Counterbalance multishaft loom

Stacey Harvey-Brown

Hi everyone, 
I was sent this wonderful image of a multishaft (24, I think) counterbalance loom in a workshop in Tire in Turkey. There are apparently 4 treadles dedicated to the ground which are treadled in 1,2,3,4 order and partnered with pattern treadles from treadle 13 onwards... I don't know how many treadles there are in total, but I do know that the loom is used for a brocade rather than a double cloth, although my correspondent told me that the ground treadles only weave half the warp for each treadle. Knowing the amazing knowledge in WeaveTech world, I wondered if anyone would be able to 'shed' any more light on this loom??

Warmest wishes from SW France, 
Stacey 

Marion Stubenitsky

Hi Stacey, 

Yes, I am able to help. I have been there, I studied the peculiar loom with all the horses
And I described it for the Dutch weaving magazine WEVEN. I made a draft from the weaving too. 
I will look it up tomorrow and will post it here. 

Marian

Sent using the mobile mail app

On 25/10/2022 at 18:46, Stacey Harvey-Brown wrote:

Date: 25 October 2022
To: weavetech@groups.io
Cc:
Subject: [weavetech] Counterbalance multishaft loom

Hi everyone, 
I was sent this wonderful image of a multishaft (24, I think) counterbalance loom in a workshop in Tire in Turkey. There are apparently 4 treadles dedicated to the ground which are treadled in 1,2,3,4 order and partnered with pattern treadles from treadle 13 onwards... I don't know how many treadles there are in total, but I do know that the loom is used for a brocade rather than a double cloth, although my correspondent told me that the ground treadles only weave half the warp for each treadle. Knowing the amazing knowledge in WeaveTech world, I wondered if anyone would be able to 'shed' any more light on this loom??

Warmest wishes from SW France, 
Stacey 

Stacey Harvey-Brown

Thanks Marian!! Looking forward to reading more! And I know I'm not the only one!! 
Warmest wishes, 
Stacey