Topics

Sandpaper Beam?

bigwhitesofadog

I just had the tension\warp advance system (live tension) suddenly stop working. The brake has been set at the same tension for several warps and has worked perfectly. Now, when I try to advance the warp with the ratchet lever, the sandpaper beam just spins against the cloth, which has been winding up on cloth storage. I have checked the warp beam for obstructions, anything wrapped or caught on a peg; checked the brake.; everything looked good. It's as if the sandpaper suddenly lost it's tooth, but it seems to be pretty rough to me. This loom is about 35 years old. Anyone got any ideas?
Sandra

margcoe

What yarn are you using? Some yarns sort of slide on the sandpaper without gripping.

Marg

Sent from iDevice
coeweaves.com
e-weave-online.thinkific.com

On Oct 24, 2020, at 1:48 PM, bigwhitesofadog <sandra.eberhart@gmail.com> wrote:

I just had the tension\warp advance system (live tension) suddenly stop working. The brake has been set at the same tension for several warps and has worked perfectly. Now, when I try to advance the warp with the ratchet lever, the sandpaper beam just spins against the cloth, which has been winding up on cloth storage. I have checked the warp beam for obstructions, anything wrapped or caught on a peg; checked the brake.; everything looked good. It's as if the sandpaper suddenly lost it's tooth, but it seems to be pretty rough to me. This loom is about 35 years old. Anyone got any ideas?
Sandra

Lorelei Caracausa

If the cloth take up has quit, sometimes my sandpaper beam will not advamce

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020, 3:48 PM bigwhitesofadog <sandra.eberhart@...> wrote:
I just had the tension\warp advance system (live tension) suddenly stop working.  The brake has been set at the same tension for several warps and has worked perfectly.    Now, when I try to advance the warp with the ratchet lever, the sandpaper beam just spins against the cloth, which has been winding up on cloth storage.   I have checked the warp beam for obstructions, anything wrapped or caught on a peg; checked the brake.; everything looked good.  It's as if the sandpaper suddenly lost it's tooth, but it seems to be pretty rough to me.  This loom is about 35 years old.  Anyone got any ideas?
Sandra

Lorelei Caracausa

Check to see if the apron rod is  caught in the treadle cables

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020, 4:25 PM Lorelei Caracausa <beeweaverstudio@...> wrote:
If the cloth take up has quit, sometimes my sandpaper beam will not advamce

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020, 3:48 PM bigwhitesofadog <sandra.eberhart@...> wrote:
I just had the tension\warp advance system (live tension) suddenly stop working.  The brake has been set at the same tension for several warps and has worked perfectly.    Now, when I try to advance the warp with the ratchet lever, the sandpaper beam just spins against the cloth, which has been winding up on cloth storage.   I have checked the warp beam for obstructions, anything wrapped or caught on a peg; checked the brake.; everything looked good.  It's as if the sandpaper suddenly lost it's tooth, but it seems to be pretty rough to me.  This loom is about 35 years old.  Anyone got any ideas?
Sandra

Elizabeth Arthur

I had a similar thing happen recently. The problem was the finished cloth beneath the harnesses had caught on the springs which hold the harnesses down. I hope your problem is something simple too.

Liz

On October 24, 2020 3:48:13 PM "bigwhitesofadog" <sandra.eberhart@...> wrote:

I just had the tension\warp advance system (live tension) suddenly stop working.  The brake has been set at the same tension for several warps and has worked perfectly.    Now, when I try to advance the warp with the ratchet lever, the sandpaper beam just spins against the cloth, which has been winding up on cloth storage.   I have checked the warp beam for obstructions, anything wrapped or caught on a peg; checked the brake.; everything looked good.  It's as if the sandpaper suddenly lost it's tooth, but it seems to be pretty rough to me.  This loom is about 35 years old.  Anyone got any ideas?
Sandra

dlidema

I had this kind of problem a few years ago – the warp kept slipping.  It turned out that the sandpaper had lost its tooth.  I didn’t think that was the case but...getting new sandpaper from AVL fixed the problem immediately.  If you’ve never replaced the sandpaper on a 35-year-old loom, that may well be the problem.  As I remember, it’s not a cheap fix, but definitely worth it.

Deorah Lewis-Idema

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Brenda Stultz

When I have that happen it is because of the amount of fabric on the take up beam. When it started to slip I hand additional weight to pull on the take up cord.

Brenda

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 4:36 PM Elizabeth Arthur <stargzr@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank you all for your help.   The yarn is 8/4 cotton in Summer and Winter.  I have about 4' rolled up on the storage beam, and the cloth moves to it freely.  I did have some problems with the brake arm not  bobbing up and down when advancing the warp, and just going up.  This loom does not have the coated cable that is OEM, but a heavy cotton line.  I have been using this loom, in this configuration for about six years.
Sandra

Joe P

Hi Everyone

I can say this to be 1 of 4 things

1 the tie up rod sometimes if not centered will hang up.

2 you could have too much woven on the take up roller,  that works with the weight and cord I at times re wind the cord and have 10 woven rag rugs 5 feet long on the cloth roller. Never had to add more weight.

 3 in the past once in a while when I would start a warp I would have slipping. I would take my arm put it flat on the weaving push down hard on weaving and then pull advance lever then it would grab on. but only did this in start

4 the looms 35 years old, mine is to. My sand paper on the roller was fine but the paper the sand was on started to let loose and kind of crisp dry rot. I called Bob and replaced the sandpaper on the take up roller It was black sand paper I have the rust colored sandpaper now what a difference. You might need a little loom maintenance.

Keep Weaving
Joe Bear in WI U.S.A.

[...]

Hi Everyone and Sandra

I have read  (I did have some problems with the brake arm not bobbing up and down when advancing the warp, and just going up.) The arm goes up when you advance but comes back down when advance is done, the tension arm comes back down all in one motion. if the arm rides to high your tension is going to slip in a few beats of your weaving.  The tension arm should be straight across the best you can adjust to, it takes a bit to make this adjustment but well worth the time. Too much tension on the cable spring. Just ask me how I know. If you fixed problem fin if not this is how

Keep Weaving
Joe bear in WI U.S.A.