Question: Resources for Cut Pile rug Weaving

anatcheva

Yesterday I visited a studio in Kostandovo, Bulgaria (https://hemus-bg.com) for hand-knotted cut pile rugs (I would heartily recommend a visit for anyone) and am eager for resources on how to weave a knotted cut pile rug.

I couldn’t find much online so hoped the group might have suggestions.

suki248

Sara Lamb used to teach classes on how to make cut pile rugs with silk.

On 10/16/2021 2:17 AM, anatcheva wrote:

Yesterday I visited a studio in Kostandovo, Bulgaria (https://hemus-bg.com) for hand-knotted cut pile rugs (I would heartily recommend a visit for anyone) and am eager for resources on how to weave a knotted cut pile rug.

I couldn’t find much online so hoped the group might have suggestions.

Su Butler

The only resource I know of is an old video tape workshop on Cut-Pile Rug Weaving by Orlo “Duke” Duker.  It is a 101 minute workshop on the mechanics of weaving Cut-Pile Rugs.  I have a copy I have never opened, although I have seen the video.  My copy is on a VHS tape, and I do still have a VHS player.  I don’t know if this video every made it onto digital format.  It was produced by Victorian Video Productions out of Port Townsend, Washington in the USA.   They have been out of business for a long time.   Hope you can find a copy close by.

Best,

Su

Yesterday I visited a studio in Kostandovo, Bulgaria (https://hemus-bg.com) for hand-knotted cut pile rugs (I would heartily recommend a visit for anyone) and am eager for resources on how to weave a knotted cut pile rug.

I couldn’t find much online so hoped the group might have suggestions.

Laura Sniderman

I found this article in Handwoven-

Laura Sniderman
Ada, MI

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 2:17 AM anatcheva <anatcheva@...> wrote:

Yesterday I visited a studio in Kostandovo, Bulgaria (https://hemus-bg.com) for hand-knotted cut pile rugs (I would heartily recommend a visit for anyone) and am eager for resources on how to weave a knotted cut pile rug.

I couldn’t find much online so hoped the group might have suggestions.

Laura Sniderman

I also found this reference- to Sara Lamb's blog-
Laura Sniderman
Ada, MI

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 5:19 AM suki248 <caloosa@...> wrote:

Sara Lamb used to teach classes on how to make cut pile rugs with silk.

On 10/16/2021 2:17 AM, anatcheva wrote:

Yesterday I visited a studio in Kostandovo, Bulgaria (https://hemus-bg.com) for hand-knotted cut pile rugs (I would heartily recommend a visit for anyone) and am eager for resources on how to weave a knotted cut pile rug.

I couldn’t find much online so hoped the group might have suggestions.

Jennifer

Thank you for sharing all of this about pile carpets.  I’ve been wanting to adapt this to my Cranbrook.  Actually, it would be a relearning process, as my very first weavings that I ever wove in my whole life were pile carpets on a primitive vertical loom while living in Tunisia. When I came back home to the US, I learned to weave only  cloth and some flat weave carpets.  But my dream has always been to weave at least one knotted carpet on one of my conventional European style looms. Some wonderful and very patient ladies from  southern Tunisia taught me the whole process of gathering the recently spun wool at the open market, setting up the loom, weaving the header, knotting each strand of yarn, laying in one shot of weft in between each row of knots, closely trimming each knot, drinking Turkish coffee and learning to speak some Arabic. I was very young, my hands were nibble, eyesight perfect and sitting almost on the floor didn’t bother me. Before I retire completely from weaving, I would love to weave a pile rug.  If I find any info, I’ll pass it along.
Jennifer in Albuquerque

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Saturday, October 16, 2021, 6:47 AM, Laura Sniderman <lauraknitter@...> wrote:

I found this article in Handwoven-

Laura Sniderman
Ada, MI

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 2:17 AM anatcheva <anatcheva@...> wrote:

Yesterday I visited a studio in Kostandovo, Bulgaria (https://hemus-bg.com) for hand-knotted cut pile rugs (I would heartily recommend a visit for anyone) and am eager for resources on how to weave a knotted cut pile rug.

I couldn’t find much online so hoped the group might have suggestions.

