Topics

Heddles and sharpies

Amy Somerstein

I bought some bright colored sharpies to mark my heddles. They are labeled “permanent marker”. 24 hours later, the color smudges.   I’m assuming I overdid the amount of marker needed. Has anybody had the same experience, or have any suggestions of what to do to fix this?? Obviously I don’t want any marker coming off on my yarn. The only thing I can think of is to get a damp washcloth and keep scrubbing until they stop bleeding? Any help would be appreciated!
Thank you

Margaret Welch

Are your heddles metal or texsolv or ?
Meg Welch

On Oct 25, 2020, at 10:08 AM, Amy Somerstein <amy.somerstein@...> wrote:

I bought some bright colored sharpies to mark my heddles. They are labeled “permanent marker”. 24 hours later, the color smudges.   I’m assuming I overdid the amount of marker needed. Has anybody had the same experience, or have any suggestions of what to do to fix this?? Obviously I don’t want any marker coming off on my yarn. The only thing I can think of is to get a damp washcloth and keep scrubbing until they stop bleeding? Any help would be appreciated!
Thank you

Lorelei Caracausa

If you are referring to Texsolv heddles, yes, I had that happen.  Isopropyl alcohol will dissolve (spread) the colors.  But this is why I use thin acrylic paints

--
Lorelei

Laura Sniderman

Alcohol might remove excess or all of the marker.  I use a small jar of car touch up paint and a q-tip to mark the top of heddles so they all slant the same way when threading onto the heddle bars.
Laura Sniderman
Ada, MI

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 10:08 AM Amy Somerstein <amy.somerstein@...> wrote:
I bought some bright colored sharpies to mark my heddles. They are labeled “permanent marker”. 24 hours later, the color smudges.   I’m assuming I overdid the amount of marker needed. Has anybody had the same experience, or have any suggestions of what to do to fix this?? Obviously I don’t want any marker coming off on my yarn. The only thing I can think of is to get a damp washcloth and keep scrubbing until they stop bleeding? Any help would be appreciated!
Thank you

Amy Somerstein

Having colored almost 1000 heddles, I’m hoping for a way to set the color or stop the bleeding as opposed to removing it.  Maybe I’m hoping for the impossible, but I figured it was worth asking.

Syne Mitchell

Wash them with a color trapper thing in the laundry? Might be worth a shot.

Googling finds that the rubbing alcohol suggestion others have made along with blotting with paper towels may work: https://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-get-permanent-marker-out-of-clothes.htm#:~:text=Dip%20a%20cloth%20or%20sponge,directed%20in%20the%20washing%20machine.

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 8:19 AM Amy Somerstein <amy.somerstein@...> wrote:
Having colored almost 1000 heddles, I’m hoping for a way to set the color or stop the bleeding as opposed to removing it.  Maybe I’m hoping for the impossible, but I figured it was worth asking.

Fran Osten

I feel very lucky.  The previous owner of my Megado dyed the texsolv heddles—a godsend with 32 shafts!

On Oct 25, 2020, at 11:19 AM, Amy Somerstein <amy.somerstein@...> wrote:

Having colored almost 1000 heddles, I’m hoping for a way to set the color or stop the bleeding as opposed to removing it.  Maybe I’m hoping for the impossible, but I figured it was worth asking.

Charles Colht

I used Sharpie "Stained" fabric markers and the colors don't rub off or fade. Regular sharpies don't penetrate the synthetic material
Had to use 2 packs for the 2000 heddles but I only used 4 colors repeated every 4 shafts

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020, 7:19 AM Amy Somerstein <amy.somerstein@...> wrote:
Having colored almost 1000 heddles, I’m hoping for a way to set the color or stop the bleeding as opposed to removing it.  Maybe I’m hoping for the impossible, but I figured it was worth asking.

Alaire Rieffel

On my metal heddles I have used nail polish. Yellow, purple, green.... Comes in handy all over the house.

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 1:50 PM Charles Colht <chuck@...> wrote:
I used Sharpie "Stained" fabric markers and the colors don't rub off or fade. Regular sharpies don't penetrate the synthetic material
Had to use 2 packs for the 2000 heddles but I only used 4 colors repeated every 4 shafts

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020, 7:19 AM Amy Somerstein <amy.somerstein@...> wrote:
Having colored almost 1000 heddles, I’m hoping for a way to set the color or stop the bleeding as opposed to removing it.  Maybe I’m hoping for the impossible, but I figured it was worth asking.

--
Alaire Rieffel

Pat

If you get a chance (e.i. new loom or new heddles),  it is easy to dye the texsolv heddles using disperse dyes.  I've done several sets of heddles for my looms and friend's using the starter kit from ProChemical and did not use the nasty/toxic dye carrier NSC.   The colors were bright pastels and easy to tell apart.

Pat Brown