Remote Learning

Sharlet Elms

I understand some or maybe many people don’t have good internet access for a variety of reasons. I would gently point out that there are ways around that if a guild or group wanted to consider some remote learning opportunities. One idea would be to go to a friend who has better internet access and listen at their home. Another thought would be for the guild to host the link at their usual meeting place so that those who don’t have good access could listen there.

Remote leaning is good for some topics but not for all as pointed out by others, however it would allow some guilds to gather for learning opportunities from a teacher on the other side of the world who they may not ever be able to host. There is never a one size fits all but remote learning opportunities opens up yet another door to access and share our worldwide pool of knowledge.

Sharlet Elms

P George

Dear Complex Weavers..

I've been teaching an advance college course in woven textile technology for the past 7 weeks! It has been more work than anyone could have imagined...learning to use digital broadcast systems, connecting cameras and multiple computers to each other, planning class content without actual looms and computers for the students to use, photographing hundreds of samples that I would have shared as swatches. It' like planning 50 different workshops for Complexity!

However, it also has taught me that a virtual presentation for a guild or other group is very possible.

When the sad news that Complexity 2020 has to be cancelled came out this week, I thought of proposing a fund-raising virtual workshop to help CW defray the loss of funds that cancellation. But I've been too busy keeping up with my classes to do that.

Now seems like a good time to float the idea....does anyone else who was scheduled to teach in Knoxville want to talk about a "virtual " lecture series?
I’m sure going to miss everyone elses live workshops!

Wishing all health and security at this time,
Patrice George
NYC/NY

On 5/3/20, 7:51 PM, "Sharlet Elms" <weavetech@groups.io on behalf of sharletrich@...> wrote:

[...]

Sara von Tresckow

Patrice,
I was working on a presentation - large, comprehensive handout with a
planned visual presentation - with touching samples. At the last minute, I
did suggest that at least some of the seminars could be made into online
presentations.
I would be more than willing to explore what might eventually take place
along those lines.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@...
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs

Nann Miller

There are many of us who would like to participate in some sort of virtual presentations in lieu of the Complex Weavers Conference.  If offered virtually, additional people could "attend" than space would allow in a F2F seminar!

I've taught design online in lecture situations and when our University was closed for ice storms.  It does require learning, and I was fortunate enough to use software designed specifically for this purpose (BlackBoard).  There are other programs that allow and facilitate online teaching, and perhaps one of these could be purchased by the Complex Weavers for the purpose of hosting an online seminar.

Just a thought.  I don't know if those who might consider these things are on this list serve or to whom we should direct our comments.
Nann Miller

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.woolgatherers.com&d=DwIFAw&c=7ypwAowFJ8v-mw8AB-SdSueVQgSDL4HiiSaLK01W8HA&r=CXpcwHMZW8NvE60JYhYr8Q&m=R-9DDeqKEB2n8LC1ZNi7OGB_nO8v3Xkc7FNDKk3WkYA&s=MaBVCLaHZkGbGfL8-2X8igOqse4tGFLDvv1AT_omkqo&e=  Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs

margcoe

Patricia and Sarah

There are two issues, presenters creating a video, and ”live” presentations in a meeting format.

As stated before I have online courses. These do take a lot of time to develop so that the audio, visual, and closed captioning are of quality and synced.

There are numerous platforms for live presentations, online learning, but the platforms addressing the needs of organizations are not free. I did speculate the possibility with a CWS member and have been researching them.

Some issues are: the number of attendees at any one session; platforms; services; and costs.

Larger educational organizations provide their own platforms or contract with third party services. Smaller groups may use one of the free services, such as Zoom or Google Hangout. Each has problems.

Zoom would require CW to contract with a third party for closed captioning of each presentation. Google Hangout requires everyone to be using Chrome. Google Meets requires a monthly fee (and possibly from each user). Microsoft Teams is related to Skype. Team's has gone through recent changes, as have most of the online meeting services. I'm still exploring their requirements, but it looks like participants are required to install Team's Desktop, and it's not certain that it's free.

ADA applies to non-profits. Teachers who participate, or the organization, would have to be sure that visuals are accompanied with alt-text, and audio is closed captioned.

In other words, there might well be again as much work for the organization as for in person Seminars, as well as for the presenters.

Marg

Sent from iDevice
coeweaves.com
e-weave-online.thinkific.com

Tien Chiu

ADA applies to non-profits. Teachers who participate, or the organization, would have to be sure that visuals are accompanied with alt-text, and audio is closed captioned.

