Topics

labeling yarn tubes

jane@...

I am buying more yarn that comes on tubes rather than cones. Sticking folded paper labels into the tubes is precarious at best.  I'd like a way to permanently label the tubes so that I can easily identify color, weight, source without interfering with winding yarn off the tubes. Do you have a system that works for you?

Ian Bowers

In a (plastic) bag and label the bag. 

Ian Bowers (Dr)
Managing Director 
George Weil &Sons Ltd 

On 12 Aug 2020, at 15:55, jane via groups.io <jane@...> wrote:

I am buying more yarn that comes on tubes rather than cones. Sticking folded paper labels into the tubes is precarious at best.  I'd like a way to permanently label the tubes so that I can easily identify color, weight, source without interfering with winding yarn off the tubes. Do you have a system that works for you?

Deanna Johnson

Colored paperclips. Color can indicate fiber type, bend one end of the clip to make a sort of latch to plug it into the end of the tube. If you need to add info, you can slip a small piece of paper in the clip.

Deanna

On Aug 12, 2020, at 7:55 AM, jane@... wrote:

Deanna Johnson

Or search for “bobbin buddies” on Amazon. :-)

Joe P

Hi Everyone 

I write what the fiber is on a 3x5 card, then put the spool of fiber and card in a zip lock bag. I don't write on the bag so I can reuse the bag.

When I buy cones of fiber lest say 4-5 pounds, I use zip lock pillow bags I put four cones in one they are nice and big and fit nice on shelving. 

When design a pattern and I am working on the designing and picking the fibers my notes and the woven sample all go into a zip lock bag. 

Myself I like the gallon size zip locks and the pillow size zip lock bags 

Keep Weaving 
Joe Bear in WI U.S.A.  

From: weavetech@groups.io <weavetech@groups.io> on behalf of Deanna Johnson <deannaj@...>
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 10:39 AM
To: weavetech@groups.io <weavetech@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [weavetech] labeling yarn tubes

Or search for “bobbin buddies” on Amazon. :-)

DOBATAF@...

I use a piece of masking tape, write the info on the tape and stick it to the tube. Barbara

Sally O

Perhaps not as good of an idea as Deanna's answer, but I use a fine-tipped Sharpie and write the content and grist on the rim of the tube, very small.

jane@...

I've ordered 100 quart sized zip lock bags and some paper tags with string. Will either come up with an abbreviation scheme for the tags or use MS Excel to capture the details.

Went with bags due to the film of dust that has accumulated on some of the older tubes I have.

Thanks everyone.

Alaire Rieffel

I have a p-touch label maker from Staples that I use for everything around the house. It would be a simple matter to stick the label on the inside of the cone. Should still be able to read it. 

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 10:55 AM <jane@...> wrote:
I am buying more yarn that comes on tubes rather than cones. Sticking folded paper labels into the tubes is precarious at best.  I'd like a way to permanently label the tubes so that I can easily identify color, weight, source without interfering with winding yarn off the tubes. Do you have a system that works for you?

--
Alaire Rieffel

DOBATAF@...

I should have said I stick the masking tape on the yarn on the tube. I usually put it to cover the loose end of the yarn. 

jane@...

Edited

Alaire, I've had trouble reading labels stuck into tubes (not cones) without removing them.

Susan Lee-Bechtold

Me too. It gives me a headache!-the other Su

From: weavetech@groups.io [mailto:weavetech@groups.io] On Behalf Of jane@...
Sent: Saturday, August 15, 2020 6:50 AM
To: weavetech@groups.io
Subject: Re: [weavetech] labeling yarn tubes

[Edited Message Follows]

Alaire, I've had trouble reading labels stuck into tubes (not cones) without removing them.