Live tension for ashford Katie table loom #tableloom

Janell Neulinger

Hi!

I decided to supplement my floor loom with an Ashford Katie table loom for portability, and while I wait for it to arrive I thought I would get the live tension bits ready.

Folks with small looms for narrow <=12” warps: how much weight are you using on the ‘heavy’ side? And what are you using?

My idea was to use a beam-width length of rebar (or stainless laboratory ‘cage’ bar). The big loom has a pair of canoe anchors… I am familiar with the concept and just looking for specific implementation info for teensy looms.

thanks!

—janell

Lorelei Caracausa

I have been known to hang smallish cloth bags on the tension bar, and then can add and subtract weight until I am happy with it

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021, 5:21 PM Janell Neulinger <janell.neulinger@...> wrote:

Hi!

I decided to supplement my floor loom with an Ashford Katie table loom for portability, and while I wait for it to arrive I thought I would get the live tension bits ready.

Folks with small looms for narrow <=12” warps: how much weight are you using on the ‘heavy’ side? And what are you using?

My idea was to use a beam-width length of rebar (or stainless laboratory ‘cage’ bar). The big loom has a pair of canoe anchors… I am familiar with the concept and just looking for specific implementation info for teensy looms.

thanks!

—janell

Kati Meek

Congratulations Janell, on adding to your 'loom stable'  My workshop students are advised to bring a gallon jug with a water bottle for counterweight. We start with 1/2 gallon of water and add if the tension is not sufficient to resist the desired ppi.  Looms usually have a brake on only one side, so a tensioning weight on one side of the beam is usually sufficient for small looms.  Treadle with Joy, Kati

Kati Meek
Treehouse Studio

Janell Neulinger

That’s super helpful. A half gallon starting point = 4 pounds.

Thanks!

Pamela Graham

Please forgive my ignorance but what exactly is live tension and when would one use it?

Thank you!
Pam

On Jun 11, 2021, at 6:46 PM, Lorelei Caracausa <beeweaverstudio@...> wrote:

I have been known to hang smallish cloth bags on the tension bar, and then can add and subtract weight until I am happy with it

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021, 5:21 PM Janell Neulinger <janell.neulinger@...> wrote:

Hi!

I decided to supplement my floor loom with an Ashford Katie table loom for portability, and while I wait for it to arrive I thought I would get the live tension bits ready.

Folks with small looms for narrow <=12” warps: how much weight are you using on the ‘heavy’ side? And what are you using?

My idea was to use a beam-width length of rebar (or stainless laboratory ‘cage’ bar). The big loom has a pair of canoe anchors… I am familiar with the concept and just looking for specific implementation info for teensy looms.

thanks!

—janell

margcoe

It is a form of brake for the warp beam that allows the warp to move forward maintaining a consistent tension as you weave. Some looms come with live tension, such as most of the AVL looms. It can be added to most other looms. Kati Reeder Meek wrote a great little book on the system “Warp With a Trapeze and Dance With Your Loom.”

Marg

Marg Coe
coeweaves.com
e-weave-online.thinkific.com

On Jun 12, 2021, at 2:50 PM, Pamela Graham <pgraham173@comcast.net> wrote:

Please forgive my ignorance but what exactly is live tension and when would one use it?

Thank you!
Pam

Pamela Graham

Thanks for the info. I actually have that book…will check it out.
Pam

On Jun 11, 2021, at 6:21 PM, Janell Neulinger <janell.neulinger@...> wrote:

Hi!

I decided to supplement my floor loom with an Ashford Katie table loom for portability, and while I wait for it to arrive I thought I would get the live tension bits ready.

Folks with small looms for narrow <=12” warps: how much weight are you using on the ‘heavy’ side? And what are you using?

My idea was to use a beam-width length of rebar (or stainless laboratory ‘cage’ bar). The big loom has a pair of canoe anchors… I am familiar with the concept and just looking for specific implementation info for teensy looms.

thanks!

—janell

Pat Bullen

I like small recyclable water bottles.  Easy to adjust weight by adding/subtracting water.
I tie a tight cord around the neck and use a closable metal hook or S hook to hang it.
Pat Bullen