"Pick by Pick Treadling" question

Jayne F

I have contacted Michelle directly.

Jayne Flanagan (one of the editors)

From: weavetech@groups.io [mailto:weavetech@groups.io] On Behalf Of Michelle
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2021 11:00 PM
To: weavetech@groups.io
Subject: Re: [weavetech] "Pick by Pick Treadling" question

Sorry, I am self taught and I still don't understand...I did read and re-read the book, this concept just isn't clicking for me.  I am used to taking the threading and it becomes the treadling sequence, maybe I'm thinking too hard about it, maybe that is what it is and it's just expressed in a different nomenclature?  

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 9:51 PM Jayne F <jhfpf@...> wrote:

Hi Michelle,
"Pick by pick" means that each weft thread is noted in the treadling, as opposed to a "block by block" profile treadling. It is explained it in the introductory pages.
Jayne

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2021 10:26 PM
Subject: [weavetech] "Pick by Pick Treadling" question

Hello from North Dakota, USA.

I am trying to put a pattern I found in a book called "Huck Pattern Collection" into my weaving software so I can weave a shawl.

I am trying to figure out the nomenclature of this huck weaving book - it says:  Treadling: "Pick by Pick Treadling" is given for the multishaft designs (unless states as "Pick by Pick", treadling sequences are given by listing the pattern treadle of the unit to be treadled.  This is a 5 shaft huck that I am trying to figure out what they mean by "Pick by Pick Treadling".

Is there anyone who could help me understand this terminology?  I can honestly say I've read a lot of weaving books and don't recall this one.  Thanks in advance!

Michelle in North Dakota

Sheila Carey

Hi Michelle

The treadling sequence is not always the same as the threading in many weave structures.

Also lace weaves like huck lace are often shown as “block” threading and treadling where groups of ends in warp or weft are shown, usually by a filled in square, which represents several ends in a sequence which is shown elsewhere.

When the author says “pick by pick” she has listed every weft pick which should be easier for you to follow.  But as she is giving treadle numbers for the pattern treadles, if you are using a table loom you would need to look at your tie-up to see which shafts to lift each time.  

If using a table loom it would probably be easier to work through the treadling and write out the shafts lifted for the weft as a liftplan.  If you are using Fiberworks software you can enter the draft with a tie-up and treadling and then use the software to change it to a liftplan.  This can probably be done with other software too.

If you are using a treadle loom, just tie up your treadles as shown in the tie-up and treadle in the order given and see what happens!

Lace weaves often don’t look like you expect while they are the loom - the lace will “magically” appear when the fabric is wet finished.

Hope this makes sense!

Best wishes,

Sheila Carey
Courtenay, BC

I have sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is removed from the lands.

On Apr 9, 2021, at 8:00 PM, Michelle <edenme98@...> wrote:

Sorry, I am self taught and I still don't understand...I did read and re-read the book, this concept just isn't clicking for me.  I am used to taking the threading and it becomes the treadling sequence, maybe I'm thinking too hard about it, maybe that is what it is and it's just expressed in a different nomenclature?  

Hi Michelle,
"Pick by pick" means that each weft thread is noted in the treadling, as opposed to a "block by block" profile treadling. It is explained it in the introductory pages.
Jayne

I am trying to put a pattern I found in a book called "Huck Pattern Collection" into my weaving software so I can weave a shawl.

I am trying to figure out the nomenclature of this huck weaving book - it says:  Treadling: "Pick by Pick Treadling" is given for the multishaft designs (unless states as "Pick by Pick", treadling sequences are given by listing the pattern treadle of the unit to be treadled.  This is a 5 shaft huck that I am trying to figure out what they mean by "Pick by Pick Treadling".

Is there anyone who could help me understand this terminology?  I can honestly say I've read a lot of weaving books and don't recall this one.  Thanks in advance!

Michelle in North Dakota

Michelle

Hi Michelle,
Jayne

Michelle in North Dakota

Jayne F

Hi Michelle,
Jayne

I am trying to figure out the nomenclature of this huck weaving book - it says: Treadling: "Pick by Pick Treadling" is given for the multishaft designs (unless states as "Pick by Pick", treadling sequences are given by listing the pattern treadle of the unit to be treadled. This is a 5 shaft huck that I am trying to figure out what they mean by "Pick by Pick Treadling".

Is there anyone who could help me understand this terminology? I can honestly say I've read a lot of weaving books and don't recall this one. Thanks in advance!

Michelle in North Dakota

Michelle

I am trying to figure out the nomenclature of this huck weaving book - it says: Treadling: "Pick by Pick Treadling" is given for the multishaft designs (unless states as "Pick by Pick", treadling sequences are given by listing the pattern treadle of the unit to be treadled. This is a 5 shaft huck that I am trying to figure out what they mean by "Pick by Pick Treadling".

Is there anyone who could help me understand this terminology? I can honestly say I've read a lot of weaving books and don't recall this one. Thanks in advance!

Michelle in North Dakota