From: weavetech@groups.io <weavetech@groups.io> On Behalf Of Pam Rathmell via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, October 10, 2020 10:15 AM
To: weavetech@groups.io
Subject: [weavetech] David Raup's Lace visualizer program #weaving

Some years ago there was a program that allowed you to visualize the bending of the threads in (at least) huck lace and possibly other lace forms.  It doesn't work in Windows 10 and I was wondering if anyone has updated it.

_._,_._,_

Nancy Hassel

I agree with Judie's observation about 32-bit vs 64-bit.  Mostly it has been the 32-bit-dependent INSTALLER that failed for me on 64-bit machines.  I have been able to bypass the installer for a few programs.

If you have a working version of the program installed on a 32-bit machine then consider making a copy of the program files (frequently a directory in C:\Program Files\) and copying it to the same location on the 64-bit Windows PC.  Then locate the executable and make a shortcut on your desktop.  The program may execute just fine on your 64-bit PC.

Some programs are set up to open if you double-click a file of the type it operates upon.  To copy that capability you would want to examine the registry of the 32-bit PC and export the registry entries (typically just a few grouped entries) and then import into the 64-bit PC's registry.

Those 32-bit PC's are a dying breed but very useful for preserving old programs.  I had three 32-bit PC's a year ago and am not down to one due to one instance of hardware failure and one instance of so little memory that the operating system just could not run anymore  [the motherboard could not accept additional memory modules].

This is a long-winded way of saying extract your good old programs from your 32-bit PCs while you can and DO NOT DO ANY OF THIS UNLESS YOU ARE COMPUTER CONFIDENT.
--
Nancy Hassel
http://fiber.hassel.net

sarah@...

If the program installs but does not run, you can try using Windows Compatibility mode to make the program think it is running on an older version of Windows:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15078/windows-10-make-older-apps-or-programs-compatible

Pam Rathmell

These are all great suggestions and I’ll give the ones that might work for me a try.  I don’t think I have a 32 bit windows machine, anymore but I might be able to install a 32bit OS and dual boot.  I dont suppose it runs under Linux

johnacord

Install Oracle VirtualBox in Linux with your 32-bit OS in the virtual machine.  I run Linux Mint with my copy of Windows 7 in the VM to run windows things.  Or install CrossOver in Linux which is a way to run some windows programs.

John Acord
Flatwater Electronics

Ros Wardall

I have recently joined this group and read with interest the possibility of enabling Lace-2011 to run on a 64 bit machine.
I have tried all the applicable suggestions made to no avail.
I do have 'old' PCs which may run the program but then I would have the difficulty of transferring the program and data between different machines to fully utilise the software.
If anyone has had better success it would be great to hear about it or if there is another way to show deflected warp or weft threads in the design process then that would be great too.
Whilst lace weaving is of interest - Ondule weaving is of more.
Ros

bigwhitesofadog

I use thumb drives to transfer files from the machine that I do my design work  on and the laptops that run the looms.  I could use cloud, but there's no WiFi in the studio.
Sandra

Nancy Hassel

Google research found an article: Weaving Software on the Cheap   by Marg Coe (Weavezine 2009) that described the program & stated the software could be downloaded the WeavePoint page.  The link to the software is no longer on the page but WeavePont seems to have incorporated the lace viewing capability.

A Google search for "LACE-2011" found a more recent version of the software for free download.  There is no installer - one must only unzip a directory & double-click the .exe file.  The accompanying document states: "Works with Windows 2000, ME, Vista, and the 32-bit versions of XP and Windows 7. The 64-bit versions of XP and Win 7 may work with appropriate workarounds or emulators but these have not been tested fully)"

I tested it on my 64-bit Windows 10 PC and it would not execute.  I tested it on my 32-bit Windows 10 PC and it executed but generated an immediate fatal exception at an address in the included .DLL file (Visual Basic object code).

This is a long-winded way of suggesting that the LACE-2011 software be used on a Windows 7 PC or that WeavePoint capabilities should be further explored or that one should consider (very politely) contacting the author.

--
Nancy Hassel
http://fiber.hassel.net

Su Butler

The lace program works well on Windows 8 and below…….

My website (www.subudesigns.com) hosts David Raup’s Swoosh Rug Design program.  It did not work on Windows 10 but my clever husband did some magic and now it works on windows 10 machines.  We did this upgrade with Judy Yamamoto’s blessing (David’s widow).  I don’t know what my husband did but I could ask him if he thinks he could do the same with the lace program, however we would need a copy of the code for the program.  This issue is definitely 32 bit vs. 64 bit.

Husband set me up with a virtual machine on my PC so I can run even the first DOS versions of Fiberworks, and I can run David’s programs as well.  I love some of the older software…..never will understand why developers chop the most important stuff when they “improve” it.   I miss the ability to create my own threading units/blocks in PCW…..I still have it on my older software.

Anyway, if someone has the lace program with the original code, my husband can probably make it work on Win 10 but we would need Judy’s permission before moving forward.

Best,

Su Butler

Mary Berent

That would be GREAT, Su!  I am not computer knowledgeable and would not try the things suggested to make the lace program work on Windows 10.  I do have an old laptop with the lace program on it and I use it occasionally with a jump drive, that laptop also has no internet/network.  I would use it more often if it were more convenient (on my main computer).  I’ll keep my fingers crossed for that!!

Mary Berent, Master Weaver

769 N Grey Pebble Way

Eagle ID 83616

208-901-5640

mary-berent.com

[...]

Yes Su.  It was from your website I downloaded my version of the Lace-2011 software - but was a bit cautious to mention.  I would be very interested too if your husband can work the same magic and obtain the source code for the program.

My 'old' computers probably deserve to be placed in a museum.  No easy way to communicate with them.

Ros :)

Su Butler

Hi Ros……my  husband said he is willing to work on the Lace program, but he must have the source code to make the necessary changes.  So now he has to see if Judy still has the source code for this program.  If she does and is willing to let him “improve” it, I’ll let you know.

Best,

Su Butler 😊

Ros Wardall

That is brilliant Su.  Thank you.  Ros

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hi Ros……my  husband said he is willing to work on the Lace program, but he must have the source code to make the necessary changes.  So now he has to see if Judy still has the source code for this program.  If she does and is willing to let him “improve” it, I’ll let you know.

Best,

Su Butler 😊

Pam Rathmell

Edited

I've been fooling around with a virtual machine on my 64bit windows 10 machine, but so far I haven't been able to connect to the internet with it.  I'm also working on running a virtual machine in Linux.  I'll report back with my results, but nothing workable as yet.  Creating a virtual machine in either Windows or Linux isn't for everyone, so I'm hoping that Su's husband gets hold of the source and can modify it.  That would be the best result!

A couple of other points:

As far as I can tell, the Lace program does NOT run in compatability mode on my up-to-date Windows 10 64k operating system (I tried every way possible).
I have the most recent version of Weavepoint, and I don't see any way to visualize lace.

Pam Rathmell

I did manage to get it working in a virtual XP machine on my Windows 10 64bit operating system.  If anyone is interested in how to do this, please send me a PM and I'll try to help.  Still fooling around with Linux.