NYTimes--Junichi Arai

Janet Stollnitz

Today’s print edition of the NYTimes has an “overlooked obituary” for Junichi Arai. The obituary is very interesting, and the few fabrics shown are in color when viewed online.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/13/obituaries/junichi-arai-overlooked.html

Janet

margcoe

Thank you Janet. I feel so very lucky that Paul gave me his Junichi Arai pieces. I treasure them. I’ll be sure to spread this information so that he is no longer overlooked in the handweaving community.

  • Marg
  • (=^ ◡ ^=)
  • coeweaves.com
    e-weave-online.thinkific.com

    On May 16, 2022, at 1:33 PM, Janet Stollnitz <janet@...> wrote:

    Today’s print edition of the NYTimes has an “overlooked obituary” for Junichi Arai. The obituary is very interesting, and the few fabrics shown are in color when viewed online.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/13/obituaries/junichi-arai-overlooked.html

    Janet

    Sally O

    Does anyone else remember the spectacular NUNO textile exhibit at Convergence 2002 Vancouver?

    I would love to know who made that exhibition happen in that venue and thank them.
    It was a very influential experience for me, as a handweaver, to see those amazing textiles.

    Isabelle Fusey

    For when you visit Vancouver next  - Silk Weaving Studio on Granville Island

    https://www.silkweavingstudio.com/ann-sutton-collection.html

    From the website "In 2013, Diana Sanderson acquired the Ann Sutton collection of Junichi Arai and Nuno works with the promise that it would be made available for viewing to anyone interested. "

    Pam Carr

    Can anyone share the article, I don't have access to the NYT. The Nuno exhibit was extraordinary in Vancouver. TIA.
    Pam

    abr_elkins

    Have you tried to Google the article, Pam.  I think if you just search Junichi Arai the obit will come up.
    eevaweaver@...

    Can anyone share the article, I don't have access to the NYT. The Nuno exhibit was extraordinary in Vancouver. TIA.
    Pam

    Megan Rothstein

    Hey everyone,
    I sent Pam a gift article from my NYT subscription. I get 10 a month and never use them so if someone else needs one I can pass one along too.

    Megan

    --
    I spend most days weaving in the studio. It is typical for me to take 2 days to read e-mail and 2-3 days to think over my reply. The culture of immediacy is, unfortunately, not very compatible with the type of work I do.

    P George

    Here’s a link to the 2004 Arai exhibit at Gallery Gen in NYC. It was a huge event, Arai was there in person, Jack Larsen as well, if I remember correctly! http://www.gallerygen.com/art/arai.html