Picture of V.Gravandar

willgee@...

Well, I just posted a picture of Mama Gravandar to the Photo file...I
hope I did it right. She and one of her spinning group were
demonstrating at the San Francisco Art Festival sometime during the
70s perhaps. Ruth and Amy, please tell me if I did it wrong. glen b.

nancy

oh thanks [when, of course, i figure out how to see it]
i have a single piece of equipment that was hers. she had already died and i never met her. it is a floor stand skeinwinder in "svedish blue". i was told she was very very attached to "svedish blue"
now, i can get picture and print it for my scrapbook

At 06:32 PM 8/19/2001 +0000, you wrote:
Well, I just posted a picture of Mama Gravandar to the Photo file...I
hope I did it right. She and one of her spinning group were
demonstrating at the San Francisco Art Festival sometime during the
70s perhaps. Ruth and Amy, please tell me if I did it wrong. glen b.

Sharon Hinze <hinzewood@...>

I have a loom built for a Caroline Linn of Seattle by Mama Gravander's husband in 1930. It is a small black, countermarche that I've never woven on. I needs some shoring up and I just havn't made it happen. It has Valborg on the top of the loom, a brass plate with the weaver's name and date and the name of the loom builder, A. Gravander. I rescued it from being taken to Goodwill several years ago. I'd love to find a good museum home for it because it just sits in my living room right now. There was a piece of weaving with it that I suspect was a sampler by Mama Gravander herself or a sample by the original owner from a class with V. Gravander. Unfortunately though it had stayed iwth the loom all those years the final owner of the loom snagged it when I purchased the loom for $50. I've been sad it couldn't have stayed with the loom ever since whatever the story. Just thought I'd share this with the list again since the Gravander's are back on topic. S
Sharon C. Hinze
Spokane, Washington 99203

Laura MacCary <lmaccary@...>

Hi Sharon or anyone else with info;

Last summer I briefly had a funny little swedish-style loom with an overhead
beater pivoted behind wooden pegs and a spoon brake which also caught on
wooden pegs. I had it long enough to get it working again (all the cords had
been cut & lost, and the jack box at the top was assembled wrong). The paper
tape on the reed top & bottom had a sticker on it that said The Linn Looms,
with an address in Seattle. Do you have any other information about this?
Were the Linns weaving retailers, or loom builders, or something else? I'd
love to tell the current owner any history on this loom.

Laura

I have a loom built for a Caroline Linn of Seattle by Mama
Gravander's husband in 1930.
(snip)
Sharon C. Hinze

Sharon Hinze <hinzewood@...>

Hi Sharon or anyone else with info;

Last summer I briefly had a funny little swedish-style loom with an overhead
beater pivoted behind wooden pegs and a spoon brake which also caught on
wooden pegs.
Well, from the brass plate on my loom, I'm sure Caroline was a weaver but I also got several reeds with this loom with the same label on them plus a name written in, Klein. My loom had been in storage since the '50's as the paper wrapped around some of the wooden pieces had the announcement of Marilyn Monroe's marriage to her first husband. Maybe they ordered and resold looms???? S

Sharon C. Hinze
Spokane, Washington 99203