Any spinners out there? Drive band question

Louise Yale

The single drive band on one of my wheels needs to be replaced. I have
heard about 2 mm "Pony Bead Lacing" available online along with
connectors.

Has anyone used this product for a single drive band on a spinning wheel?

Does Pony Bead Lacing have any application to weaving on floor or table
looms?

Thanks.

Louise in NorCal

Neal Goman

I have used something similar (hobby urethane banding) but found that it was difficult to join. It seemed to have a fairly high melt temperature that was close to the combustion point. Just as it was melting it would flash and a carbon layer would compromise the joint. A better banding can be found at spinning supply vendors (I bought mine from The Woolery but most others have it). The band can be melted with a heat gun instead of an open flame, the joins are very robust, the material has a slight rough surface instead of the smooth surface of the hobby banding, and the bands can be purchased in different diameters to match your whorl groves for better drive performance without excessive band tension.
Neal Goman.

On 12/20/2020 7:41 PM, Louise Yale via groups.io wrote:
The single drive band on one of my wheels needs to be replaced. I have
heard about 2 mm "Pony Bead Lacing" available online along with
connectors.

Has anyone used this product for a single drive band on a spinning wheel?

Does Pony Bead Lacing have any application to weaving on floor or table
looms?

Thanks.

Louise in NorCal

kathyo

I couldn’t keep pony bead lacing connected...

I bought poly band from Woolery.

kathyo

Lisa Davy

I use a similar product but it is hollow and you do the connection with a little plastic bar, you just put half inside each end.  I have had it on my spinning wheel for years and I have never had to replace it and I use it a lot!  I do have some extras but I think the company went out of business?  It was sold as speed laces for running shoes.  Try googling and see if you can find it or contact me if you want more info.

HTH

Lisa

--

Louise Yale

Hi Lisa
Googled 'speed laces for running shoes' and had lots of products but all
seem to have a plastic lock or metal capsule for the closure which I don't
think would work on a spinning wheel to create a smooth spin.

Do you have a brand name? Even if they are out of business, I might get
some leads from that info.

Thanks.
Louise

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 10:01 PM kathyo <kathyanneolson@gmail.com> wrote:

I couldn’t keep pony bead lacing connected...

I bought poly band from Woolery.

kathyo

--

Lisa Davy

Inter-Lace is the brand name

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 4:33 PM Louise Yale via groups.io <cafeina=pacific.net@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Lisa
Googled 'speed laces for running shoes' and had lots of products but all
seem to have a plastic lock or metal capsule for the closure which I don't
think would work on a spinning wheel to create a smooth spin.

Do you have a brand name? Even if they are out of business, I might get
some leads from that info.

Thanks.
Louise

> I use a similar product but it is hollow and you do the connection with a
> little plastic bar, you just put half inside each end.  I have had it on
> my
> spinning wheel for years and I have never had to replace it and I use it a
> lot!  I do have some extras but I think the company went out of business?
> It was sold as speed laces for running shoes.  Try googling and see if you
> can find it or contact me if you want more info.
>
> HTH
>
> Lisa
>
> On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 10:01 PM kathyo <kathyanneolson@...> wrote:
>
>> I couldn’t keep pony bead lacing connected...
>>
>> I bought poly band from Woolery.
>>
>> kathyo
>>

> --

Pat Bullen

I like rug linen or waxed linen for drive bands.  Set the wheel for the smallest drive band ratio.  Use a surgeon's knot (like a square knot but you wrap the yarn twice) or square knot.  Use sewing thread and a needle to secure the ends of the linen to the band.  Increase the tension on the cord until you are happy.  You can also use cotton rug warp but it will wear out faster (depending on how much you spin).
Pat

Sara von Tresckow

We repair spinning wheels and do not recommend linen as a material for drive
bands. It is so inflexible that it becomes a hazard to good wheel
maintenance and can be tightened too much.
We prefer cabled cotton seine twine, perhaps cabled cotton a bit thicker,
and waxed for good results that won't damage a wheel (small, delicate
antiques should not use linen).
Of course, there are now many wheels that depend on an elastic drive band -
for those wheels, there is the stretchy material used for o-rings that has
grip and makes the best material to drive a wheel.
I have, on occasion, used round, coated elastic from Joann that was waxed -
and has the ends sewn together to drive an Ashford Country Spinner - it did
work reasonably well.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@woolgatherers.com
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs

Ian Bowers

To elaborate a little more, the stretchy and/or sticky (waxed) band works well on single drive wheels. For double drive it helps to have a band which can slip (unwaxed) to allow the spinner to adjust the draw in by holding the flyer back.

Best regards

Ian Bowers (Dr)
Managing Director

www.georgeweil.com
GEORGE WEIL & SONS LTD, Old Portsmouth Road, Peasmarsh, Guildford, Surrey, GU3 1LZ
tel: 0 (+44) 1483 565800
fax: 0 (+44) 1483 565807

George Weil & Sons is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
Registered number 00321890. Registered office: Peasmarsh, Guildford, GU3 1LZ
Follow George Weil:

If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the message