Live tension: Warp with a Trapeze and Dance with your Loom

Kati Meek

Thank you Marg for mentioning the book!
I was negligent in failing to say the 3rd edition of Warp with a Trapeze and Dance with your Loom is now available from Vav Stuga, www.vavstuga.com 
Treadle with Joy, Kati

Rob

I have your book Katie.  I know Tom Knisley and your book discuss the trapeze.  However, I’ve never seen this mentioned in any book regarding jack looms.  Is there a reason for this or perhaps I’m reading the wrong books.  

Rob

On Jun 13, 2021, at 11:29 AM, Kati Meek <krmeek@...> wrote:

I was negligent in failing to say the 3rd edition of Warp with a Trapeze and Dance with your Loom is now available from Vav Stuga, www.vavstuga.com 
Treadle with Joy, Kati

nancy

i old woman/nancy have done this with jack loom by standing my sixfoot ladder next to loom.  not elegant, but workable

/s/nancy biggins

On 6/13/2021 8:53 AM, Rob via groups.io wrote:
I have your book Katie.  I know Tom Knisley and your book discuss the trapeze.  However, I’ve never seen this mentioned in any book regarding jack looms.  Is there a reason for this or perhaps I’m reading the wrong books.  

Rob

On Jun 13, 2021, at 11:29 AM, Kati Meek <krmeek@...> wrote:

Treadle with Joy, Kati

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Linda Schultz

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 08:53 AM, Rob wrote:
However, I’ve never seen this mentioned in any book regarding jack looms.
Hi Rob, I wouldn't read too much into that. I've used (something like) a trapeze for dressing jack looms, and warping both back-to-front and front-to-back. It works fine for a variety of looms/methods.

Linda

margcoe

Hi Rob

AVL Looms, until the recent K Loom, are mostly Jack looms and have live tensioning on the warp beam. The K loom is different. It is countermarch with warp beam and automatic tension built in. The warp beam tension is set online and WIFI is used to connect to the loom. Then each time the shed changes the warp moves forward for the number of picks per inch set.

Marg

Marg Coe
coeweaves.com
e-weave-online.thinkific.com

Rob

This is really interesting - picks like pixels 80> lines per inch. But I am at lost to find it’s relationship with two boards and a bar extending up away past the warp beam to the rear. There clusters of warp ends with weights tied to ‘em dangle about providing much needed tension so to wind on. Not a solenoid to the soul!

On Jun 13, 2021, at 3:59 PM, margcoe <coe@coeweaves.com> wrote:

Hi Rob

AVL Looms, until the recent K Loom, are mostly Jack looms and have live tensioning on the warp beam. The K loom is different. It is countermarch with warp beam and automatic tension built in. The warp beam tension is set online and WIFI is used to connect to the loom. Then each time the shed changes the warp moves forward for the number of picks per inch set.

Marg

Marg Coe
coeweaves.com
e-weave-online.thinkific.com

Joe P

Hi Everyone 

I have a question. (What is the difference between a live tension and a friction break) ? 

Keep Weaving 
Joe Bear in WI U.S.A. 

From: weavetech@groups.io <weavetech@groups.io> on behalf of Rob via groups.io <Speyerdom@...>
Sent: Sunday, June 13, 2021 8:36 PM
To: weavetech@groups.io <weavetech@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [weavetech] Live tension: Warp with a Trapeze and Dance with your Loom

This is really interesting - picks like pixels 80> lines per inch.  But I am at lost to find it’s relationship with two boards and a bar extending up away past the warp beam to the rear. There clusters of warp ends with weights tied to ‘em dangle about providing much needed tension so to wind on.   Not a solenoid to the soul!
> On Jun 13, 2021, at 3:59 PM, margcoe <coe@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Rob
>
> AVL Looms, until the recent K Loom, are mostly Jack looms and have live tensioning on the warp beam. The K loom is different. It is countermarch with warp beam and automatic tension built in. The warp beam tension is set online and WIFI is used to connect to the loom. Then each time the shed changes the warp moves forward for the number of picks per inch set.
>
> Marg
>
>
> Marg Coe
> coeweaves.com
> e-weave-online.thinkific.com
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Diane

Here's a blog post by Tien Chiu that describes live tension with pictures - https://www.tienchiu.com/2009/05/live-weight-warp-tensioning-system/

It's something I've been meaning to try - maybe this summer I'll actually do it!

