From: weavetech@groups.io <weavetech@groups.io> on behalf of nancy via groups.io <biggins@...>
Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2020 6:48 PM
To: weavetech@groups.io <weavetech@groups.io>; wolf@... <wolf@...>
Subject: Re: [weavetech] nancy asks re new topic

good persons, i have two questions.

one.... do any of you have good ideas about how to store little flash
drives or memory cards out of cameras??

two.... do you have good ways of marking them?  i have always marked
things with bright read nail polish but their surfaces are small and the
surfaces go inside the relevant ports... i would not want polish to rub
off inside a working port

i have been frustrated at the attempts to haul out one item at a time
and plug into laptop and see which what what it is, and then go to the
next one.

thank you,  nancy biggins,

whose sky is still full of smoke but i dont know from which direction or
which of several fires known to me.  i laughed at me.   one does not
suppose smoke carries id cards as it passes by one's nose as to
where/which it came from.

Elizabeth Moncrief

Nancy, craft store like Michaels have small (1x2”) zip locks. They may even have small er ones than that now. I have a collection of them that I use...and put a tag inside each, then they all go into a bigger zip lock.

Liz Moncrief, www.aweaversway.com
Instagram address: moncriefliz

On Sep 20, 2020, at 3:48 PM, nancy via groups.io <biggins=pacific.net@groups.io> wrote:

good persons, i have two questions.

one.... do any of you have good ideas about how to store little flash drives or memory cards out of cameras??

two.... do you have good ways of marking them? i have always marked things with bright read nail polish but their surfaces are small and the surfaces go inside the relevant ports... i would not want polish to rub off inside a working port

i have been frustrated at the attempts to haul out one item at a time and plug into laptop and see which what what it is, and then go to the next one.

thank you, nancy biggins,

whose sky is still full of smoke but i dont know from which direction or which of several fires known to me. i laughed at me. one does not suppose smoke carries id cards as it passes by one's nose as to where/which it came from.

Neal Goman

Transfer to a larger USB drive and use merchandise tags as labels. You can put multiple SD cards onto some of the newer USB drives.
Neal Goman.

On 9/20/2020 5:48 PM, nancy via groups.io wrote:
good persons, i have two questions.

one.... do any of you have good ideas about how to store little flash drives or memory cards out of cameras??

two.... do you have good ways of marking them?  i have always marked things with bright read nail polish but their surfaces are small and the surfaces go inside the relevant ports... i would not want polish to rub off inside a working port

i have been frustrated at the attempts to haul out one item at a time and plug into laptop and see which what what it is, and then go to the next one.

thank you,  nancy biggins,

whose sky is still full of smoke but i dont know from which direction or which of several fires known to me.  i laughed at me.   one does not suppose smoke carries id cards as it passes by one's nose as to where/which it came from.

Ann Barry

Are you talking about micro SD cards or the regular sized SD cards? You can number them with a Sharpie but nothing heavier. The best workflow when you are doing a photo session is to start with card #1 and go in order. When you are finished, you should download the photos onto your computer and check to see if everything is okay and then do a backup. You should not use the camera cards for storage. Also note that you should only delete and format the cards in your camera, not your computer. Doing it on your computer can cause problems. It also helps to have some sort of photo organization software, or at least a good structured filing system so it is easy to find your photos. I also highly recommend setting up a workflow and not changing it. Making frequent changes to your workflow will drive you crazy and you may lose valued data.

Flash drives or USB drives again should not be used for storage. They are great for transferring data, but they can go bad for no apparent reason. Or get lost......... In fact, when it comes to data storage, everything that can go wrong will go wrong so the best system is to have a backup method that includes external hard disks and cloud storage.

Ann Barry

Clare Settle

Amazon carries a variety of SD card storage cases at reasonable prices.

I also agree that day-to-day storage should be on a more versatile device (e.g., solid state drive). I have two backups scheduled to run multiple times a day. One backs up to the cloud and the other is to an external hard drive.

Clare

dragonlord0666

if you know anyone with a 3d printer they can print the storage, maybe even alter it to suit your needs etc.

Gaz