Gilmore looms

Laura MacCary <lmaccary@...>

I feel the same way. The one at school (about 45") had a very shallow shed
and the leverage on the treadles wasn't good-if I was weaving in sock feet
(shoes were too wide to fit on the treadles) my feet would slip off the
treadles. I had to go barefoot and still I had problems with leverage. I
also noticed that some of these at school have a twisted warp beam.
laura

everybody i ever knew who had a gilmore loved it. however,
everytime i have
woven on one, i wished i hadnt. the shed is so shallow
because of that
lovely low profile

Su Butler <apbutler@...>

*One* of the reasons I would shy away from a Gilmore for high tension
weaves is precisely this: The shed decreases with every increase in tension
on a jack loom....by the time one achieves the tension necessary to weave a
rug, the shafts are floating quite high and shed is so small it makes
weaving difficult and uncomfortable.....this is one of the many reasons to
consider a CM or CB loom for rugs.......
HOWEVER, for weaving which does not require such a high degree of tension,
when the treadles are properly tied, a very large shed (on my Gilmore I can
get a shed over 3" high) can be had on a Gilmore loom, which is one of the
reasons I suspect people love them so. The treadling is fairly light, even
with 6 or 7 shafts being lifted at once, although it will require more
effort than weaving on a CM or CB, as all jack looms do.
For slipping feet, take off the socks or apply sandpaper or rubber strips
to the treadles...or do as I do and weave in gymnastic shoes...a soft
slipper-like shoe with a rubber piece attached to the bottom which grips
treadles and eliminates any slipping.....perching yourself at the very edge
of your bench will increase the body weight available for depressing
treadles although frequent brakes will be necessary to keep circulation to
the legs......

Su Butler :-) apbutler@ync.net
'My mother said to me, "If you become a soldier, you'll be a general, if you
become a monk you'll end up as the pope." Instead, I became a painter and
wound up as Picasso.' - Pablo Picasso

Deanna Baugh

I feel the same way. The one at school (about 45") had a very shallow shed
and the leverage on the treadles wasn't good-if I was weaving in sock feet
(shoes were too wide to fit on the treadles) my feet would slip off the
treadles. I had to go barefoot and still I had problems with leverage.
treadles on a gilmore can be tied higher or lower to suit the weaver, the problem with the shallow shed could be because of the floating harnesses. At high tension there is no weight to hold the harness down when you lift the shed. Schacht attached their harnesses to the lamns to help with this, norwood has the same problem as the gilmore especially if you put texolve heddles on it--again no weight.
Deanna