With all due respect, Marg, the ADA does not apply to all nonprofits, and I don't think CW would be legally required to do this. (This is separate from whether it would be the morally right thing to do.) Section III of the ADA, which is the part that would apply to most nonprofits, requires that private entities that are places of public accommodation follow the ADA requirements. This includes private schools (which is why places like MIT and Harvard need to do this for their online courses), but CW is not a private school. Section 504 of the legal code, which has requirements similar to the ADA, applies to nonprofits that get federal funding, but again, I don't think that applies to CW (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So I don't think this would be a legal requirement for CW.

Mind you: I think this would be the right thing to do (and I include closed-captioning, alt-text, and downloadable transcripts in my own courses because I think it's the right thing to do), but I don't think it is legally required.

Tien

Sara von Tresckow

Marg,
Understood that there are things that need to be resolved, but in the case
of CW - it is a conference that has a conference fee - that fee structure
could easily be applied to using one of the "not free" video possibilities,
such as one with ability to help with the closed captioning, production
quality, etc. I would have received compensation for my seminar
presentation, I would also expect compensation and a professional
environment (like a hotel conference room) for any online presentations.
Trying to do this via "free online opportunities" just smells cheap from the
start.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@...
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs

margcoe

Thank you Tien. I will research this with CREEC and keep everyone informed.

Sara, yes indeed, free doesn't seem professional, but I thought the concept was raising funds for CW. To that end costs for CW to mount an online equivalent of seminars, and offer to participants, could be considerable, and there'd a huge learning curve for the organizers as well as some of the presenters.

Marg

Sent from iDevice
coeweaves.com
e-weave-online.thinkific.com

Sara von Tresckow

Apparently CW did NOT take a big hit cancelling the conference. If an online
substitute would be considered, I'd think it more than fair and in keeping
with the organization to charge those who "attend" same as they would for a
live conference - spend the money on a high quality virtual platform and
compensate the instructors as usual.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@...
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs

Linda Schultz

I would certainly be in favour of trying to offer an online version of the Seminars. Even if not all of the presenters are able to participate, I'm guessing that quite of few of them could adapt their program to an online version. They've already put in a lot of the necessary work, just pulling their program together.

More people could attend each class, than are able to do so in person. There may be an option to access seminars which were going to be offered at the same time. I would be willing to pay the same fee as I was going to pay anyways (less the meals and other related fees). And the instructors also could be paid the same fee. The money saved by not having to pay transportations costs for the instructors could pay for the platform and other services needed to make this work.

margcoe

The money saved by not having to pay transportations costs for the instructors could pay for the platform and other services needed to make this work.
Ahem, slight correction —the instructors are not reimbursed for transportation. CW would save some hotel fees which are reimbursed proportionate to seminars taught.

Marg

Sent from iDevice
coeweaves.com
e-weave-online.thinkific.com

Amy N

I am replying to Linda's email out of convenience, but this is not directed to you specifically, Linda, but to all participating in this discussion regarding a virtual/online version of Complex Weaver Seminars.

Before the issue of cost is even considered, the biggest obstacle is the learning curve and amount of effort involved in inventing, from scratch, something that no one in the CW organization has done before.

Over the last few weeks, as the Board wrestled with the challenges of cancelling, we have already heard from people interested in attending an online Seminars -- but no one who is willing to take charge of the planning.  Everyone who had a key role in planning the July Seminars is already tapped out -- they've been working for two years on putting together something that had to be cancelled (for good reasons).

So, anyone who is seriously interested in planning an online version of Seminars, please -- do the research and put together a proposal for the Board to consider.  Please.  And thank you.

Amy Norris
Registrar, CW Seminars 2020
and Complex Weavers Membership and Merchandise

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 10:16 AM Linda Schultz via groups.io <lindaschultz=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
I would certainly be in favour of trying to offer an online version of the Seminars. Even if not all of the presenters are able to participate, I'm guessing that quite of few of them could adapt their program to an online version. They've already put in a lot of the necessary work, just pulling their program together.

More people could attend each class, than are able to do so in person. There may be an option to access seminars which were going to be offered at the same time. I would be willing to pay the same fee as I was going to pay anyways (less the meals and other related fees). And the instructors also could be paid the same fee. The money saved by not having to pay transportations costs for the instructors could pay for the platform and other services needed to make this work.

Linda Schultz

I think sometimes I forget that Complex Weavers is completely volunteer run, when compared to HGA/Convergence.