By the way, my AVL V-series does not use live tension - it has a friction brake.

Diane

Diane

They are 2 separate things.  The trapeze is a warping aid that helps with winding on a warp with even tension.

The live tension weight system is used to add resistance to the warp beam during weaving, INSTEAD OF the friction or ratchet brake that is normally on the warp beam.

Diane

Joe P

Hi Everyone 

Yes, I know the difference between a "warping trapeze" and a "live tension" or "friction brake" My question had nothing to do with a warp trapeze.  

There is not any difference between a live tension and a friction brake. A cable is used or a rope spring and a wing nut to add more pull on the spring to stop the rope or cable form slipping to keep the warp beam from turning. To give tension. It is also the same idea for the AVL loom The cloth beam still has a rachet, that has to be used, to advance the warp. The design might be different but, the priceable is the same. 

Keep Weaving 
Joe Bear in WI U.S.A.  

From: weavetech@groups.io <weavetech@groups.io> on behalf of Diane via groups.io <tdpigg@...>
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2021 11:49 AM
To: weavetech@groups.io <weavetech@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [weavetech] Live tension: Warp with a Trapeze and Dance with your Loom

They are 2 separate things.  The trapeze is a warping aid that helps with winding on a warp with even tension.

The live tension weight system is used to add resistance to the warp beam during weaving, INSTEAD OF the friction or ratchet brake that is normally on the warp beam.

Diane

Paula Becker

The reason I've heard for using live tension is to prevent the warp beam from possibly snapping forward when tension is released on the cloth beam.

Jan in Seattle

For AVL V-series looms you actually have a choice: locking brake or dynamic (live weight) braking system. 

Jan in Seattle

bigwhitesofadog

Joe is right that friction from a cord is used for both live weight
tension and a friction brake. They are not the same. A friction
brake has a set attachment of the cord on the loom frame. When the
warp is advanced, this attachment must be detached to allow the warp
to move. The usual routine is to release the brake, advance the warp,
reset the brake. Some looms have an additional step to release
tension on the warp before releasing the brake. With live weight,
there is no attachment of the friction cord to the loom frame, and no
release. The cord is attached to a weight, which can move up and
down. As you wind cloth on the cloth beam, the weight moves up,
tension is lessened, and warp is released. So all you do weaving is
wind on cloth as it forms. The reason for using a live weight is that
it weaving is much faster, since you don't have to stop to release and
reset the brake.
Sandra

Kati Meek

Thank you good students,
     For those not familiar with the low-tech version of live-weight tension: The loom is set up using the loom brake.  Once warping is complete with all warp tensioned evenly, THEN a cord is wound around the end of the warp beam - on the wood - usually three times -  then a heavy weight to supply tension to the warp is secured to one end - (for most looms this will be on the outside) and a much smaller weight (counter-weight) on the other end about 18 inches above the floor - this holds friction on the cord to support the heavy.tensioning weight.  I leave the heavy weight on the floor until the counterweight is secured.  Then I lift the heavy weight only enough to clear the floor. if the cord wraps slip, wrap the cord an additional time around the beam. The loom's warp-beam brake is then disengaged so the only tension on the warp is from the heavy weight. If there is not enough tension on the warp to make a clean shed and resist the desired beat, then add more weight to the heavy side.  The first set-up takes a bit of trial and error, then it is quick to adjust for different projects.  When weaving rugs where board-hard tension is desired, the loom's brake will be needed but I keep the live-weight tension engaged to eliminate the 'spill' of warp when high tension is released at the cloth beam. The warp beam will rock forward slightly as the shed is made. I just wove a 40/1 linen warp with very little breakage:-)
       While weaving and advancing the cloth, the heavy weight will rise UNTIL the counterweight touches the floor releasing the friction of the cord on the beam, which will cause the heavy weight to descend a wee bit, resuming it's job until next cloth advance... and so on, until the warp is woven off.  If a weave is begun with a very large warp roll, about half way through you will want to reduce the heavy weight slightly to maintain similar warp-tension. This accommodates the change in leverage of the diameters of the warp roll vs,beam.  Just go back to H.S. physics.
      Treadle with Joy, Kati
Treehouse Studio
Alpena on the 45th