grip strength

Laurie Schellinger

I have arthritis in my hands and I am having trouble with my warps because my grip strength is getting bad. Does anyone else have this problem? Do you have any helpful hints? Thanks Laurie

Mo B

What type of trouble at what step in warping.  If you mean tensioning the warp on the loom try to Wrap the warp around a piece of heavy dowl.  Easier to pull tight.

On Sun, Aug 29, 2021 at 12:48 PM Laurie Schellinger <lschell545@...> wrote:
I have arthritis in my hands and I am having trouble with my warps because my grip strength is getting bad. Does anyone else have this problem? Do you have any helpful hints? Thanks Laurie

kathyo

Me too!
I now use a trapeze and 1-3 pound hand weights to wind on.
To tie on after winding on, I lash on in 1” bouts... sometimes I make the lash group bouts 1/2”...

kathyo

On Aug 29, 2021, at 11:48 AM, Laurie Schellinger <lschell545@...> wrote:
I have arthritis in my hands and I am having trouble with my warps because my grip strength is getting bad. Does anyone else have this problem? Do you have any helpful hints? Thanks_._,_._,_

Margaret Welch

That’s when I went to warping sectionally. The tensioner does the tensioning and I can stop when it starts to hurt and come back as long as I don’t change the tensioner.  It’s like discovering jar openers. Meg Welch

On Aug 29, 2021, at 12:48, Laurie Schellinger <lschell545@...> wrote:

I have arthritis in my hands and I am having trouble with my warps because my grip strength is getting bad. Does anyone else have this problem? Do you have any helpful hints? Thanks Laurie

Louise Yale

When I roll on a warp from the front, I insert 2 dowels in front of the
reed in plain weave (1/3 & 2/4 or as close as possible) and use them as
tensioners.
Louise in NorCal

On Aug 29, 2021, at 12:48, Laurie Schellinger <lschell545@gmail.com>
wrote:

I have arthritis in my hands and I am having trouble with my warps
because my grip strength is getting bad. Does anyone else have this
problem? Do you have any helpful hints? Thanks Laurie

Sara von Tresckow

When tying on, do remember that the tension need only be "consistent" in all
bouts. The really firm tension is achieved by advancing the evenly tensioned
warp.
Winding on can be done by wrapping the chains around the breast beam to get
more drag and after a round or two, tugged tightly to take out any slack.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@woolgatherers.com
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs

Laurie Schellinger

I am not sure where the problem is. When I tie on I  have some loose ones in each group.

On Sun, Aug 29, 2021, 1:45 PM Sara von Tresckow <sarav@...> wrote:
When tying on, do remember that the tension need only be "consistent" in all
bouts. The really firm tension is achieved by advancing the evenly tensioned
warp.
Winding on can be done by wrapping the chains around the breast beam to get
more drag and after a round or two, tugged tightly to take out any slack.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@...
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs

Louise Yale

After rolling on the warp yarns, comb through one inch bouts of the warp
yarns with your fingers, straightening and firming up the warp yarns.

Then do it again...and again.

Trim all the bouts to the same approximate length.

Tie each bout and lash onto the front with nylon plumber cord.

Louise in NorCal

I am not sure where the problem is. When I tie on I have some loose ones
in each group.

Sara von Tresckow

I test the tie on whether surgeons knots or lashing by patting across the
warp to find those loose ones. Then I make adjustments - I actually prefer
the surgeons knot for the original tieon because over the years I have
developed a pretty consistent tug "oomph strength" that leaves the bouts
pretty even. That is done with just a half knot. Loose ones are evened up
and the second half of the knot firmed up. When the patting is even, I crank
up the tension. If lashing, I adjust the cord tension until the patting
process produces even results.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@woolgatherers.com
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs

Subu

Using a warping trapeze or sectional warping will save your hands for everything but setting the tension.  There are several different ways to accomplish that, some less stressful on the hands.  Good luck.

Best,

Su 😊