Live tension: Warp with a Trapeze and Dance with your Loom

Kati Meek

Thank you Marg for mentioning the book!
I was negligent in failing to say the 3rd edition of Warp with a Trapeze and Dance with your Loom is now available from Vav Stuga, www.vavstuga.com
Treadle with Joy, Kati

Rob

I have your book Katie.  I know Tom Knisley and your book discuss the trapeze.  However, I’ve never seen this mentioned in any book regarding jack looms.  Is there a reason for this or perhaps I’m reading the wrong books.

Rob

On Jun 13, 2021, at 11:29 AM, Kati Meek <krmeek@...> wrote:

Thank you Marg for mentioning the book!
I was negligent in failing to say the 3rd edition of Warp with a Trapeze and Dance with your Loom is now available from Vav Stuga, www.vavstuga.com
Treadle with Joy, Kati

nancy

i old woman/nancy have done this with jack loom by standing my sixfoot ladder next to loom.  not elegant, but workable

/s/nancy biggins

On 6/13/2021 8:53 AM, Rob via groups.io wrote:
I have your book Katie.  I know Tom Knisley and your book discuss the trapeze.  However, I’ve never seen this mentioned in any book regarding jack looms.  Is there a reason for this or perhaps I’m reading the wrong books.

Rob

On Jun 13, 2021, at 11:29 AM, Kati Meek <krmeek@...> wrote:

Thank you Marg for mentioning the book!
I was negligent in failing to say the 3rd edition of Warp with a Trapeze and Dance with your Loom is now available from Vav Stuga, www.vavstuga.com
Treadle with Joy, Kati

Linda Schultz

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 08:53 AM, Rob wrote:
However, I’ve never seen this mentioned in any book regarding jack looms.
Hi Rob, I wouldn't read too much into that. I've used (something like) a trapeze for dressing jack looms, and warping both back-to-front and front-to-back. It works fine for a variety of looms/methods.

Linda

margcoe

Hi Rob

AVL Looms, until the recent K Loom, are mostly Jack looms and have live tensioning on the warp beam. The K loom is different. It is countermarch with warp beam and automatic tension built in. The warp beam tension is set online and WIFI is used to connect to the loom. Then each time the shed changes the warp moves forward for the number of picks per inch set.

Marg

Marg Coe
coeweaves.com
e-weave-online.thinkific.com

Rob

This is really interesting - picks like pixels 80> lines per inch. But I am at lost to find it’s relationship with two boards and a bar extending up away past the warp beam to the rear. There clusters of warp ends with weights tied to ‘em dangle about providing much needed tension so to wind on. Not a solenoid to the soul!

On Jun 13, 2021, at 3:59 PM, margcoe <coe@coeweaves.com> wrote:

Hi Rob

AVL Looms, until the recent K Loom, are mostly Jack looms and have live tensioning on the warp beam. The K loom is different. It is countermarch with warp beam and automatic tension built in. The warp beam tension is set online and WIFI is used to connect to the loom. Then each time the shed changes the warp moves forward for the number of picks per inch set.

Marg

Marg Coe
coeweaves.com
e-weave-online.thinkific.com

Joe P

Hi Everyone

I have a question. (What is the difference between a live tension and a friction break) ?

Keep Weaving
Joe Bear in WI U.S.A.

This is really interesting - picks like pixels 80> lines per inch.  But I am at lost to find it’s relationship with two boards and a bar extending up away past the warp beam to the rear. There clusters of warp ends with weights tied to ‘em dangle about providing much needed tension so to wind on.   Not a solenoid to the soul!
> On Jun 13, 2021, at 3:59 PM, margcoe <coe@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Rob
>
> AVL Looms, until the recent K Loom, are mostly Jack looms and have live tensioning on the warp beam. The K loom is different. It is countermarch with warp beam and automatic tension built in. The warp beam tension is set online and WIFI is used to connect to the loom. Then each time the shed changes the warp moves forward for the number of picks per inch set.
>
> Marg
>

> Marg Coe
> coeweaves.com
> e-weave-online.thinkific.com

Diane

Here's a blog post by Tien Chiu that describes live tension with pictures - https://www.tienchiu.com/2009/05/live-weight-warp-tensioning-system/

It's something I've been meaning to try - maybe this summer I'll actually do it!

By the way, my AVL V-series does not use live tension - it has a friction brake.

Diane

Diane

They are 2 separate things.  The trapeze is a warping aid that helps with winding on a warp with even tension.

The live tension weight system is used to add resistance to the warp beam during weaving, INSTEAD OF the friction or ratchet brake that is normally on the warp beam.

Diane

Joe P

Hi Everyone

Yes, I know the difference between a "warping trapeze" and a "live tension" or "friction brake" My question had nothing to do with a warp trapeze.

There is not any difference between a live tension and a friction brake. A cable is used or a rope spring and a wing nut to add more pull on the spring to stop the rope or cable form slipping to keep the warp beam from turning. To give tension. It is also the same idea for the AVL loom The cloth beam still has a rachet, that has to be used, to advance the warp. The design might be different but, the priceable is the same.

Keep Weaving
Joe Bear in WI U.S.A.