From: weavetech@groups.io <weavetech@groups.io> on behalf of dlidema via groups.io <dlidema@...>
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2021 2:34 PM
To: weavetech@groups.io <weavetech@groups.io>
Subject: [weavetech] Question re cotton chenille

Has anyone used heavy-ish cotton chenille for baby blankets?  If so, I woul love to know how it works.

Debby Lewis-Idema

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Lorelei Caracausa

I second Nann's comments, re: lint.  I have tried  a couple of different qualities/manufacturers of cotton chenille.  The overall effect was wonderfully soft, but the lint bunnies under the loom were outrageous, and the washer and dryer lint traps were overwhelmed

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021, 1:34 PM dlidema <dlidema@...> wrote:

Has anyone used heavy-ish cotton chenille for baby blankets?  If so, I woul love to know how it works.

Debby Lewis-Idema

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Louise Yale

Wove towels with cotton chenille in the mid 1980s which I still use...and
they still fill the lint trap on the dryer.

The colors have stayed, they are still soft and nice to use but the lint
continues.

Louise in Northern California

Fran Osten

The other issue is long term washability .  Baby blankets need frequent washing and Chenille usually degrades when washed. Back in the days when I wove with chenille I had scarves woven with rayon chenille where over time the fringe degraded to just the binder core. Had to find alternative ways to finish scarves..

Fran Osten
Goose Cove Looms

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 2:47 PM Lorelei Caracausa <beeweaverstudio@...> wrote:
I second Nann's comments, re: lint.  I have tried  a couple of different qualities/manufacturers of cotton chenille.  The overall effect was wonderfully soft, but the lint bunnies under the loom were outrageous, and the washer and dryer lint traps were overwhelmed

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021, 1:34 PM dlidema <dlidema@...> wrote:

Has anyone used heavy-ish cotton chenille for baby blankets?  If so, I woul love to know how it works.

Debby Lewis-Idema

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

dlidema

Thanks to everyone. Guess I'll use something else.
Debby

Nancy Warren

In my experience with cotton chenille, it also shrinks a great deal (20-30%) so the item has to be made much larger than intended to account for all that. The lint is also a problem.

Nancy Warren

Sally O

As an alternative, I wove a series of (heavy-ish) baby blankets from Brassard's 8/4 unmercerized cotton last year. It comes in lots of colors, and wove up easily at 12 epi. It won't be as soft as chenille, but I hope long-weaving and laundry-friendly. I don't remember a ton of lint under the loom or in the dryer lint trap, but there have also been many projects woven between summer of 2020 and now.

Here is a link to the Ravelry Project page if you want to read more about it: https://www.ravelry.com/projects/SallyOrgren/jj-baby-blanket-series

Fran Osten

I usually weave baby blankets with 5/2 mercerized cotton or 6/2 unmercerized.  They are a nice weight, wash well and the yarns come in lots of colors.  I have also done some for summer babies in 10/2. You need to think of the season the baby will be/was born in to assess a good weight though my grandkids lugged theirs around for years and needed to be bribed not to take them to Kindergarten with them!.  There are lots of other softer cottons you could also use.

Fran Osten
Goose Cove Looms

On Mar 31, 2021, at 11:09 AM, Sally O <s.orgren@...> wrote:

As an alternative, I wove a series of (heavy-ish) baby blankets from Brassard's 8/4 unmercerized cotton last year. It comes in lots of colors, and wove up easily at 12 epi. It won't be as soft as chenille, but I hope long-weaving and laundry-friendly. I don't remember a ton of lint under the loom or in the dryer lint trap, but there have also been many projects woven between summer of 2020 and now.

Here is a link to the Ravelry Project page if you want to read more about it: https://www.ravelry.com/projects/SallyOrgren/jj-baby-blanket-series

DR D W Taylor

I love Brown Sheep’s Cotton Fine (80% cotton 20% wool) for baby blankets. Totally washable and fulls up a bit and softens even more because of the wool (merino, I think). It is lightweight and there are Lots of color choices. No lint to speak of. Peace. D Taylor, DVM

Sally O

Edited

I just noticed Peter Patchis Yarns is selling softball cotton yarn, natural (color) for $6 per pound. (450 yards per pound).

I have used this yarn successfully to weave a soft, more bulky baby blanket in the past. Other vendors should have the same yarn in various colors.

Good luck with your project!