I watched the alacrity with which my daughters' classes were switched to online only by teachers with no experience in doing so, and my husband switching to telemedicine, again with no experience in doing so, and so my perception was that this was relatively easy. In my ignorance, I did not realize that this was not the case.

I better shut up about it. :-)

Melissa Bottrell

I would just note that there are those, like me who would LOVE to attend CW but absolutely could not make the schedule work to go to a conference (especially since I had planned on attending the now cancelled CNCH). However, I would absolutely sign up for even a shortened, modified CW schedule with online approach. I would even be happy to pay a fee to attend asynchronously any recorded courses that I could not fit in an initial schedule for some period of time after the conference. To be able to attend multiple courses rather than having to pick and choose and only attend what fits in a certain timeframe is certainly a benefit of the recorded and online options.

I absolutely understand the pain of those with poor internet connections, and online teaching is complex at first (I regularly do it), but these are surmountable problems. And the option to bring in those who could not attend CW until they hit retirement age could be a benefit to the organization more generally.

My 2c

Melissa Bottrell

Joe P

Hi Melissa

Plan your vacation from work for the time of Complex Weavers Convention, save up some money and go. I was doing this for years, before I hit retirement age. I do the same thing after retirement age as well. Not a new concept.

Keep Weaving
Joe Bear in WI U.S.A.

[...]

Lisa Davy

I’m with Melissa!  Many more people could attend via an online platform so it could make more money!  And cost less as a big space would not have to be rented. We could all be safe but educated and happy!

I’m self employed so vacation is not an option for me.

Lisa

--
Lisa Davy
LDR Productions

Joe P

Hi Everyone

Yes it is true more people could attend the convention A weaver posted black board would be a good program to set up the on line platform That Program is $160,000.00 a year.  But there are others, not costly.  The fee ones, have a lot of pros and cons in the way they function poorly. So for a large event they will not to dependable. No a large building would not be needed true. The cost of the program. the hours of learning curve, the costs could be much more then a huge hall. The Complex Weavers Convention Has been planned for 26 days less then two years. You and other weavers feel the the convention platform can be put together in 26 days up and running. Complex Weavers will have to get together some how to get this done.

We are safe if we follow The new normal rules Stay home, ware a mask in public and distance of 6 feet. Educated sure can, get one of the weaving books we have all been going to read out. I am so happy that complex weaves are not going to come together to put themselves in harms way at this time to create a platform I am happy beyond words. This virus puts people in the hospital  Sad to say some do not come out of alive. Some weavers expectations of others at this time is beyond any comprehension.

Keep Weaving
Joe Bear in WI U.S.A,

[...]

Deanna Baugh

I make plans and arrangements for attending CW.  The first one I attended was only about 4 conferences ago, but it was so worth it to see and talk to the weavers.  I would not want to convert over to an online format.  I can see that it could work well for some classes, but the interactions is my main interest.

Deanna Baugh

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Mora Jackson

Dear Amy,

it seems there are many that are interested in having an online version of Seminars, including myself. Having the seminars online might also enable people to join who aren't able to travel. Maybe we could have an overall person in charge of organization and tracking the requirements, but have many people helping out with researching the specifics. This would reduce the effort required of putting such a proposal together, first for the board and then hopefully for the real event.
I'm willing to volunteer to help, specifically running the numbers or doing basic research, but am unable to be the main lead. We've been notified that we will be moving, but due to the corona virus, the government keeps changing the rules and our move date has been changed more than half a dozen times in the last four weeks.

Mora Jackson

mncwvr

Having taught Mathematics and Engineering courses for Universities and Colleges for over 30 years, I would like to add my perspective to this discussion.  I have taught in-person classes and I have taught online classes.  Probably the biggest take-away that have from those experiences is that there is room, and need, for both formats in a learning environment.  Regardless of the method of presentation, or the topic, be it science or arts or weaving, some primary factors for a successful learning experience include 1. How well the material is explained and presented?  2. How accessible is the instructor?  3. How available are the materials for the course?  4. How accessible are supplemental materials? 5. How can the students interact with each other?  Tien's responses in this discussion show that she is aware and concerned about many issues/factors of online teaching and is addressing them in a thoughtful manner.  I think we can all say that we've had good teachers and we've had poor teachers, regardless of the subject matter.  The format of the presentation (in-person or online) doesn't preclude either of these possibilities, it's the instructor and how he/she shares the material to facilitate the learning that really makes the difference.

People's learning styles differ, teacher's teaching styles differ.  As I would do with my teacher's hat on, I will say again, in my opinion:  There is room, and need, for weaving courses taught in-person as well as online.

Harriette Roadman