Sara von Tresckow

I still have a few dopies of Noreen Roberts "How to Make an Oriental Rug".
Lovely little book with all the details including types of wool to use,
where to find tools, etc.
https://www.woolgatherers.com/BOOKPAGE.htm

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@woolgatherers.com
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs

Nancy Curtiss

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 8:33 AM Su Butler <Teach2Weave@...> wrote:

[...]

Mary Berent

While not a video, the best book on rug weaving is available free and downloadable online.  Peter Collingwood's, “Techniques of Rug Weaving”.

An excellent resource.

Mary Berent

On Oct 16, 2021, at 8:24 AM, Nancy Curtiss <nacurtiss@...> wrote:

[...]

Deanna Johnson

Sara Lamb also published a wonderful book called Woven Treasures (one-of-a-kind bags with folk weaving techniques), and cut pile is one of the techniques described in the book.

On Oct 15, 2021, at 11:17 PM, anatcheva <anatcheva@...> wrote:

Yesterday I visited a studio in Kostandovo, Bulgaria (https://hemus-bg.com) for hand-knotted cut pile rugs (I would heartily recommend a visit for anyone) and am eager for resources on how to weave a knotted cut pile rug.

I couldn’t find much online so hoped the group might have suggestions.

<8EFBB0CD-AD94-481A-9DD6-C19A3FDE9833.jpeg><E6C85203-9682-4FF9-8B0C-91C5985A08A7.jpeg>

Deanna Johnson

And I just checked the notes from her workshop - one resource listed is www.marlamallett.com

On Oct 16, 2021, at 8:52 AM, Deanna Johnson <deannaj@...> wrote:

Sara Lamb also published a wonderful book called Woven Treasures (one-of-a-kind bags with folk weaving techniques), and cut pile is one of the techniques described in the book.

On Oct 15, 2021, at 11:17 PM, anatcheva <anatcheva@...> wrote:

Yesterday I visited a studio in Kostandovo, Bulgaria (https://hemus-bg.com) for hand-knotted cut pile rugs (I would heartily recommend a visit for anyone) and am eager for resources on how to weave a knotted cut pile rug.

I couldn’t find much online so hoped the group might have suggestions.

<8EFBB0CD-AD94-481A-9DD6-C19A3FDE9833.jpeg><E6C85203-9682-4FF9-8B0C-91C5985A08A7.jpeg>

Carol Irving

2 books
1. Designing and Making Handwoven Rugs by Tod & Del Deo

2. Techniques  of Rug Weaving by P. COLLINGWOOD

Online for free:
"Handweaving.net: Document | The Techniques of Rug Weaving, Collingwood, Peter" https://www.handweaving.net/document-detail/1961/the-techniques-of-rug-weaving-collingwood-peter-waton-guptill

Carol Irving

Sara von Tresckow

I have woven several knotted pieces on conventional looms. I am including
links to two of them.
The first one is a small rug in natural colors that won an award at the 2010
Blue Ridge Show in NC (woven on a Glimakra Aktiv)
http://woolgatherers.com/GALLERY-RecentWork.html
(The knotted rug is at the bottom of the page).
And
http://woolgatherers.com/GALLERY-Household.html
(Woven 2016 on a Cranbrook)
I have relied on the information in Noreen Roberts' book from 2004, the
Kerimov motif book from Dover, Marla Mallatt's book and web site, and
excellent mentoring from Bahram Shabahang, owner of Orley and Shabahang
which just happens to have their home location in Whitefish Bay, north of
Milwaukee.
https://orleyshabahang.com/about/
I did keep a heavy beater handy to pack the weft a bit more than just using
the beater on the loom. Otherwise, the rugs turned out well and both are on
the floor.
I am a little disappointed that the US Karakul wool I collected for the
larger rug is "softer" than I expected and not holding up to foot traffic as
well as the crisp wool on the first one or the stiff Karakul on my other
purchased knotted rugs.
As stated before, I do have 2 copies of Noreen's book remaining (her web
site is no longer active and the book not listed anywhere and my last
contact a few years ago had her well into her 80's) which is a lovely
treasure for anyone wishing to go the full route to a rug rather than just a
purse of mug rug.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@woolgatherers.com
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs

Leslie Mendelson

Peter Collingwood's Techniques of Rug Weaving has a pretty comprehensive chapter on knotted pile.

Leslie M

Su Butler

HI Nancy,

YES, that is it.  So it made it onto DVD.  Glad to know!

Best,

Su 😊