Louet Megado question

Denise

Greetings to all! I recently purchased a new-to-me 32-shaft Louet Megado 70 loom. Long story short, the Texsolve cords on the pulleys for the compu dobby keep breaking. I do know that Dave Vanstralen is great at customer service, but I can't for the life of me find his phone number. How do I get in touch with him? And if that answer isn't available, can anyone on this list recommend a company or individual who can help us address our problems? The loom weaves beautifully but for the cords. It's an older model -- not sure how old, maybe 8-10 years old. Would a dealer such as the Woolery or the Eugene Textile Center help me with my questions, even though I did not purchase it from them?

Thanks,
Denise Kovnat
www.denisekovnat.com

Elizabeth Moncrief

You can purchase a spool of cord from any weaving dealer and just measure out the broken cord. Also I’ve emailed Louet with questions and it takes 2-3 days to get a response. I’m sure that ETC would be happy to help you

Sent from liz's iPhone
Www.aweaversway.com
Instagram:    Moncriefliz

On Feb 16, 2021, at 12:07 PM, Denise <dkovn@...> wrote:

Greetings to all! I recently purchased a new-to-me 32-shaft Louet Megado 70 loom. Long story short, the Texsolve cords on the pulleys for the compu dobby keep breaking. I do know that Dave Vanstralen is great at customer service, but I can't for the life of me find his phone number. How do I get in touch with him? And if that answer isn't available, can anyone on this list recommend a company or individual who can help us address our problems? The loom weaves beautifully but for the cords. It's an older model -- not sure how old, maybe 8-10 years old. Would a dealer such as the Woolery or the Eugene Textile Center help me with my questions, even though I did not purchase it from them?

Thanks,
Denise Kovnat
www.denisekovnat.com

Fran Osten

I have dealt with the same problem several times with my older Megado that I purchased used but only after it had woven without problems for some years. I replaced the cord several times. I finally realized that the cord was wearing where it went over or beside the screw attaching it to the pulley. There didn’t seem to be a way to wind the cord around the pulley to avoid it hitting the screw.  Dave did not have an answer that solved the problem. My husband finally ran the cord through a piece of flexible plastic sleeve from electrical wire in the area that was getting abraded and I have had no further problems.  I am not sure what else you can use to protect the cord.

Fran Osten
GooseCove Looms
WWW. Danfothweavers.com

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 3:11 PM Elizabeth Moncrief via groups.io <l.moncrief=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

kathyo

Fran, I think you left a letter r out of your website addy?

kathyo

Fran Osten
GooseCove Looms

Marilyn Harrington

The last phone number I have for Dave Van Stralen is 681-888-5378.  He made some repairs to my loom just before the Covid shutdown.  I don't know if he is back to traveling around the country making repairs or not.

Marilyn Harrington

On 2/16/2021 3:07 PM, Denise wrote:

Greetings to all! I recently purchased a new-to-me 32-shaft Louet Megado 70 loom. Long story short, the Texsolve cords on the pulleys for the compu dobby keep breaking. I do know that Dave Vanstralen is great at customer service, but I can't for the life of me find his phone number. How do I get in touch with him? And if that answer isn't available, can anyone on this list recommend a company or individual who can help us address our problems? The loom weaves beautifully but for the cords. It's an older model -- not sure how old, maybe 8-10 years old. Would a dealer such as the Woolery or the Eugene Textile Center help me with my questions, even though I did not purchase it from them?

Thanks,
Denise Kovnat
www.denisekovnat.com

sue_briney

On the Facebook Megado Owners group,  I was encouraged to contact Dave via support@....  I rec'd a quick reply.

Sue

[...]

Doreen McLaughlin

            The terms the hardware store folks understand for “flexible plastic sleeve” is ‘heat-shrink tubing’ and to secure it use ‘black electrician’s tape.’ I would follow Fran’s suggestion and install the heat-shrink tubing over the cord in the screw area and then wrap up the covered cord with black electrician’s tape.

Doreen

suki248

Tracy at Lone Star Loom Room also may be able to help.

On 2/16/2021 3:07 PM, Denise wrote:

Greetings to all! I recently purchased a new-to-me 32-shaft Louet Megado 70 loom. Long story short, the Texsolve cords on the pulleys for the compu dobby keep breaking. I do know that Dave Vanstralen is great at customer service, but I can't for the life of me find his phone number. How do I get in touch with him? And if that answer isn't available, can anyone on this list recommend a company or individual who can help us address our problems? The loom weaves beautifully but for the cords. It's an older model -- not sure how old, maybe 8-10 years old. Would a dealer such as the Woolery or the Eugene Textile Center help me with my questions, even though I did not purchase it from them?

