Double countermarch

Elizabeth Moncrief

I’m considering moving the two sets of lams to one pivot point and adjusting the cords to make it a ‘double countermarch’ as described by Collingwood in a 1957 piece.  Does anyone have A double CM or has anyone converted theirs?  I may just do it in between warps but would love to know advantages or disadvantages if there are any.  I have plenty of room to move and interspace the lower lams to the upper rod (or everything to the lower pivot rod?) and the concept intrigues me.

Liz Moncrief
Www.aweaversway.com
Instagram:  moncriefliz

On Aug 18, 2021, at 8:18 AM, Sally O <s.orgren@...> wrote:

A new weaver asked me if "broken twill" was the correct term to use for her weaving "structure" after she completed samples from a recent workshop. The instructor provided the draft and used that term, so in that context I thought it was okay.

However, I did not see the actual draft. That got me to thinking, could "broken twill" actually mean a variety of different structures? In other words, it's a pretty broad term, right? When searching the term in Handweaving.net, a whole variety of patterns come up, some with a straight draw threading where the twill break happens in the treadling, and some with the break happening in the tie-up.

Yes, I floundered about with my edition of Emery in the pursuit of an anwer.

While asking this question, I am thrown back to thinking about Sara von Treskow's presentation at CWS in Maryland many years ago. She presented a draft naming system that was very precise by identifying the floats, warp or weft, in order, as part of the naming convention. With the resulting name, you immediately knew a lot more about the structure construction without even seeing a draft.

The new weaver was seeking a simple answer to complete her sample sheet - but her question left me with more questions.

Sally

Sara von Tresckow

I once owned a Glimakra "Aktiv" that had all the lams at one level, 2 per
shaft. It worked, but I can't say that it was decidedly better or worse than
having the lams at two levels. You still have the lams pivoting on one side
of the loom.
What does make a difference is to use half floating lams as on the Cranbrook
looms where the upper set rides on the lower shaft bars, or the Ulla Cyrus
where both sets ride up and down. The upper ones ride the lower shaft bars
like the Cranbrook and the lower lams are supported by two cords coming from
the shafts.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@...
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs

Elizabeth Moncrief

Thanks Sara
Ive just learned that this setup is used on the HD rug loom, designed by Collingwood…tho he wrote this piece that I was referring to in the Quarterly Journal in Britain in 1957, long before he was working with HD on the loom. What a guy.

I also realized that if I put all lams side by side on one rod, then I can’t use Kati Meek’s ingenious tieup system, using only half of the cords. Mine is a Toika and has the upper lams corded to the bottom shaft bar but the lower lams corded to the jacks or coupers. I guess I’m not sure on your explanation of the lower lams on your Cyrus. Would you be willing to send me a photo of what you’re describing?
Thanks so much for your response. Looms Mechanics are my thing.😊

Liz Moncrief
Www.aweaversway.com
Instagram: moncriefliz

On Aug 18, 2021, at 6:31 PM, Sara von Tresckow <sarav@...> wrote:

I once owned a Glimakra "Aktiv" that had all the lams at one level, 2 per
shaft. It worked, but I can't say that it was decidedly better or worse than
having the lams at two levels. You still have the lams pivoting on one side
of the loom.
What does make a difference is to use half floating lams as on the Cranbrook
looms where the upper set rides on the lower shaft bars, or the Ulla Cyrus
where both sets ride up and down. The upper ones ride the lower shaft bars
like the Cranbrook and the lower lams are supported by two cords coming from
the shafts.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@...
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs

Joe P

Hi Everyone and Liz M

The HD Designs Rug Loom designed by Peter Collingwood. Is an ok loom. The loom has 4 shafts. In order to do the one-time tie-up Peter designed you will need not 6 but 8 treadles. The sheds open in jack rabbit fasion, weaver using both feet, to open a shed. We all know when we open the shed on a countermarch loom the weaver can only depress 1 treadle, if we try to depress 2 treadles down the loom will lock and no shed will open. This is not the case in using the tie up Peter designed. The tie up works like a skeleton tie-up for countermarch. the weaver will have all 4 shaft tie-ups.

Keep Weaving
Joe Bear in WI U.S.A.