Maxx loom

Janet Yang <jyang949@...>

What is the maximum practicable width for a loom, assuming:

the weaver is a woman of average physique and condition
a stationary weaving bench
the shuttle is thrown and caught by hand

Suppose a particular weave requires a very firm beat. Are there
mechanical devices that can add force to the forward swing of the
beater, without impeding the return swing?

Janet

Lynne E. Chick <lchick@...>

What is the maximum practicable width for a loom, assuming:

the weaver is a woman of average physique and condition
a stationary weaving bench
the shuttle is thrown and caught by hand

Suppose a particular weave requires a very firm beat. Are there
mechanical devices that can add force to the forward swing of the
beater, without impeding the return swing?

Janet

Hi Janet,

I've been weaving on a 60" Toika for about 2 years now. I am 5' 2" and
maybe a little more than average physical condition because I had been doing
upholstery for 12 years, and I've never been what I'd call a dainty person.
I do not constantly weave that width, though. I do have to lean from side
to side to catch the shuttle, but I do not find that a problem. I think
that the width a woman or man can do is whatever they can do comfortably
without causing physical damage to their body. I have a stationary bench.

I have used the Toika for making rag rugs as well as lighter weight things,
but I had to put two 50 pound sand bags on the lower back beam to weight it
down because it moved around with the firm beating while making rag rugs.
The floor under my loom is cement with a carpet over it. The beater on my
loom is underslung, but you will hear from people with an overhead beater,
who swear by it for especially beating rugs.

Lynne in Maine
http://www.weaveworks.com