Thanks,
Denise Kovnat
www.denisekovnat.com

bigwhitesofadog

You might try replacing the cord with something more abrasion resistant, like polyester cord, or replace the screw with a countersunk flathead screw or a wooden peg.
Sandra

Jan in Seattle

The email address I have for Dave is support@...
Jan Silver

Fran Osten

I didn’t use anything to secure the sleeve. You would have to be very careful that the electrical tape wouldn’t snag on anything. I will take a picture of my pulley and cord and send it separately. Fran

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 7:00 PM Doreen McLaughlin <doreen@...> wrote:

            The terms the hardware store folks understand for “flexible plastic sleeve” is ‘heat-shrink tubing’ and to secure it use ‘black electrician’s tape.’ I would follow Fran’s suggestion and install the heat-shrink tubing over the cord in the screw area and then wrap up the covered cord with black electrician’s tape.

Doreen

Denise

Thanks very much to everyone for all the detailed advice. The loom is working much better -- for a couple of reasons, at least at this point. I did call Dave and he recommended Teflon spray for the pulleys and even the wooden bars that draw the shafts up and down. We applied it carefully and boy did that make a difference. The reason, I think, is that this loom may be as much as 20 years old and it hadn't been used for several years, so all the works were dusty and sticky.

This actually put less stress on the Texsolv cords, which helped. Then, thanks to advice from Fran and Dave, we reinforced (with painter's tape) the cords at the point where they contact the wood screws on the wheel (and abrade and then break). This helps too. I may have to go back and use the heat-shrink tubing, but we're OK for now.

My husband keeps joking that I bought a sports car -- expensive and finicky ;o)

It's a great loom, nevertheless, and I'm weaving an Echo design on all 32 shafts at this point.

Regards,
Denise Kovnat
www.denisekovnat.com

Kathryn Cooper

Hi Denise,

Glad you’re sorted. Your husband’s comment made me think of a wee ditty I wrote several years ago based on a true life story. Here is the link https://www.instagram.com/p/BnG9i3JHHNa/?igshid=96dk1iufsg0b I thought it might raise a smile on what here is a very wet Friday in Scotland.

Kind regards
Kathryn Cooper
www.dreamweavingstudio.co.uk

On 19 Feb 2021, at 14:05, Denise <dkovn@...> wrote:

[...]

Deb

Thank you!  How true! 😀

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 10:48 AM Kathryn Cooper via groups.io <kathryn.cooper44=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Gay McGeary

Hi Kathryn,

I love your ditty.

Hi Denise,

I own a 24 shaft Toika computer assist loom. I could have also bought a small car for what I have invested in the loom, but I love 19th century Pennsylvania German float work coverlets and drafts in early manuscripts. They require 18 to 24 shafts to weave. Barbara & Art Elkins have always been there, when I needed help.

Gay

coverletweaver.com

[...]

Yes, My website is:  Danforthweavers.com.   Thanks

Lorraine FAST

Fran, I loved looking at your work.  Your weaving is beautiful and so is your cove!  What a wonderful and inspirational place to have a studio.
Lorraine

Sent from Lorraine's iPad

On Feb 19, 2021, at 12:01 PM, Fran Osten <fran.osten@...> wrote:

Yes, My website is:  Danforthweavers.com.   Thanks

Fran Osten

Glad to hear things are looking up with the Megado. To reassure you and your husband too, mine has worked flawlessly except for the recent fraying of the cords. Installing air conditioning in my studio certainly helped too I must admit (with obvious other benefits!)

I am excited to know about the Teflon spray if I need it in the future!)

Fran
Goose Cove Looms

Fran Osten

How nice of you!  Thanks.  After 20 years we still are in awe of where we are lucky enough to live!!

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 1:59 PM Lorraine FAST via groups.io <thefastlane=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Fran, I loved looking at your work.  Your weaving is beautiful and so is your cove!  What a wonderful and inspirational place to have a studio.
Lorraine

Sent from Lorraine's iPad

On Feb 19, 2021, at 12:01 PM, Fran Osten <fran.osten@...> wrote:

Yes, My website is:  Danforthweavers.com.   Thanks

Kathryn Cooper

Thank you Gay - very kind.
Kind regards
Kathryn