Topics

weaving narrow bands/ribbon on 24" 4 shaft table loom, #bandweaving , #weaving ,4 shaft, #weaving #tableloom #bandweaving

Teri Byrne <aandtbyrne@...>

Hi Group
I'm a new weaver and have a 24" 4shaft table loom (vintage but new to me).
I'm thinking of starting Christmas gifts (I know ,I'm sorry !!! :) ) and had thought of camera/guitar straps, dog leads , bookmarks ,etc.
I know there are inkle looms for band weaving but wondering if the table loom can be used for these.....is it possible to weave more than 1 narrow band/ribbon on the loom at the same time....I'm thinking 2 or 3 narrow warps with space between and weave each as a separate piece but at the same time (hope that makes sense :) )
Has anyone done anything like this? Can you direct me to resources ?
thanks in advance for any ideas
Teri

Ian Bowers

The essential feature of the Inkle Loom is that it produces weft faced fabrics.  This requires a relatively open sett, hard beating and a tight warp.  The issue with a  table loom is the limit to the tension you can create and still open the shed enough for the shuttle to pass through, and beat the reed hard enough.  Worth a try, but I would see the first one as a sample to develop technique.  As for more than one at a time; possibly but multiply the issues above by the number of warp sets. 

Best regards

Ian Bowers (Dr)

Managing Director

www.georgeweil.com

GEORGE WEIL & SONS LTD, Old Portsmouth Road, Peasmarsh, Guildford, Surrey, GU3 1LZ

tel: 0 (+44) 1483 565800
fax: 0 (+44) 1483 565807

George Weil & Sons is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
Registered number 00321890. Registered office: Peasmarsh, Guildford, GU3 1LZ 

Follow George Weil: visit Twitter.comvisit Facebook.comsee our Blog

If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the message

From: weavetech@groups.io <weavetech@groups.io> On Behalf Of Teri Byrne via groups.io
Sent: 23 June 2020 10:18
To: weavetech@groups.io
Subject: [weavetech] weaving narrow bands/ribbon on 24" 4 shaft table loom, #bandweaving , #weaving ,4 shaft, #tableloom

Hi Group
I'm thinking of starting Christmas gifts (I know ,I'm sorry !!! :) ) and had thought of camera/guitar straps, dog leads , bookmarks ,etc.
I know there are inkle looms for band weaving but wondering if the table loom can be used for these.....is it possible to weave more than 1 narrow band/ribbon on the loom at the same time....I'm thinking 2 or 3 narrow warps with space between and weave each as a separate piece but at the same time (hope that makes sense :) )
Teri

Su Butler

Ian Bowers wrote:

>>> The essential feature of the Inkle Loom is that it produces weft faced fabrics.

Any inkle weaving I have ever done has been warp faced, not weft faced.  So you can certainly do warp faced weaving on an inkle loom.   On a table loom, you *can* do it, but whether you want to or not is another matter.  Table looms don’t have a lot of room to manipulate shuttles and if you are weaving three items at a time that means three shuttles for every row.  It certainly can be done, will depend entirely on your willingness to do it.  They can be warp faced if you like, which would require fewer picks per inch.  Best thing to do is do a sample and see if you like the results before tackling projects, imho.

Best,

Su Butler

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

Ian Bowers

Sue

You are right, I must write out 100 times, never write early in the morning!!!!

Other than that I think we agree.

Best regards

Ian Bowers (Dr)

Managing Director

www.georgeweil.com

GEORGE WEIL & SONS LTD, Old Portsmouth Road, Peasmarsh, Guildford, Surrey, GU3 1LZ

tel: 0 (+44) 1483 565800
fax: 0 (+44) 1483 565807

George Weil & Sons is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
Registered number 00321890. Registered office: Peasmarsh, Guildford, GU3 1LZ 

Follow George Weil: visit Twitter.comvisit Facebook.comsee our Blog

If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the message

From: weavetech@groups.io <weavetech@groups.io> On Behalf Of Su Butler via groups.io
Sent: 23 June 2020 12:57
Subject: Re: [weavetech] weaving narrow bands/ribbon on 24" 4 shaft table loom, #bandweaving , #weaving ,4 shaft, #tableloom

Ian Bowers wrote:

>>> The essential feature of the Inkle Loom is that it produces weft faced fabrics.

Any inkle weaving I have ever done has been warp faced, not weft faced.  So you can certainly do warp faced weaving on an inkle loom.   On a table loom, you *can* do it, but whether you want to or not is another matter.  Table looms don’t have a lot of room to manipulate shuttles and if you are weaving three items at a time that means three shuttles for every row.  It certainly can be done, will depend entirely on your willingness to do it.  They can be warp faced if you like, which would require fewer picks per inch.  Best thing to do is do a sample and see if you like the results before tackling projects, imho.

Best,

Su Butler

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

Chrystal de Freitas

Hi Teri - 

Welcome to weaving!  I know exactly what you mean.  I've done this quite a bit but a picture is worth one thousand words.  Go to www.handwovenwithcare.com and you'll see an example. 

Keep us posted, 
Chrystal 

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tue, Jun 23, 2020 2:18 am
Subject: [weavetech] weaving narrow bands/ribbon on 24" 4 shaft table loom, #bandweaving , #weaving ,4 shaft, #tableloom

Hi Group
Teri

bigwhitesofadog

I have woven two scarves at once on a floor loom. I didn't have the
added issue of trying to get a warp or weft faced structure. It seems
like a good idea, but the added time and movement of constantly
picking up and putting down shuttles made it tedious and cumbersome.
If you like slow weaving (some do) it's doable. I would do one, tie a
new warp to the old one, make another one, etc.
Sandra

Teri Byrne <aandtbyrne@...>

Thank you Sandra !

DOBATAF@...

We have a wonderful fabric shop near where I live that sells beautiful fringes with bangles and faux jewels or other fancy stuff. I have  used some of her fringes for scarves. They weigh down the ends a bit but you might find something online to sew onto the ends of your scarves. People I have given these to say they really like them. Barbara