Berta Frey

Joe P

Hi Everyone

Yesterday being Saturday, The weavers guild I belong to had the day of the year weavers can sell off the thing no longer needed. Yarn, looms mostly small, Weaving tools, of different types and books and magazines.

All information below out of the book itself:

I found a book By Berta Frey called Designing and Drafting for Handweavers. This book is old school to today's weavers. But I like old school books. Published, The  Macmillan Company New York 1958 Library of congress catalog number 57-12522

I went to Wikipedia to read more about Berta Frey, I found that Berta had a full weaving life.

But when I went to the bottom of the page things just don't add up.

Designing and Drafting for Handweavers Frey Berta, the publisher The Macmillan Company New York 1968 ISBN 978-541460-0

In looking in my book the year published 1958. Wikipedia year published 1968 this is a 10 year difference between the years the book was published . Is there a reason for this or a typo?

Thank You
Keep Weaving
Joe Bear in WI U.S.A.

Su Butler

HI Joe….My copy of Berta Frey’s book is dated 1958 and published by Macmillan as well.  Mine carries an ISBN 0-02-011411-1.    Since the ISBN number is different on the 1968 edition, I suspect it is simply a new edition.  Whenever a book is revised and republished with it carries a new ISBN number.

Su Butler J

Pat Bullen

While working on a book to celebrate the Central Ohio Weavers Guild 80th birthday,
we were going through some of the many sample books and discovered a Bertie Frey
workshop the guild did in 1955 using materials published by the Mannings
"The Complete Book of Bertha Hayes’ Patterns – 75 Drafts and Design Effects Created by Bertha Hayes."
There are over 30 woven samples, all done with very fine cotton threads, mostly on table looms.  It's one
of the many gems we have uncovered in the COWG library.

marmar weaves

I am glad to see the attention to Berta Frey.
 When I was teaching myself to weave around  1995-8 and had done a few tricks from Debbie Redding, before the 2nd ed.  of Learning to Weave, I found Berta Frey.
Drafting and Designing for Handweavers stood  me in good stead for a long time for whatever I wanted to do.

 She might have really loved a computer! Very happy to see her  work being recognized and remember. Thank you.
Mar Mar in Middle TN.

Sally O

Don't forget, there is the Berta Frey Memorial Library at the Thousand Islands Arts Center in Clayton, NY.

Yes, you can see some of her original textiles in their textile collection, not to mention all the resources available in their handweaving library, including lots of sample books with drafts. (If you come, bring your camera.)

Joe P

Hi Everyone

Years ago I learned how to draft simple draw downs. I can do that with out a problem. I thought I would I like to get some weaving soft ware. Sara Von T. told me I could visit her studio and she would show me how the software works alone and with a computer driven loom. I decided at the time If I was going to do this I would want a large screen lap top that was a touch screen. With Sara's help we decided on the best weaving software for me. I had a health problem, things got put on hold for a while. The computer I want is out of stock till this coming Thursday and it will be ordered. I saw Sara at the weavers guild meeting this past Saturday. I asked Sara about how I go about getting the soft ware we picked out. Sara offered to help me. So when the computer gets here I will call Sara to see when she has extra time. I respect the fact Sara has weaving to do, and teaching and a shop to take care of. I am just grateful for the help. I well call and set a appointment with Sara.

I have a couple I don't have a couple of drafting books but they are wrote in a vocabulary that does not fit me. So When I saw the Designing and Drafting for Hand weavers by Beta Frey At the weavers guild sale I opened the book and read some of it and I could under stand what was wrote. So I bought the book. So I would have a better idea of the terms used in designing that the computer software will have that I don't know. In watching you tube videos I saw that Madelyn van der Hoogt was explaining how weaving software works. Madelyn said a weaver should know how to do draw downs before the weaver uses weaving software to get the full advantage of the software. So that is what I have been working on the last couple of days just a page or two. the book by Berta Frey is for the most 4 shaft weaving so I am walking before I run.

I have a feeling Berta would have enjoyed a computer a great deal.

Keep Weaving
Joe Bear in WI U.S.A.

margcoe

Joe, I’m sure you’ll do fine with Sara’s help.

But, with respect, the quoted concept from Madelyn “. . . [weavers] should know how to do drawdowns before the weaver uses weaving software to get the full advantage of the software” is at best dated.

There are many fine new weavers who have had computers in their lives, all their lives. They are embracing weaving software much more easily than their predecessors, and gravitating to 16, 24, and 32-shaft looms very quickly.

The idea that weavers should first know how to do drawdowns before tackling designing with a computer is about as valid as saying people should use a sundial before they can use a watch.

Marg

Sent from iDevice
coeweaves.com
e-weave-online.thinkific.com

Debbie Kaplan

Joe, I second Marg’s idea of not waiting. Weaving software can be a fine thing to use while you are learning drafting.

You can input a given draft and change just one thing and it will automatically change the cloth for you. This could be a real aid in seeing how the draft works. Maybe try it at Sara’s, on a draft you have already come to know and see what small changes in treading, tie-up or threading do. In learning, I would just emphasize making one change at a time to avoid confusion..

Debbie Kaplan

Sara von Tresckow

Folks, Just be aware that Joe worked closely with Ken Colwell for a long
time back in the day. All one needs to do is jog his memory a bit and he's
speeding forward with new material.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@woolgatherers.com
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs

Doreen McLaughlin

            After attending a workshop where a great deal of time was spent with colored pencils and graph paper to make draw-downs, to the point where I did not get to weave all the samples, I invested in weaving software for my smartphone and laptop. Those who say I am cheating will have to tear that software out of my cold dead hands.

            If I won the lottery, I would love to do a PhD dissertation and book on Berta Frey’s weavings.

Doreen

Linda Adamson

 I hope you win the lottery Doreen.
Linda