AVL 16 shaft loom shafts dropping

Carole Elliott

The loom was weaving a staight draw draft perfectly fine for about 11” and then shafts started dropping on certain picks.  On pick 2 shaft 15 drops, on pick 6 shafts 9 & 12 drop, on pick 8 shafts 7 & 9 drop on pick 12 shaft 7 drops and on pick 13 shaft 9 drops. All the other picks perform properly. Each shaft lift on its own okay. Any suggestions?

Pat

I have a finicky older 16 shaft AVL.   I think mine does this sort of thing when I fail to step the left treadle firmly and decisively.  (Which happens when everything is going well and I get comfortable with it)   I also find that my best defense against this is to listen for odd sounds.  I used to listen to audiobooks while weaving, not anymore.

I believe that I also read at one point that the springs under the shafts can be adjusted slightly for this type of problem,  it seemed to help for a while.

Pat Brown

On Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 05:31:33 PM EDT, Carole Elliott <carole@...> wrote:

The loom was weaving a staight draw draft perfectly fine for about 11” and then shafts started dropping on certain picks.  On pick 2 shaft 15 drops, on pick 6 shafts 9 & 12 drop, on pick 8 shafts 7 & 9 drop on pick 12 shaft 7 drops and on pick 13 shaft 9 drops. All the other picks perform properly. Each shaft lift on its own okay. Any suggestions?

Lorelei Caracausa

Would also need to know which dobby you have.  1, 2 and some 4s are positive, 3 is negative- meaning that when the dobby knife is supposed to pick up, the corresponding wire is pushed into the knife slots in a positive action.  In the negative action, all wire are engaged until the proper ones are pushed back out of the way.  If the knife doesn't travel far enough to allow the proper wires to be engaged, sometimes the little ball will slip and shafts fall.....especially on older knives, where the hard rubber knife itself is worn.

On Wed, May 5, 2021, 4:31 PM Carole Elliott <carole@...> wrote:
The loom was weaving a staight draw draft perfectly fine for about 11” and then shafts started dropping on certain picks.  On pick 2 shaft 15 drops, on pick 6 shafts 9 & 12 drop, on pick 8 shafts 7 & 9 drop on pick 12 shaft 7 drops and on pick 13 shaft 9 drops. All the other picks perform properly. Each shaft lift on its own okay. Any suggestions?

bigwhitesofadog

Check the little balls to make sure all are undamaged, check to see if any of the notches on the arm are worn.  I didn't realize how badly worn mine was until I replaced it.  I have found AVL to be very supportive of older looms; they can give you a more detailed trouble shooting list.
Sandra

Carole Elliott

Allmof the balks appear to be rounded but I will check the notches. Thanks for the suggestion.

Doreen McLaughlin

            You should remove the dobby arm from the place it connects to the loom. Pull out the bolt and inspect the bolt-hole in both the arm and the attachment beam – are they both round (good)? Or are they oval in shape (bad-need to be replaced)? Do you have the copper sheath? Is the bolt still straight?

            Then, please tighten down the two bolts holding the dobby case to the side of the loom.

            Next, go up on top and follow the cables from the “dropping” shafts from the top of the shaft, over the pulleys, to the top of the dobby box. Is the cable clean and the plastic intact? Are the connections between the cables in good working order? If you have S hooks instead of snaps, you may want to replace them with new hooks. I’ve heard of a S hook that looked more like a backwards 7 (metal fatigue).

            Last, you may need to pull the solenoid box off the dobby case and get a good look at the inner workings. Do the fingers move smoothly? Is the wooden inside pulley in good shape? Is the fan positioned just above the pulley? Do a spring cleaning to make sure nothing has taken up residence there in the back of the dobby box. Have a helper join you to treadle while you do the Allen screw adjustment when you put the solenoid box back in the dobby case as a wee turn of the screw can make a big difference. I also cut up several plastic cards that came in the mail and made shims for the solenoid boxes ears, putting them under the ears so the dobby box ears are straight in the slot.

Doreen

alaskajean1

Check to make sure the dobby bar is absolutely level.  Mine seems to slip over time, no matter how much I tighten the bolt and nut.

Darlene Wainwright

Very good advice. Many thanks,

Darlene, Sent from my iPad

On May 10, 2021, at 1:00 PM, alaskajean1 <jlbartos@...> wrote:

Check to make sure the dobby bar is absolutely level.  Mine seems to slip over time, no matter how much I tighten the bolt and nut.

Sarah Saulson

I am coming into this discussion late, and I have an older dobby box, so forgive me if this suggestion is irrelevant. When shafts drop on my loom, very often the dobby box itself needs to be slightly repositioned.  Checking the arm is also important.

Good luck,

Sarah Saulson

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Darlene Wainwright

Good advice and much appreciated.

Darlene, Sent from my iPad

On May 11, 2021, at 10:37 AM, Sarah Saulson <sarahsaulson@...> wrote:

I am coming into this discussion late, and I have an older dobby box, so forgive me if this suggestion is irrelevant. When shafts drop on my loom, very often the dobby box itself needs to be slightly repositioned.  Checking the arm is also important.

Good luck,

Sarah Saulson

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Israel

I have had this problem in the past. I am not sure which Dobby you have. The problem with mine was solved by adjusting the dobby box on the loom.

Tina

Carole Elliott

Thanks for all of the suggestions. When I tightened the bolts on the dobby arm with pliers, the shafts stopped dropping. All is well now.