Live tension: Warp with a Trapeze and Dance with your - Loom thanks Tien

Kati Meek

Thank you Tien, for your post and link in yesterday's WTL.  I missed seeing it because I was at our first-in-18-months guild gathering.  I'm happy to learn of variations!  Weavers are the greatest!  Please order the book: Warp with a Trapeze and Dance with your Loom from vavstuga.com - so they will know it is worth taking over publication/distribution. Kati, (who is trying to outlive her stash. Will she make it to150 years?)

bigwhitesofadog

Kati, thanks for instructions on how to set up a conventional loom for live weight!
Another reason to use live weight, or dynamic tension is because you don't have to stop to release and reset the  brake, you tend to advance the cloth more often, in smaller increments. This gives you a consistent warp angle and better selvedges. .  The Leclerc Kebec I am working on now requires releasing the brake on one side, walking to the other side, partially releasing that brake, winding on almost all of the new cloth, resetting that brake, walking to the other side, resetting that brake, and tensioning the warp.  This loom will get dynamic tension before the next run of blankets.
Sandra

Lorelei Caracausa

The other side of this discussion is that moving your body periodically during weaving may just be a good thing to do.
My loom set ups allow me to weave hours on end without ever stopping (no need to adjust brake, no need to advance warp). No so great on my old bod, so I almost treasurer that occasional broken warp end.

On Thu, Jun 17, 2021, 9:57 AM bigwhitesofadog <sandra.eberhart@...> wrote:
Kati, thanks for instructions on how to set up a conventional loom for live weight!
Another reason to use live weight, or dynamic tension is because you don't have to stop to release and reset the  brake, you tend to advance the cloth more often, in smaller increments. This gives you a consistent warp angle and better selvedges. .  The Leclerc Kebec I am working on now requires releasing the brake on one side, walking to the other side, partially releasing that brake, winding on almost all of the new cloth, resetting that brake, walking to the other side, resetting that brake, and tensioning the warp.  This loom will get dynamic tension before the next run of blankets.
Sandra

Nann Miller

I'm like Lorelei...I am currently only winding a few bobbins at a time as getting up to wind more is a prompt that I need to move.  Having the bobbin run out necessitates movement!
Nann