From: weavetech@groups.io [mailto:weavetech@groups.io] On Behalf Of Darlene Wainwright
Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2021 4:12 PM
To: weavetech@groups.io
Subject: [weavetech] Stool/bench height

I have an 8 shaft Mountain table loom sitting on a table built with folding table legs. I need a bench or stool but realize a standard weaving bench may be too short. Does anyone here have a similar set up who could give me some advice?  My partner is offering to build something and I want the height to work. YoDid

Does @nyone here _._,_Darlen I have n 8 shaft

Sara von Tresckow

You might look at the design of adjustable Scandinavian weaving benches. If
you build something that adjusts, it would work for other looms and other
tables in the future.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@woolgatherers.com
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs

Darlene Wainwright

Terrific information.  Thank you so much.

Darlene, Sent from my iPad

On Apr 10, 2021, at 7:25 PM, Jayne F <jhfpf@...> wrote:

Please refer to Walt Turpening’s excellent post of 08/10/09   #34062

I have an 8 shaft Mountain table loom sitting on a table built with folding table legs. I need a bench or stool but realize a standard weaving bench may be too short. Does anyone here have a similar set up who could give me some advice?  My partner is offering to build something and I want the height to work. YoDid

Does @nyone here _._,_Darlen I have n 8 shaft

Darlene Wainwright

Good advice. Will check them out. 5hanks so much.

Darlene, Sent from my iPad

On Apr 10, 2021, at 7:49 PM, Sara von Tresckow <sarav@woolgatherers.com> wrote:

You might look at the design of adjustable Scandinavian weaving benches. If
you build something that adjusts, it would work for other looms and other
tables in the future.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@woolgatherers.com
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs

Pam Carr

I have a 12 shaft Mountain Loom on its own stand. The breast beam is 31" from the floor. I was able to weave sitting on a folding chair which was maybe just a tad low, but a small pillow would have made it just fine. At that height my elbows were pretty much at a right angle when I  rested my forearm on the breast beam. Hope that helps.

nancy

i have been thinking about this.  i have one loom bench i haul around between looms.  i have one piano bench.  none/neither raise me high enough.   i need my elbows to be at breast beam height and near keyboard on piano.  i am old, really old. i do not remember if i had the issue about elbow that high before i felll and tore rotor cuff, but...................now, raising arms is painful unless i raise me up.

so, i have a couple of concrete blocks wrapped in towels to raise me up....     pam, below, and i seem to have similar need.   i guess to say a height in inches, i would need another human to take yardstick and measure from floor to my butt when i high enough for arms to be comfortable.   resident german shepherd not assist in that regard

/s/ nancy biggins

On 4/10/2021 2:35 PM, Pam Carr wrote:
I have a 12 shaft Mountain Loom on its own stand. The breast beam is 31" from the floor. I was able to weave sitting on a folding chair which was maybe just a tad low, but a small pillow would have made it just fine. At that height my elbows were pretty much at a right angle when I  rested my forearm on the breast beam. Hope that helps.

Darlene Wainwright

Such good ideas from all you generous weavers.  I had not thought about how my elbows must be above the breast beam. Clearly, it will make weaving a whole lot more comfortable and I will be able to weave for longer periods of time.

Many thanks,

Darlene, Sent from my iPad

On Apr 10, 2021, at 9:32 PM, nancy via groups.io <biggins@...> wrote:

[...]

suki248

Beware the numbers, I am 5' tall with a Megado - which is a tall loom. I have an adjustable bar stool that I sit on to weave. At first I got my elbows above the breast beam. Found I got an achy back after a while. Lowered the seat a bit and found it more comfortable. Since this was new - I had heard of tall people complain about sinks that are too  low for comfortable work - and a neighbor of ours who is 6' tall had her kitchen counters made at 42" instead of 36 for that reason. You can try things until you find a comfortable position.

On 4/10/2021 8:22 PM, Darlene Wainwright wrote:
[...]

Such good advice.  Since is is being built from scratch we can easily tweak the height.  I can stand at the loom comfortable but hardly want to Stan all the time.

Thanks so much.

Darlene, Sent from my iPad

On Apr 11, 2021, at 7:47 AM, suki248 <caloosa@...> wrote:

[...]

Janet Ruhan

I bought a drafting chair and it works great. I can vary the height, the seat is cushioned, and it has a variable height footrest. I prefer it to a normal bench.

