Fascinating article, thank you so much for bringing it to our attention.
Newfoundland dogs have a lovely undercoat they shed and it is terrific for spinning. You can simply pluck it out with causing any discomfort to the dog. My dog is only part Newfie but she does have the undercoat which she happily shares about the house.

Darlene, Sent from my iPad

On Oct 9, 2020, at 11:29 PM, Eileen Driscoll <efd2@...> wrote:

Judy Casserberg

One thing to remember about dog wool or hair, you may get the smell to not smell to people but it will always smell like dog to other dogs. I know of at least two incidents when dogs have gone after knit items made from dog. In one a dog tore up a sweater made of it’s own hair. In another a friend working at a dog sled race had to put her knit dog hair hat in a truck as the sled dogs were trying to attack it. Dog’s noses are much more sophisticated than human ones.

Judy Casserberg

Being warped is to live the good life

From: weavetech@groups.io <weavetech@groups.io> On Behalf Of Darlene Wainwright
Sent: Saturday, October 10, 2020 6:12 AM
To: weavetech@groups.io
Subject: Re: [weavetech] Wool or Hair?

Fascinating article, thank you so much for bringing it to our attention.

Newfoundland dogs have a lovely undercoat they shed and it is terrific for spinning. You can simply pluck it out with causing any discomfort to the dog. My dog is only part Newfie but she does have the undercoat which she happily shares about the house.

Darlene, Sent from my iPad

On Oct 9, 2020, at 11:29 PM, Eileen Driscoll <efd2@...> wrote:

Darlene Wainwright

Darlene, Sent from my iPad

On Oct 10, 2020, at 9:18 AM, Judy Casserberg <casserberg@...> wrote:

One thing to remember about dog wool or hair, you may get the smell to not smell to people but it will always smell like dog to other dogs. I know of at least two incidents when dogs have gone after knit items made from dog. In one a dog tore up a sweater made of it’s own hair. In another a friend working at a dog sled race had to put her knit dog hair hat in a truck as the sled dogs were trying to attack it. Dog’s noses are much more sophisticated than human ones.

Judy Casserberg

Being warped is to live the good life

Good point for sure.

_._,_._,
_._,_._,_

Mary Underwood

Enjoying this. A little fact about dogs and smell. Norwegian Elkhound fur doesn’t smell (at least not in a bad way) when wet. My first Elkhound is responsible for me learning to spin. The breeders saved a big box of hair from the kennel where I got my first dog. When it came, Diamond was visibly ecstatic to greet her old housemates. The smell seemed to be as good as an actual meet-up!

Mary Underwood
(With a constant supply of this stuff all over the house. Always.)

Pat Bullen

One definition of wool:  the fine, soft curly or wavy hair forming the coat of a sheep, goat, or similar animal, especially when shorn and prepared for use in making cloth or yarn.

I personally think that wool only comes from sheep.  But then you have steel wool, cotton wool, and now in this article dog-wool.

At any rate, dog hair is lovely to spin.  We had a Great Pyrenees and unfortunately coca cola red shag carpet in our house (it came with the carpet). Almost all dogs with that fine undercoat that blows in the spring will make nice yarn.  Newfoundland, Chow, Great Pyrenese, Husky and Samoyed all spin beautifully.  Husky comes in a wide range of colors as a bonus.  There is a great book on spinning dog hair -- Putting on the Dog: The Animal Origins of What We Wear (9781595348647): Kwasny, Melissa: Books.

Virginia Glenn

When I first started weaving, back in the mid 70's, the big fluffy hand spun yarn was popular. I made a woven wall hanging from some yarn that was labeled "wolf hair yarn".  I gave it to a friend who had German Shepherd.  She hung it on the wall but finally had to take it down and hide it because her dog was constantly growling at it. Obviously he could smell it.

Judy Casserberg

Dog have a MUCH greater sensitivity to smell. That is why they are being trained to sniff out disease, drugs, gun powder etc. Even if we as humans cannot smell something it does not mean it doesn’t smell. Articles made with dog hair do smell like dog to other dogs and is something to be taken into consideration when using it.