Looms with Low Profiles...

jaakaa@...

The Megado is a 32-shaft computer-aided loom manufactured by Louet.
If you're not interested in lots of shafts or CAW, this loom isn't
for you.
Boy, I'll say, Ruth! Whew! Not being a "complex weaver" - though I
admire, greatly, those who are, holding them in utter awe and
fascination! - you're right.

However, I would really like to hear from anyone about lower profile
looms that would be suitable for rug/weft faced/tapestry weaving.

Kris in Alaska

Ingrid Boesel <ingrid@...>

Hi Chris
Why not investigate the various loom manufacturers by looking at their websites.
If you go to Ruthe Stowe's Weaving resources and click on looms, you will get links to all the loom manufactures you ever dreamed of

http://home.interlynx.net/~rstowe/

Some of the "high profile" looms are easy to see through and others are not. The Counterbalanced looms from LeClerc are easy to see through as there are only 3 rollers high up

Others are hard to see through. Go have a look at websites

My choice of 8 shaft looms (alphabetical) all good sturdy looms
AVL: Home loom easy side tieup
Louet: Spring
Schacht: Mighty Wolf with or without the high castle

Ingrid Boesel, the weaving half of Fiberworks PCW

Visit us at: http://www.fiberworks-pcw.com
Email: ingrid@fiberworks-pcw.com

Ruth Blau <ruthblau@...>

Ingrid wrote:

My choice of 8 shaft looms (alphabetical) all good sturdy looms
AVL: Home loom easy side tieup
Louet: Spring
Schacht: Mighty Wolf with or without the high castle
Kris had said she was interested in rugs/weft faced weaving/tapestry. Beware of the Mighty Wolf (or IMHO *any* X-frame loom) for rugs or other heavy duty work. You probably won't be happy w/ the tension, and if you do a lot of rugs on an MW, you'll beat it to death. I believe Schacht itself urges that you not weave too many rugs per year on the MW.

Ruth

Alcorn <alcorn@...>

I am very surprised that no one has mentioned the beautiful and wonderful
Gilmore as a low profile loom. It is very sturdy, and has the ratchet and
pawl breaking system. The wood is a gorgeous clear unstained maple. With
8 shafts you get 14 treadles. It can only be ordered from the factory
which saves a good bit of money. With a weight bar added to the beater one
can easily beat hard enough for rugs for a long time and not damage the
loom. It is such a sweet loom, a real class act.

Francie Alcorn

Ingrid Boesel <ingrid@...>

My choice of 8 shaft looms (alphabetical) all good sturdy looms
AVL: Home loom easy side tieup
Louet: Spring
Schacht: Mighty Wolf with or without the high castle
Kris had said she was interested in rugs/weft faced
weaving/tapestry. Beware of the Mighty Wolf (or IMHO *any* X-frame loom)
for rugs or other heavy duty work. You probably won't be happy w/ the
tension, and if you do a lot of rugs on an MW, you'll beat it to death. I
believe Schacht itself urges that you not weave too many rugs per year on
the MW.

Sorry, I meant the full frame Schacht loom, whose name I cannot remember, not the x frame. I don't know if the full frame is still made

And I forgot the Woolhouse great sturdy looms but usually overhead beater and CM

I know the Jmade had non computer looms but I have not seen them. But looking at the JComp, my feeling is that this would be a really well made loom.

The Gilmore does not make my list because of the rachet and pawl brake, but then I do not weave rugs.

And the Louet Delta is the replacement for the Hollandia, low profile, lower than the Megado, sturdy enough for rugs, 8 or 12 shafts. (and you could probably special order the wider loom with 8 shafts and 14 treadles)

Ingrid Boesel, the weaving half of Fiberworks PCW

Visit us at: http://www.fiberworks-pcw.com
Email: ingrid@fiberworks-pcw.com

Russell Currier <russell.currier@...>

I couldn't agree with you more.

Kyo Currier, also in Alaska

I am very surprised that no one has mentioned the beautiful and wonderful
Gilmore as a low profile loom. It is very sturdy, and has the ratchet and
pawl breaking system. The wood is a gorgeous clear unstained maple. With
8 shafts you get 14 treadles. It can only be ordered from the factory
which saves a good bit of money. With a weight bar added to the beater
one
can easily beat hard enough for rugs for a long time and not damage the
loom. It is such a sweet loom, a real class act.

Francie Alcorn

Alcorn <alcorn@...>

There is also the 8 shaft low profile "work of art" Fireside looms made in
Port Ludlow, Washington. The Fireside loom uses a stainless steel worm
screw to advance the warp. I don't know how well the worm screw system
would behave with the heavy beating for rugs. The loom is a wood workers
dream and is very sturdy and very heavy. Every time one walks by a
Fireside one wants to fondle the wood. The Fireside is several times more
expensive than the Gilmore.

Fireside also makes that wonderful "commuter bench where the seat slides
easily on ball bearings.

Francie