Double weave tension

Laurie Schellinger

I am doing a double weave project and having a tension problems. I used both cottonlin and cotton, could this be the  reason I am having a lot of trouble? Thanks In advance. Laurie

margcoe

How are the fibers being mixed, and where are the tension problems?

Marg

Sent from iDevice
coeweaves.com
e-weave-online.thinkific.com

On May 3, 2021, at 7:12 AM, Laurie Schellinger <lschell545@...> wrote:

I am doing a double weave project and having a tension problems. I used both cottonlin and cotton, could this be the  reason I am having a lot of trouble? Thanks In advance. Laurie

Laurie Schellinger

The cotton is on the bottom. Most of the loose are the cottonlin which is the top layer.

On Mon, May 3, 2021, 9:39 AM margcoe <coe@...> wrote:
How are the fibers being mixed, and where are the tension problems?

Marg

On May 3, 2021, at 7:12 AM, Laurie Schellinger <lschell545@...> wrote:

I am doing a double weave project and having a tension problems. I used both cottonlin and cotton, could this be the  reason I am having a lot of trouble? Thanks In advance. Laurie

Su Butler

HI Laura….what kind of loom are you using?  On a CM loom I have done this combo with no problems, but if you are using a jack loom it might be creating an issue.

Best,

Su Butler 😊

Laurie Schellinger

It's a A.V.L. I  have done Double weave on it alot. This is the first time I had this much of a tension issue and was wondering if it was the  mix of fibers that is causing the problem.

On Mon, May 3, 2021, 1:25 PM Su Butler <Teach2Weave@...> wrote:

HI Laura….what kind of loom are you using?  On a CM loom I have done this combo with no problems, but if you are using a jack loom it might be creating an issue.

Best,

Su Butler 😊

Sheila Carey

Hi Laura

Are the layers of your fabric frequently exchanged or joined?  If not, the upper layer – not in contact with the sandpaper beam – can become “loose”.  I’ve had this happen when attempting to weave two completely separate layers on the AVL.

Sheila

++++++++++++++

Sheila Carey

Courtenay, BC

sheila@...

It's a A.V.L. I  have done Double weave on it alot. This is the first time I had this much of a tension issue and was wondering if it was the  mix of fibers that is causing the problem.

On Mon, May 3, 2021, 1:25 PM Su Butler <Teach2Weave@...> wrote:

HI Laura….what kind of loom are you using?  On a CM loom I have done this combo with no problems, but if you are using a jack loom it might be creating an issue.

Best,

Su Butler 😊

Image removed by sender.

Joe P

Hi Everyone

I had this problem a while back with a project on my AVL one of the weavers on the list suggested a basting stitch ever 2-3 inches of the woven fabric to hold it in place worked for me.

Keep Weaving
Joe Bear in WI U.S.A.

Laura wrote:

>>> It's a A.V.L. I  have done Double weave on it alot. This is the first time I had this much of a tension issue and was wondering if it was >>>the  mix of fibers that is causing the problem.

Well, since AVL is a jack action loom, (except for the K loom), I suspect you are having the issue due to the bottom shed getting soft when the top shed is raised.  I would back off on the tension so the two sheds can be more equal when a shed is opened and see if that helps.  Unless your cotton is really soft, I can’t see why there should be an issue other than the jack shed issue, which happens with almost all fibers on jack looms. Just my $0.02 worth……

Best,

Su Butler 😊

Laurie Schellinger

Thanks for all the ideas. I am just starting to weave and I was hoping to get the tension fixed before I went ahead with it.

On Mon, May 3, 2021, 5:21 PM Su Butler <Teach2Weave@...> wrote:

Laura wrote:

>>> It's a A.V.L. I  have done Double weave on it alot. This is the first time I had this much of a tension issue and was wondering if it was >>>the  mix of fibers that is causing the problem.

Well, since AVL is a jack action loom, (except for the K loom), I suspect you are having the issue due to the bottom shed getting soft when the top shed is raised.  I would back off on the tension so the two sheds can be more equal when a shed is opened and see if that helps.  Unless your cotton is really soft, I can’t see why there should be an issue other than the jack shed issue, which happens with almost all fibers on jack looms. Just my $0.02 worth……

Best,

Su Butler 😊

Joe P

Hi Everyone

I was at the time weaving shopping bags in double weave out of 8/4 rug warp and a little wider then 1/2-inch cotton fabric rag weft and weaving strips I was weaving thick, not thin fabric When I basted the two layers together, I had a lot better outcome. I also made a second batch of shopping bags on a countermarch loom and had the same problem (what I make for one sister has to be made for the other) When I weave thin threads and not need lots of tension, I mark the side of the tension arm with chalk fabric marking pencil to keep track of the different amounts of tension for different fine fibers

I Have an older AVL I use enough tension for the project I am weaving to roll up on its own (does not happen) I have on top of it added a bit more weigh to the tension arm. I have at times added extra weight to the fabric roller weight to roll more rugs on to the cloth take up roller. At times have added weight to both rollers

All of the things that take place with a Jack loom, what I am going to say happens with a (normal jack) loom does not happen when weaving on a AVL loom. Because of the (design) of the loom. For some reason weavers have the idea all jack looms are designed the same has been wrote in weaving books in the 1930's "wrong" I don't have floating shafts the loom has return springs to adjust them I don't have to use any more force to open the shed on my AVL loom then I would use on my countermarch looms. It does take a bit more muscle to lift the tension arm in advancing the warp is all. with the added weight but it is not a lot. I have no smile in my weaving. I do not have my weaving coming off the loom with ripple or any rolling of what I weave. I have to chuckle we have come a long way since the design of the first jack loom.

Well, since AVL is a jack action loom, (except for the K loom),

Where is this coming from the statement is wrong AVL was making Production Countermarch dobby looms years ago. (I wove on one) AVL also made for a time A dobby driven draw loom. Under the name of (Ahrens & Violette Production Looms) It does not get anymore AVL.

I have to say there are times I want to push the limits of my looms, to weaving a project I have not woven before I also have to say. I have had great outcomes and some not so good I have had a good outcome in using some fibers and in weaving the same project with different fibers not so good outcome. I have also woven a project on a Jack action loom had a poor out come and had a poor out come on a countermarch loom weaving the same project with the same fibers.

In closing I will say this as weavers weave over time find the area of weaving, we like best. I am not doing that. What I have been doing for the past 11 years is testing the difference in the way a Jack loom AVL and a countermarch loom weave and what is the outcome of the things I weave, between the two different loom actions. I have read over the years you can't weave this or that on a jack loom. A counter balance or a countermarch loom is better I have not found this to be true in in comparing my AVL jack action loom to a countermarch action loom. In the different styles of weaving, I do.

Keep Weaning
Joe Bear in WI U.S.A.

Laura wrote:

>>> It's a A.V.L. I  have done Double weave on it alot. This is the first time I had this much of a tension issue and was wondering if it was >>>the  mix of fibers that is causing the problem.

Well, since AVL is a jack action loom, (except for the K loom), I suspect you are having the issue due to the bottom shed getting soft when the top shed is raised.  I would back off on the tension so the two sheds can be more equal when a shed is opened and see if that helps.  Unless your cotton is really soft, I can’t see why there should be an issue other than the jack shed issue, which happens with almost all fibers on jack looms. Just my $0.02 worth……

Best,

Su Butler 😊

Laurie Schellinger

I didn't get the tension fixed but have decided to go forward with it.
 I usually am a fast weaver. I am going to use this warp as a way to form new habits.