Nell Znamierowski

Sally O

I learned over the weekend that Nell Znamierowski passed away last week.
I don't know any further details and I have not seen an obituary posted yet.

For those who are not familiar with Nell, here is a link to her Wikipedia listing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nell_Znamierowski

Sara von Tresckow

Sad. I learned to weave using her "Step by Step Weaving" from Golden Press.
It was a fantastic introduction. Every step of the process was documented -
first on a simple home built frame (yes, I made mine in the basement), then
on a rigid heddle loom, then on a table loom and finally on a floor loom
with side by side diagrams. It made each step clear how it was performed on
the various types of looms one could use. There are still copies out there
on used book sites - would recommend again to new weavers.
Her professional experience shows in her work.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@woolgatherers.com
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs

Ann Barry

She was a wonderful teacher. I bought her book, Step-By-Step Weaving, about 1971 and devoured it, so much that my husband went to New York City and bought me a Dorothy loom. When I moved to New York, I was able to take classes with her at FIT and still have my notebooks and samples complete with her comments. She was a member of my guild, New York Guild of Handweavers and taught many of us.  And only a few years ago gave us a great hands on workshop on design.

Terrific lady. Sorry to see this.

Ann

I learned over the weekend that Nell Znamierowski passed away last week.
I don't know any further details and I have not seen an obituary posted yet.

For those who are not familiar with Nell, here is a link to her Wikipedia listing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nell_Znamierowski

margcoe

I long remember her workshop on color-and-weave. Illuminating

Sent from iDevice
coeweaves.com
e-weave-online.thinkific.com

On May 4, 2021, at 9:20 AM, Sally O <s.orgren@...> wrote:

I learned over the weekend that Nell Znamierowski passed away last week.
I don't know any further details and I have not seen an obituary posted yet.

For those who are not familiar with Nell, here is a link to her Wikipedia listing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nell_Znamierowski

Su Butler

So sorry to hear this……thanks for letting us know Sally.

Su

I learned over the weekend that Nell Znamierowski passed away last week.
I don't know any further details and I have not seen an obituary posted yet.

For those who are not familiar with Nell, here is a link to her Wikipedia listing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nell_Znamierowski

Janet Stollnitz

Nell Znamierowski was an inspiration to many aspiring weavers. I suspect that many weavers of my generation had a copy of “Step by Step Weaving.” At the time it was an inexpensive, illustrated guide to beginning weaving. Out of curiosity, I checked the internet for a copy of the book and what had been a $4.95 book is now selling for nearly $200.

My sister had taken a beginning weaving class from Nell in Brooklyn, NY. She was enthusiastic about the class and Nell as a teacher. (However, her passion turned to knitting.) Since I had heard much about Nell, I was excited to attend her presentation and workshop on color and weave at the Potomac Craftsmen Guild in the late 70s or early 80s.

Sally O

Nell attended the Weaving History Conference in 2016, and in 2017, The Thousand Islands Arts Center - Home of the Handweaving Museum, exhibited these pieces along with her books.

Janet Ducote

I fondly remember Nell from the New York Guild of Hand Weavers in the early 1990s - she was a special presence. To this day I still smile at her kindly explaining Lampas weave to me, a brand new weaver who most likely had just done her first project on a table loom - very lopsided 3/2 mercerized cotton place-matts!

Tina Broderson

I too used her book to begin weaving in 1972, when I made my first frame loom.  I still have it and cherish the weaving I did on it.  So sad to hear of her death.

Sara von Tresckow

For a rug you'll want some heft in your yarn. Then you also wish to spin for
a "closed" surface so it won't pill in use or become a dirt magnet.
The yarn can have some back curling and still weave a nice rug.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@woolgatherers.com
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs

Sharon Alderman

I, too, learned from Step By Step Weaving.  In fact, I had never seen a loom when I bought it.  I knew only that I wanted to weave.

I read that you could make magenta using dandelions.  Wow!  I dug up all of them in our yard and went next door to ask permission to dig at neighbors' homes.  I used the whole plant and got just "blah beige.  So I tried using only blossoms and then only roots (because they had a purple tinge) and again: 'blah beige"   I thought that if our paths ever crossed I would ask her about it.

Much later I met Nell when both of us were teaching at Fiber Forum on Whidbey Island.  (I loved teaching there!)  We were in the same barracks building, so I got to talk with her.  Eventually, I brought up the magenta issue.  She said she had heard that you could make magenta dye from dandelions.  So I told her about my attempts and that I had concluded that it wasn't possible.

But that was my only problem with that book.  And, I did learn to weave!

Sharon Alderman

Su Butler

HI Sharon….Supposedly you can make magenta dye ( a very light and desaturated magenta), as well as some reds, oranges, and yellows, from different parts of the dandelion plant.  To extract magenta you need to use  the spine of the leaf, and it requires you pre-mordant your yarn with alum.  The only info I could find was for dyeing wool.

From https://www.encyclopedia.com/plants-and-animals/plants/plants/dandelion is a quote:

Dandelion may be distinguished from other similar-looking herbs by the hollow, leafless flower stems that contain a bitter milky-white liquid also found in the root and leaves. The dark green dandelion leaves, with their irregular, deeply jagged margins, have a distinctive hairless mid-rib. The leaves are arranged in a rosette pattern, and may grow to 1.5 ft (45.7 cm) in length. They have a lovely magenta tint that extends up along the inner rib of the stalkless leaf. When the plant is used as a dye, it yields this purple hue”.

There is an article about getting red from dandelions at

https://localandbespoke.com/2014/08/14/dyeing-red-with-dandelion-more-speculation/

I would expect there are natural dyers who know how to extract a magenta from dandelions, but I cannot locate anything about it in my quick search.  I remember Nell talking about that a loooooong time ago too, and have often wondered if anyone achieved a magenta color.  One natural dyeing session back in my college days did yield a purple-is color…very muted and leaning towards grey on wool.

Best,

Su Butler

abr_elkins

And I learned to weave from the book and from my mentors, Matilda Bell and Helen Klekot.  I also dug up all the dandelions in my “lawn”, brought them to a boil, got no results.  So I dumped the results down the drain and had to call a plumber!  But I mastered the basics and have been grateful to Nell for all these many years.
Barbara Elkins

On May 5, 2021, at 1:45 PM, Sharon Alderman <Sharonsaweaver@...> wrote:

[...]

Joe P

Hi Everyone

I have never made dye using dandelions. Grandma made dandelion wine. Never, used the dandelion flowers out of the yard. We would walk along our farm fields to get the large dandelion flowers. I remember asking grandma why we did not use the dandelion flowers out of the yard. I was told they do not make good wine. The plant is not "mature" the wine has no flavor. My thinking the dye had to be made from mature dandelion plants as well. The root the size of a medium carrot.

The things we learned and remember from our loved ones. as well as so many important to each of us.

Keep Weaving
Joe Bear in WI U.S.A.