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 4:12 PM Darlene Wainwright <knitterdar@...> wrote:
I have an 8 shaft Mountain table loom sitting on a table built with folding table legs. I need a bench or stool but realize a standard weaving bench may be too short. Does anyone here have a similar set up who could give me some advice?  My partner is offering to build something and I want the height to work. YoDid
Does @nyone here _._,_Darlen I have n 8 shaft

Darlene Wainwright

Great idea! I will check them out.  Many thanks,,

Darlene, Sent from my iPad

On Apr 11, 2021, at 4:41 PM, Janet Ruhan <Tybeesunshine@...> wrote:

I bought a drafting chair and it works great. I can vary the height, the seat is cushioned, and it has a variable height footrest. I prefer it to a normal bench.

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 4:12 PM Darlene Wainwright <knitterdar@...> wrote:
I have an 8 shaft Mountain table loom sitting on a table built with folding table legs. I need a bench or stool but realize a standard weaving bench may be too short. Does anyone here have a similar set up who could give me some advice?  My partner is offering to build something and I want the height to work. YoDid
Does @nyone here _._,_Darlen I have n 8 shaft

Louise Yale

Have used an old fashioned piano stool. Spin the seat around depending on
the height of the loom and whatever feels right.
Louise in NorCal

<knitterdar@gmail.com> wrote:
I have an 8 shaft Mountain table loom sitting on a table built with
folding table legs. I need a bench or stool but realize a standard
weaving bench may be too short. Does anyone here have a similar set up
who could give me some advice? My partner is offering to build
something and I want the height to work. YoDid
Does @nyone here _._,_Darlen I have n 8 shaft

marmar weaves

Harrisville Designs has a bench that adjusts on pegs, allowing several heights. It also has a bit of tilt in it if you set it up that way, not rocking, but easy in the back.
Walt Turpening builds custom benches. I think I read about the measurements on his website.

Darlene Wainwright

Sounds good as well. Will try if one comes my way otherwise a drafting chair will work.

Darlene, Sent from my iPad

<knitterdar@gmail.com> wrote:
I have an 8 shaft Mountain table loom sitting on a table built with
folding table legs. I need a bench or stool but realize a standard
weaving bench may be too short. Does anyone here have a similar set up
who could give me some advice? My partner is offering to build
something and I want the height to work. YoDid
Does @nyone here _._,_Darlen I have n 8 shaft

Laura Sniderman

I have several fixed bench styles, but have an adjustable piano bench from Amazon, black vinyl seat and metal legs, collapses and is portable, great for workshops.
Laura Sniderman
Ada, MI

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 6:27 AM Darlene Wainwright <knitterdar@...> wrote:
Sounds good as well. Will try if one comes my way otherwise a drafting chair will work.

Darlene, Sent from my iPad

> On Apr 11, 2021, at 11:44 PM, Louise Yale via groups.io <cafeina=pacific.net@groups.io> wrote:
>
> Have used an old fashioned piano stool. Spin the seat around depending on
> the height of the loom and whatever feels right.
> Louise in NorCal
>

>> Great idea! I will check them out.  Many thanks,,
>>
>> Darlene, Sent from my iPad
>>
>>> On Apr 11, 2021, at 4:41 PM, Janet Ruhan <Tybeesunshine@...>
>>> wrote:
>>>

>>> I bought a drafting chair and it works great. I can vary the height, the
>>> seat is cushioned, and it has a variable height footrest. I prefer it to
>>> a normal bench.

Tien Chiu

On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 3:28 AM Darlene Wainwright <knitterdar@...> wrote:
Such good advice.  Since is is being built from scratch we can easily tweak the height.  I can stand at the loom comfortable but hardly want to Stan all the time.

As an ergonomic hint for those who do prefer to stand at the loom: a Topo mat from Ergodriven can make standing for long periods MUCH more comfortable. It allows you to shift your stance in multiple ways throughout the day, give yourself an arch massage while standing, and is the difference between backaches and footaches and total comfort. I work at a standing desk all day and weave standing up, and my Topo Mini is what allows me to do that comfortably. I find they work best when I stand barefoot or in socks, because it lets me do the arch massage with the teardrop shaped bump in the center, but YMMV.

I can't praise them enough.

I have the Mini because I'm short, but I linked to the regular Topo Mat because it's probably better for taller folks. You can order it through Amazon if you're impatient and want it sooner, but I'd rather support a smaller business.

I was getting backaches from too much time sitting and other strains from too much time standing, but this + the standing desk has solved everything.

Tien

Jami Johnson

LeClerc's loom bench has adjustable seat, it tilts, and can get 'saddlebags' too.

Jami