ADMIN - YahooGroups

Amy N

Hi all -

I am aware that some functionality is being eliminated from YahooGroup at the end of this month.  We will no longer be able to upload pictures or files.

Messages will not be affected.  For now.

I am looking at migrating us to groups.io.

I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, I have downloaded (for back up purposes) all the files in storage here.  I have requested a download of the 1,124 photos but am not sure they will be able to accomplish this. The files and photos will not be deleted until mid December.

Amy Norris
Admin, WeaveTech

Beryl Moody

I've migrated a couple of groups to io.  The problem I see is that they only allow 1 GB of storage.  I've downsized files to avoid paying for the service.  Also, they didn't migrate the group as quickly as I thought they would, however it was done quickly once started.

Good luck with the change.

Beryl

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 4:42 PM amyfibre@... [WeaveTech] <WeaveTech@...> wrote:

Hi all -

I am aware that some functionality is being eliminated from YahooGroup at the end of this month.  We will no longer be able to upload pictures or files.

Messages will not be affected.  For now.

I am looking at migrating us to groups.io.

I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, I have downloaded (for back up purposes) all the files in storage here.  I have requested a download of the 1,124 photos but am not sure they will be able to accomplish this. The files and photos will not be deleted until mid December.

Amy Norris
Admin, WeaveTech

Su Butler

HI Amy….don’t know for sure if this will work but you might look at https://sourceforge.net/directory/os:windows/?q=yahoo+photo+downloader   Scroll down to the third option, PD – PhotoDownloader.   It is old but perhaps would work??

Su

I am aware that some functionality is being eliminated from YahooGroup at the end of this month.  We will no longer be able to upload pictures or files.

Messages will not be affected.  For now.

I am looking at migrating us to groups.io.

I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, I have downloaded (for back up purposes) all the files in storage here.  I have requested a download of the 1,124 photos but am not sure they will be able to accomplish this. The files and photos will not be deleted until mid December.

Amy Norris

Admin, WeaveTech

Su Butler

P.s. – further down the same page is Yahoo Group archiver, and in the description it says you can download everything from the filres section and all the images from the photo section…..take a look.   https://sourceforge.net/directory/os:windows/?q=yahoo+photo+downloader

Su

I am aware that some functionality is being eliminated from YahooGroup at the end of this month.  We will no longer be able to upload pictures or files.

Messages will not be affected.  For now.

I am looking at migrating us to groups.io.

I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, I have downloaded (for back up purposes) all the files in storage here.  I have requested a download of the 1,124 photos but am not sure they will be able to accomplish this. The files and photos will not be deleted until mid December.

Amy Norris

Admin, WeaveTech

Su Butler

Further down the same page are two other options that might work for you Amy…..take a look!

Su Butler

HI Amy….don’t know for sure if this will work but you might look at https://sourceforge.net/directory/os:windows/?q=yahoo+photo+downloader   Scroll down to the third option, PD – PhotoDownloader..   It is old but perhaps would work??

Su

Sara von Tresckow

That item in SourceForge was last updated in 2015. With continuing
development both in operating systems and Yahoo platform, I wouldn't put a
lot of faith in that app.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@...
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs

Amy N

Please do not email any comments or suggestions on this to the group.  It's just going to clutter up our archives with non-weaving related posts.

If you want to share something with me, please email me directly (amy@...).

Thank you,
Amy Norris
Admin, WeaveTech

Jocelyn Freeman

Thank you for dealing with all of it, I enjoy the postings. Joey Freeman

I am aware that some functionality is being eliminated from YahooGroup at the end of this month.  We will no longer be able to upload pictures or files.

Messages will not be affected.  For now.

I am looking at migrating us to groups.io.

I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, I have downloaded (for back up purposes) all the files in storage here.  I have requested a download of the 1,124 photos but am not sure they will be able to accomplish this. The files and photos will not be deleted until mid December.

Amy Norris

Admin, WeaveTech

Bob DeJong

Hi Amy, what about using a Facebook group?  I think you can store photos and documents, etc.

On Thursday, October 17, 2019, 7:42:43 PM EDT, amyfibre@... [WeaveTech] <WeaveTech@...> wrote:

Hi all -

I am aware that some functionality is being eliminated from YahooGroup at the end of this month.  We will no longer be able to upload pictures or files.

Messages will not be affected.  For now.

I am looking at migrating us to groups.io.

I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, I have downloaded (for back up purposes) all the files in storage here.  I have requested a download of the 1,124 photos but am not sure they will be able to accomplish this. The files and photos will not be deleted until mid December.

Amy Norris
Admin, WeaveTech

Sara von Tresckow

Facebook groups are a sure fire way to lose archived information. They are
great for quick photos, but difficult to reference for past postings.
Several groups I belong to have gone over to groups.io and rather seamlessly
in terms of form and function. One can still access older postings and
photos and the email format is something nice for longer posts.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@...
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs

Clare Settle

There is a Facebook group. It’s WeaveTech.

Clare

On Thursday, October 17, 2019, 7:42:43 PM EDT, amyfibre@... [WeaveTech] wrote:

Hi all -

I am aware that some functionality is being eliminated from YahooGroup at the end of this month.  We will no longer be able to upload pictures or files.

Messages will not be affected.  For now.

I am looking at migrating us to groups.io.

I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, I have downloaded (for back up purposes) all the files in storage here.  I have requested a download of the 1,124 photos but am not sure they will be able to accomplish this. The files and photos will not be deleted until mid December.

Amy Norris
Admin, WeaveTech

margcoe

Sara

On FB, each post in a group can be tagged. For example by structure “Bateman” or “Double weave”, or technique, or equipment type.  Click on the tag and all items with that tag pop up.

Groups identified as “social learning” can create “Units” on any topic and includes images.

FB is different, yes, but it has a lot more features than many realuse.

Marg

Marg Coe
www.e-weave-online.thinkific.com

On Oct 18, 2019, at 9:34 AM, 'SARA VON TRESCKOW' sarav@... [WeaveTech] wrote:

Facebook groups are a sure fire way to lose archived information. They are
great for quick photos, but difficult to reference for past postings.
Several groups I belong to have gone over to groups.io and rather seamlessly
in terms of form and function. One can still access older postings and
photos and the email format is something nice for longer posts.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@...
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs

Sara von Tresckow

I realize that there are many real time feature on Facebook, but the real difference between the list serve and Facebook is that I have several years’ worth of WeaveTech emails that were of importance to me – on MY computer, not somewhere out on the cloud. I reference them fairly often and find that storage method more solid than FB.

[...]

nancy

nancy biggins in california says please please please do not move us to facebooks.  i have stayed off facebook for many years for reasons i considered legal and ethical.  i do not wish to have to go there to see any weaving items.  my life has become very "bare" since most of the weaving lists have disappeared.  please, if you move us, move us to the  other site people are recommending.

i know many people are very happy and comfortable with facebook, but there are many besides me who have similar reservations and ......do not choose to participate on facebook

thank you

nancy biggins, ancient retired lawyer with dim dim view of facebook and all things related to it