthrapol is using isopropal alcohol to clean.  See safety data sheet.  There are flammability warnings.
    Orvus is almost straight sodium lauryl sulfate.  One of the things I love about Prochem is that they have always made chemical safety sheets available.
    And If I wanted to correct pH from a neutral, I would add the acid to a rinse.  But I cannot imagine not rinsing completely after washing with any product.
    Sorry I’m not being clear.  I’m still relearning communication skills after covid isolation.  I wrote and maintained the original right to know/ chemical safety program for the utility I worked for, so I know how good Prochem’s info is. It’s a shame when people don’t use it.  And wikapedia makes almost every label readable if you have enough determination.  Meg Welch

    On Oct 27, 2022, at 2:53 PM, margcoe <coe@...> wrote:

     Ultimately Synthrapol is a detergent.  You can use any high quality detergent preferably one that is PH neutral. Orvus Paste for example. Here’s a comparison. https://sewingiscool.com/synthrapol-substitutes-ingredients/

  • Marg
  • coeweaves.com
    e-weave-online.thinkific.com

    Maryse

    I have been using Orvus Paste for more than 20 years…

    Maryse

    _,_._,_