AVL New Type Cloth Storage

bigwhitesofadog

I have an AVL with the newer type cloth storage, with the weight on a
track instead of hanging. I have a loom with the older free hanging
weight and think it works very well. I have had the newer storage
system for about two years, and have never liked it. I have
reinstalled the spring many times, have been able to use Nancy's tip
for resetting the spring a couple times, but mostly, that spring
loaded drum simply doesn't work. Am I doing something really wrong?
Is there a secret to using this that I don't know? After spending an
hour reinstalling the spring, at which point it didn't work, I'm ready
to chuck this. Has anyone replaced theirs with something that worked?
Sandra

Lorelei Caracausa

I have looms with both style cloth storage.  Personally I like the weight on bar best, but probably because that is what I started with.  Learned early on how to rewind the clock sprung, using a mechanic's  bent pick to hold the spring inplace while reattached the drum.

On Sat, Oct 15, 2022, 10:30 AM bigwhitesofadog <sandra.eberhart@...> wrote:
I have an AVL with the newer type cloth storage, with the weight on a
track instead of hanging.  I have a loom with the older free hanging
weight and think it works very well.  I have had the newer storage
system for about two years, and have never liked it.  I have
reinstalled the spring many times, have been able to use Nancy's tip
for resetting the spring a couple times, but mostly, that spring
loaded drum simply doesn't work.  Am I doing something really wrong?
Is there a secret to using this that I don't know?  After spending an
hour reinstalling the spring, at which point it didn't work, I'm ready
to chuck this.  Has anyone replaced theirs with something that worked?
Sandra

Doreen McLaughlin

Yes, I replaced my spring-loaded AVL cloth storage with the "new
old-fashioned system" which is exactly like the one on your older AVL. You
will need a contractor-grade drill, to drill a few holes (template
provided), and tools to take off the front right outside rail the weight
slides on, along with that weight. Be sure to get the extra second cylinder
weight for those fabrics that need a little extra to get on the cloth beam.
Now my TDL takes about 5 minutes to set up the cloth storage system.
Doreen McLaughlin