Question about zoom

Joe P

Hi Everyone

I have an old-style computer with a tower and the monitor no camera built in. Can I watch things on zoom and not take part in them? This is my work hours computer. I can watch you tube videos can I just watch free zoom things too?

I have a new computer I bought and it has the camera and all but this is just for my weaving not for anything on line.

I received a letter in the mail this past week from the senior center I belong to They are going to be teaching people how to use zoom to visit doctors and other things sending pictures we are given a tablet, and seniors I am told from a library are able to have a hot spot I have no clue to any of this. I asked if my name could be put on the list, I was told "yes" the forms all went in the mail today to top it off it is all free. I would be willing to pay to learn how to do this. The teaching is done one on one. At a person's own speed of learning. I called my accountant told him about this and said I can learn. I see a big tablet in my future watch for sales and get me one. With biggest print.

Sara I am so glad you invited me to your studio to show me how weaving soft wear works I found out I can use a lap top without voice I enjoy my weaving soft wear a lot and I use it. I will not put a weaving pattern on my loom less I check it for mistakes first.

Keep Weaving
Joe Bear in WI U.S.A.

Sara von Tresckow

Joe,
You will probably need a USB webcam.
There are several here:
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/webcams?irclickid=31EUVgR0e3X50xhxRxQT6yHvUkE
SDMQOjVPB3c0&utm_source=radius&utm_medium=affiliate&irgwc=1&filters=3798
you just plug them into a usb port to get them to work.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@woolgatherers.com
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs

Debbie original

Hi Joe

You can use Zoom from a computer without a camera.   The other attendees cannot see you and clearly you cannot show them anything but if it is a seminar, that would be fine.    I assume you have a working microphone on the computer – if not, you can still attend and use the Chat function on Zoom.    I have run a number of different types of Zoom calls over the last year and we have had people without cameras on the calls.

Best wishes

Debbie

Joyce Robards

Hi Joe,

You will be able to see and hear a zoom meeting/presentation on your old tower computer but since you have neither camera nor microphone you will not be able to participate.  At least that’s how my system—some 15 years old—works.

And yes, I did get a newer system so I can take full advantage of zoom and am using the program on my new-ish laptop to teach with it.

Joyce

marya bolyanatz

You don't need a camera to watch zoom but no one will be able to see you.
Marya

Tina Hilton

I haven't actually done this, but I believe you can watch the zoom meeting on your desktop and use a phone so you can speak. Here's a link about it.

Tina

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021, 9:27 AM Joyce Robards <jrobards@...> wrote:

Hi Joe,

You will be able to see and hear a zoom meeting/presentation on your old tower computer but since you have neither camera nor microphone you will not be able to participate.  At least that’s how my system—some 15 years old—works.

And yes, I did get a newer system so I can take full advantage of zoom and am using the program on my new-ish laptop to teach with it.

Joyce

Sally O

Joe – this is very exciting!

DO take advantage of any free training or gear offered, as many of my guildmates participate in Zoom calls from their cell phones or tablets. However, a tablet or computer monitor will be far easier than a cell phone, because the screen is much bigger.

Some participants will log in with two different devices, using their phone (because it has a camera and microphone to project their image & voice) if their computer is not equipped to do so. (They will watch on their computer.)

Also, as someone also noted, there is a "chat box" and sometimes also a "Q&A" box (depending on the type of Zoom service the organization has procured.) You can type comments / questions into the chat or Q&A box, even if you do not have a microphone or camera on your system. You can choose to share those comments with "everyone" or direct them to a specific person from the "participant" list.

However, I don't think you can increase the type size in those boxes, so they might be hard to view, even on a tablet.

Note that you have to open those windows from the bottom of a Zoom screen - they do not automatically appear. In fact, many of the Zoom commands disappear until you roll your mouse over the Zoom screen and suddenly they pop up. (It is my observation they pop up in different places on different devices, so some one-on-one training with your particular device might quicken your learning curve.)

HGA's "Textiles & Tea" sessions are offered for free, every Tuesday at 4 pm eastern time, via Zoom. You can go to the WeaveSpinDye.org website and sign up to receive the Zoom link. You could test out your current set up and see what you think. (...and hey, today just happens to be Tuesday!)

For the Textiles & Tea episodes on Zoom, there is a 500 attendee limit. For those who don't get into a particular Zoom session, the sessions are also broadcast on HGA's Facebook page simultaneously. You do not have to belong to Facebook to watch. They are also recorded and then uploaded to HGA's YouTube channel, so you can watch at a later date.

I am looking forward to seeing you on a Zoom call in the future, Joe!

Joe P

Hi everyone and Sally O

I yes am excited. I would like to maybe take a few on-line weaving workshops. I also need to learn how to use zoom to live the new normal.

Keep Weaving
Joe Bear in WI U.S.A.