Topics

rods for warping #weaving

Jane Eisenstein

I like to use rods for lashing the warp to the warp beam and weaving headings to lash to the cloth beam. I'm currently using a couple of flat narrow wood sticks in the heading and they are bowing under tension. I've also used wood dowels in the past.
I'd like to get flat metal rods, but not seeing rods with the right dimensions at my local hardware store that are not aluminum. I'm concerned aluminum would bend under tension.
Do you have suggestions for narrow, unbending rods?

Ian Bowers

Thick walled steel tubing will give a higher ‘strength to weight’ ratio.  Investigate what is available at a nearby steel stock-holder.

Best regards

Ian Bowers (Dr)

Managing Director

www.georgeweil.com

GEORGE WEIL & SONS LTD, Old Portsmouth Road, Peasmarsh, Guildford, Surrey, GU3 1LZ

tel: 0 (+44) 1483 565800
fax: 0 (+44) 1483 565807

George Weil & Sons is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
Registered number 00321890. Registered office: Peasmarsh, Guildford, GU3 1LZ

Follow George Weil: visit Twitter.comvisit Facebook.comsee our Blog

If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the message

I like to use rods for lashing the warp to the warp beam and weaving headings to lash to the cloth beam. I'm currently using a couple of flat narrow wood sticks in the heading and they are bowing under tension. I've also used wood dowels in the past.

I'd like to get flat metal rods, but not seeing rods with the right dimensions at my local hardware store that are not aluminum. I'm concerned aluminum would bend under tension.

Do you have suggestions for narrow, unbending rods?

Nann Miller

Jane,
I use 1/4" or 3/8" cold rolled steel available from most welding shops.  The 'cold rolled' form rusts less, and to further prevent that, I wipe it down thoroughly and coat it with paste wax.  The rod will deflect a bit with narrower warps but will return to its original form when the tension is removed.

That rod is then lashed to the apron rod or inserted directly onto a string apron depending on the loom.
Nann

I like to use rods for lashing the warp to the warp beam and weaving headings to lash to the cloth beam. I'm currently using a couple of flat narrow wood sticks in the heading and they are bowing under tension. I've also used wood dowels in the past.

I'd like to get flat metal rods, but not seeing rods with the right dimensions at my local hardware store that are not aluminum. I'm concerned aluminum would bend under tension.

Do you have suggestions for narrow, unbending rods?

JANETTE GROSS

I've used a metal tube with a wooden dowel inside of it and it works well.

Janette

Claudia Spaulding

I'm not a big fan of metal rods. I use sticks made from hard wood. One thing that would prevent the bending is only lash the width of the warp, not the entire length of the warp. That advice came from Jane Patrick (Schacht-Spindle owner)

Ian Bowers

Metal rods are far stiffer than wood and less likely to break catastrophically, using tube increases the strength/weight ratio.  Certainly it makes sense to ensure the width of the fabric is lashed and not depend just on the ends.

Best regards

Ian Bowers (Dr)

Managing Director

www.georgeweil.com

GEORGE WEIL & SONS LTD, Old Portsmouth Road, Peasmarsh, Guildford, Surrey, GU3 1LZ

tel: 0 (+44) 1483 565800
fax: 0 (+44) 1483 565807

George Weil & Sons is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
Registered number 00321890. Registered office: Peasmarsh, Guildford, GU3 1LZ

Follow George Weil: visit Twitter.comvisit Facebook.comsee our Blog

If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the message

I'm not a big fan of metal rods. I use sticks made from hard wood. One thing that would prevent the bending is only lash the width of the warp, not the entire length of the warp. That advice came from Jane Patrick (Schacht-Spindle owner)

kathyo

Interesting!
May I ask why you use the combo instead of one or the other?
Thanks!

kathyo

On Nov 16, 2020....

I've used a metal tube with a wooden dowel inside of it and it works well.
Janette

Pam Rathmell

I ordered a stainless steel solid rod from https://allmetalsinc.com/ .  The rod itself was cheap but the shipping wasn't. But it was exactly what I wanted.

jody Williams

bamboo is supposed to have a higher tensile strength than steel.  Has anyone used bamboo?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jody Williams
jody@...
1245 W Calzada Court
Tucson AZ 85704

520 505-4468
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Nov 16, 2020, at 9:06 AM, Pam Rathmell via groups.io <housemouse616@...> wrote:

I ordered a stainless steel solid rod from https://allmetalsinc.com/ .  The rod itself was cheap but the shipping wasn't. But it was exactly what I wanted.

Ian Bowers

It is true that the tensile strength is higher (weight for weight) , but the feature which matters is the bending modulus (ie stiffness) where steel wins.

Bamboo is also weak across the nodes, the joining two growth points where it breaks in bending.

[...]

Joe P

Hi Everyone

You are going to need 2 rods and cord if you want to stop the bowing of the rod

rod for tie on            -------------------
cord lacing                 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/]  This is the best I can do for example.
Rod in hem of apron -------------------

Keep Weaving
Joe Bear in WI U.S.A.

bamboo is supposed to have a higher tensile strength than steel.  Has anyone used bamboo?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jody Williams
jody@...
1245 W Calzada Court
Tucson AZ 85704

520 505-4468
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Nov 16, 2020, at 9:06 AM, Pam Rathmell via groups.io <housemouse616@...> wrote:

I ordered a stainless steel solid rod from https://allmetalsinc.com/ .  The rod itself was cheap but the shipping wasn't. But it was exactly what I wanted.

marmar weaves

Kathyo, my DH had tge opinion that metal tube would be less likely to bend with dowel. My 3/4” dowels bowed only when I tightened it too much. But together DH thght they would not bow or bend.

On Monday, November 16, 2020, 10:05:29 AM CST, kathyo <kathyanneolson@...> wrote:

Interesting!
May I ask why you use the combo instead of one or the other?
Thanks!

kathyo

On Nov 16, 2020....
I've used a metal tube with a wooden dowel inside of it and it works well.
Janette

Kathe Ashley

As Claudia states

>One thing that would prevent the bending is only lash the width of the warp, not the entire length of the warp. That advice came from Jane Patrick (Schacht-Spindle owner)<

This will solve the problem.

Kathe

Ann Kelsall

I use hollow aluminium rods which are a centimetre wide and a metre long. They never bend. I lash my rod at either end of the warp (and once in the middle) - to the warp beam.

I had solid metal rods, but they were very heavy and so, for me, a nuisance. They are available in any hardware shop here in France.

Ann

Joe P

Hi Everyone

I have a Cranbrook loom two of them 1 48 and the other 63 wide

Now who makes the Cranbrook looms? Schacht-Spindle Jane Patrick's husband, Now the example I sent to the list about how to stop a rod from bowing is how the rods are set up on my Cranbrook loom There is a misunderstanding here some place. :>)

Keep Weaving
Joe Bear in WI U.S.A.