Megado dobby 2.0 file problem solved

Sara von Tresckow

Sally,
Thank you for the concise explanation.
I have noticed, over the years, that some wif files imported into my weaving
software show slight differences in the colors and display when used in a
program other than the one used to create the wif.
I also generally look carefully when first opened and recreate the original
file, then save it both as wif and "native" format for that program. Any
files sent to my Toika dobby are first rendered clean in Weavepoint and then
saved as Weavepoint files.
Weavepoint has an option when saving to wif format to include both treadling
and liftplan in the file. Fiberworks simply saves the file as wif with no
options.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@...
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs

Sally Breckenridge

The problem with WIF files is that the original specification was very vague and put the onus on the reader.  It makes it more difficult for the programs to read wif because the writer can specify just about anything.  At the time in 1996, I complained to Ravi about that as I was a compiler writer in my career, but I was a newbie in the weaving software world and was ignored.  Now we all pay the price.

iWeaveIt for IOS and Android, and WeaveIt Pro for the Mac all use WIF format as the native format for the program.  This is because its easier on users to not have to make sure files are saved in that format.  The reason binary formats were used in the '90s was because computers were much slower then.   I have encountered no issues using WIF as the native format. Its small and portable.

Since iWeaveIt tends to be a reader for all versions of WIF from different programs, I have had to pay attention to how all the different programs write the wif files.  The biggest areas of issue are the multiple allowed formats for color.  Another problem is that many programs write the wif file as a lift plan rather than treadling.  WeaveIt writes both for those programs that need only lift plan. I know from my users that the generic Louet loom driver has difficultly reading the wifs that are written by WeaveIt.   Since the problem is on the reader side (Louet program), I don't know what it is.  My Louet users use the embedded Louet driver that's in the Windows version of WeaveIt and that works well from the reports I have had.  I have notified Louet about it, but there is nothing I can do on my side since I don't know what the issue is.   I suspect that Fiberworks has the same issue.   Bob and I share files to make sure we can always exchange them.  I also use a number of Pixeloom files and WeavePoint files to make sure they are being read by WeaveIt and iWeaveIt.  I know that the AVL k-loom driver easily reads my WeaveIt wif files as I am using that every day.

It would be nice to change the format, but it is so embedded in programs and drivers and it took 20 years for that to happen, so  it is going to be nearly impossible to change it.  I myself have 4 weaving applications on 4 different operating systems using 4 different programming languages.  It would be an daunting task to change it.   It would be better if the programs work together to solve any current bugs.

Sally Breckenridge

Deanna Johnson

WIF files are plain text, so any problems probably have to do with different programs using the protocol in different ways (ie. one program includes color information, another doesn’t read that section.) I’m guessing ALL of the programs can read the files, it’s just that they aren’t all using the same conventions. So one program may not save certain types of information, and another may require it.

So does “obsolete format” mean that the developers have decided to no longer coordinate their efforts?

Deanna

On Oct 15, 2019, at 12:49 PM, 'margcoe@...' margcoe@... [WeaveTech] <WeaveTech@...> wrote:

Sandra

Frankly, I’m not technically knowledgeable to respond to this. It is more that programs/programmers are having problems, not necessarily weavers. WIF uses an obsolete format that went out with Windows 3.1. It’s difficult for some programs to read WIF files developed in a different program. Etc.

It has long been recommended that we save files in the native format of the program we are using.

I’m doing better, but I still have a ton of files to re-save.

Marg

On Oct 15, 2019, at 6:20 AM, Sandra Eberhart sandra.eberhart@... [WeaveTech] <WeaveTech@...> wrote:

Marge, what are the problems that people are having with WIF files?
I have a lot of them that I have gotten from various sources, and I
convert them to Weavepoint files as I use them. If there is a problem
with them being stable I should probably take the time to convert
everything I think I'll want to use..
Sandra

_._,___

margcoe

[...]

Karen Donde

Well, I will have to follow that discussion more closely. But the Louet dobby 2.0 is set up to work with its on board computer via a WiFi connection to a laptop or tablet. It can only read a WIF.
Karen

bigwhitesofadog

Marge, what are the problems that people are having with WIF files?
I have a lot of them that I have gotten from various sources, and I
convert them to Weavepoint files as I use them. If there is a problem
with them being stable I should probably take the time to convert
everything I think I'll want to use.
Sandra

margcoe

Why do you save the file as a WIF?  Is it that you’re transferring the draft to a different program? Developers are finding the WIF format to be increasingly problematic.

Marg

Marg Coe
www.e-weave-online.thinkific.com

On Oct 14, 2019, at 11:58 AM, Karen karendonde@... [WeaveTech] wrote:

Regarding the problem I had with Louet dobby 2.0 not opening a new lift plan WIF yesterday, I resolved it. Apparently it was a Fiberworks issue. With fresh eyes this morning, I decided to try quitting my Fiberworks program, and then waiting a beat before reopening. I reopened the original draft, converted to lift plan, saved as a FW file, then saved again as a WIF. Moved it to the USB and it opened right up in the weaving window. Just finished weaving the sample.

I tend to keep FW files open or minimized in the dock for a long time while working on them or waiting to get them on loom. FW must have needed a refresh.

Thanks to those who responded with offers to help.

Karen

Karen Donde