mounting transparency

Inga Marie Carmel

HI

I made allowances to hem the sides and bottom and put a casing at the top for a bar to hang this from. Now I’m wondering if there is a better way. Any suggestions? I have not secured the loose threads in back yet in this picture. I’d like to hang it so that light shines through, although the back won’t really hold up to close scrutiny ;)

marie

Inga Marie Carmel
Instagram @ingamarie
An interesting plainness is the most difficult and precious thing to achieve -  Mies van der Rohe

Sherri Coffey

Look at Laura Viada’s website. She mentioned a new way to display transparencies when she gave a program. Another option is sandwiched between plexiglass. 

On Thursday, May 12, 2022, Inga Marie Carmel <ingamariecarmel@...> wrote:
HI

I made allowances to hem the sides and bottom and put a casing at the top for a bar to hang this from. Now I’m wondering if there is a better way. Any suggestions? I have not secured the loose threads in back yet in this picture. I’d like to hang it so that light shines through, although the back won’t really hold up to close scrutiny ;)

marie

Inga Marie Carmel
Instagram @ingamarie
An interesting plainness is the most difficult and precious thing to achieve -  Mies van der Rohe

Sandaidh

I hang my transparency curtains by making a casing at the top and bottom and then inserting clear poly rods in the casings. The top rod has a small screw eye at each end for hanging. The top casing is large enough for the rod and screw eye to pass through. One could use an expandable curtain rod at the top though and it'd work just as well. Some weight at the bottom makes the transparency hang straight.

Sandy
sandaidh@...

----------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2022 7:38 PM
To: weavetech@groups.io
Subject: [weavetech] mounting transparency

HI

marie

Inga Marie Carmel
Instagram @ingamarie
ingamariecarmel@...
An interesting plainness is the most difficult and precious thing to achieve - Mies van der Rohe

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Susan Lee-Bechtold

Oh dear, please don’t sandwich any weaving between two pieces of plexi or glass, put spacers on the front or an acid free mat, and acid free mat board or acid free paper the behind the textile.  That’s a disaster waiting to happen.-Su who in another life saw some of these disasters.

From: weavetech@groups.io <weavetech@groups.io> On Behalf Of Sherri Coffey
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2022 6:15 PM
Subject: Re: [weavetech] mounting transparency

Look at Laura Viada’s website. She mentioned a new way to display transparencies when she gave a program. Another option is sandwiched between plexiglass. 

HI

marie

Inga Marie Carmel

Instagram @ingamarie

Sherri Coffey

Sorry, I guess I just assumed that everyone would realize that spacers would be needed. This would not be my favorite method anyway. 

On Thursday, May 12, 2022, Susan Lee-Bechtold <susanleebechtold@...> wrote:

Oh dear, please don’t sandwich any weaving between two pieces of plexi or glass, put spacers on the front or an acid free mat, and acid free mat board or acid free paper the behind the textile.  That’s a disaster waiting to happen.-Su who in another life saw some of these disasters.

From: weavetech@groups.io <weavetech@groups.io> On Behalf Of Sherri Coffey
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2022 6:15 PM
Subject: Re: [weavetech] mounting transparency

HI

marie

Inga Marie Carmel

Instagram @ingamarie

Inga Marie Carmel

Thanks. That’s kind of what I planned for. I was going to use a hollow metal rod. But plexiglass might be nicer. Glad to get validation on that. !

marie

Inga Marie Carmel

On May 12, 2022, at 19:26, Sandaidh <sandaidh@...> wrote:

I hang my transparency curtains by making a casing at the top and bottom and then inserting clear poly rods in the casings.  The top rod has a small screw eye at each end for hanging.  The top casing is large enough for the rod and screw eye to pass through.  One could use an expandable curtain rod at the top though and it'd work just as well.  Some weight at the bottom makes the transparency hang straight.

Sandy
sandaidh@...

----------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2022 7:38 PM

HI

marie

Inga Marie Carmel
Instagram @ingamarie
ingamariecarmel@...

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Inga Marie Carmel

Thanks Sherri, I’ll check with Laura. I’d like this to be looser than it would be between plexi… but just not saggy. 

marie

Inga Marie Carmel

On May 12, 2022, at 19:15, Sherri Coffey <sherri.w.coffey@...> wrote:

HI

marie

Inga Marie Carmel
Instagram @ingamarie

IMG_8561.jpeg

Sara von Tresckow

I have good results when hanging pieces when I insert some drapery cord that
is weighted in the lower hem. It balances the piece but is flexible enough
to accommodate any slight imperfections in the lower edge. I am used to
seeing transparencies hanging freely with both sides visible, often in
windows.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@...
Author of “When a Single Harness Simply Isn’t Enough”
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs

Nell

Hello, I made a stand with a metal rod, like this

Sheila Carey

Hi Marie

Here is another suggestion for mounting a small-ish transparency.  The top and bottom are sandwiched between two pieces of wood that was grooved to accept the depth of the cloth.  A piece of nylon fishing line was included in the top to create a hanger.

A picture containing text

Description automatically generated

Sheila

++++++++++++++

Sheila Carey

Courtenay, BC

sheila@...

Sent: May 12, 2022 4:38 PM

HI

marie

Inga Marie Carmel

Instagram @ingamarie

_._,_._,_

Inga Marie Carmel

Thank you.  Nice idea!
Inga Marie Carmel
Instagram @ingamarie

On May 13, 2022, at 12:10 PM, Sheila Carey <sheila@...> wrote:

Hi Marie

Here is another suggestion for mounting a small-ish transparency.  The top and bottom are sandwiched between two pieces of wood that was grooved to accept the depth of the cloth.  A piece of nylon fishing line was included in the top to create a hanger.

<image001.jpg>

Sheila

++++++++++++++
Sheila Carey
Courtenay, BC

Sent: May 12, 2022 4:38 PM
To: weavetech@groups.io
Subject: [weavetech] mounting transparency

HI

marie

Inga Marie Carmel
Instagram @ingamarie

<image002.jpg>

Neon22

I would not normally suggest clear acrylic but this might work:
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62D6NQTlXLs

Sara von Tresckow

That was pretty unprofessional in terms of textile knowledge - hanging those
pieces by the fringe(strings???) will not help them and put undue stress on
the weavings, even though small.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@...
Author of “When a Single Harness Simply Isn’t Enough”
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck