Topics

labeling yarn tubes

jane@...

I am buying more yarn that comes on tubes rather than cones. Sticking folded paper labels into the tubes is precarious at best.  I'd like a way to permanently label the tubes so that I can easily identify color, weight, source without interfering with winding yarn off the tubes. Do you have a system that works for you?

Ian Bowers

In a (plastic) bag and label the bag.

Ian Bowers (Dr)
Managing Director
George Weil &Sons Ltd

On 12 Aug 2020, at 15:55, jane via groups.io <jane@...> wrote:

I am buying more yarn that comes on tubes rather than cones. Sticking folded paper labels into the tubes is precarious at best.  I'd like a way to permanently label the tubes so that I can easily identify color, weight, source without interfering with winding yarn off the tubes. Do you have a system that works for you?

Deanna Johnson

Colored paperclips. Color can indicate fiber type, bend one end of the clip to make a sort of latch to plug it into the end of the tube. If you need to add info, you can slip a small piece of paper in the clip.

Deanna

On Aug 12, 2020, at 7:55 AM, jane@... wrote:

I am buying more yarn that comes on tubes rather than cones. Sticking folded paper labels into the tubes is precarious at best.  I'd like a way to permanently label the tubes so that I can easily identify color, weight, source without interfering with winding yarn off the tubes. Do you have a system that works for you?

Deanna Johnson

Or search for “bobbin buddies” on Amazon. :-)

Joe P

Hi Everyone

I write what the fiber is on a 3x5 card, then put the spool of fiber and card in a zip lock bag. I don't write on the bag so I can reuse the bag.

When I buy cones of fiber lest say 4-5 pounds, I use zip lock pillow bags I put four cones in one they are nice and big and fit nice on shelving.

When design a pattern and I am working on the designing and picking the fibers my notes and the woven sample all go into a zip lock bag.

Myself I like the gallon size zip locks and the pillow size zip lock bags

Keep Weaving
Joe Bear in WI U.S.A.