Knit silk or cotton scarf blanks for dyeing...and then weaving

Louise Yale

Finding woven scarf blanks in abundance on the web....but not knit scarf blanks which could be dyed and then unraveled for re-weaving.

Anyone know of any sources?

Thanks.

Louise

---
https://www.avg.com

Sharon Schulze

Thrift stores? Or unravel sweaters which are def at the thrift stores right now.

On Jan 4, 2019, at 7:30 PM, 'cafeina@...' cafeina@... [WeaveTech] <WeaveTech@...> wrote:

Finding woven scarf blanks in abundance on the web....but not knit scarf
blanks which could be dyed and then unraveled for re-weaving.

Anyone know of any sources?

Thanks.

Louise

---
https://www.avg.com

marmar weaves

I would phone Knit picks, or Dharma trading. Either might have them, or knowledgable suggestion. Sock blanks were for sale OUAT, They  could be lined up side by side and dyed, in sequence and parallel. Books on dyeing sock yarn in patterns should list sources. Perhaps someone has those books and might fill us in.

On Jan 4, 2019, at 7:30 PM, 'cafeina@...' cafeina@... [WeaveTech] <WeaveTech@...> wrote:

Finding woven scarf blanks in abundance on the web....but not knit scarf
blanks which could be dyed and then unraveled for re-weaving.

Anyone know of any sources?

Thanks.

Louise

&quot;The selection of the terms we use today must be such that as many people as possible can understand each other.&quot;

                                                   -Peter Collingwood

[...]

Need rectangles in  scarf dimensions with continuous yarn so that the dyed designs can be unraveled and then woven.

Louise

On 1/4/2019 5:06 PM, Sharon skschulze@... [WeaveTech] wrote:

Thrift stores? Or unravel sweaters which are def at the thrift stores right now.

On Jan 4, 2019, at 7:30 PM, 'cafeina@...' cafeina@... [WeaveTech] <WeaveTech@...> wrote:

Finding woven scarf blanks in abundance on the web....but not knit scarf
blanks which could be dyed and then unraveled for re-weaving.

Anyone know of any sources?

Thanks.

Louise

---
https://www.avg.com

sandrarude

Louise,

An alternative would be to weave your own blanks. Make the sett of your "to-be-rewoven" warp very open to facilitate unweaving, with a slippery weft of finer grist. Dye  your blank, remove the weft, and weave with the intended weft at a normal sett.

Sandra

On 1/4/2019 5:29 PM, 'cafeina@...' cafeina@... [WeaveTech] wrote:

Need rectangles in  scarf dimensions with continuous yarn so that the dyed designs can be unraveled and then woven.

Louise Yale

To clarify....the idea behind the knit blank is the potential for a unique (and hopefully beautiful) resist formed in the knitting that will show up (when unraveled)  in a fascinating form in the woven scarf.

Louise

On 1/4/2019 6:38 PM, Sandra Rude sandra@... [WeaveTech] wrote:

Louise,

An alternative would be to weave your own blanks. Make the sett of your "to-be-rewoven" warp very open to facilitate unweaving, with a slippery weft of finer grist. Dye  your blank, remove the weft, and weave with the intended weft at a normal sett.

Sandra

On 1/4/2019 5:29 PM, 'cafeina@...' cafeina@... [WeaveTech] wrote:

Need rectangles in  scarf dimensions with continuous yarn so that the dyed designs can be unraveled and then woven.

Lorraine FAST

Another option would be to buy a very simple used knitting machine. You can then knit blanks to your heart’s content with any yarn you choose. I have found some nice ones on Craigslist. The first one I had was given to me by someone in our Guild and I have since passed that one on to someone else.
Lorraine

Sent from Lorraine's iPad

Susan Lee-Bechtold

One of the weavers I know knit blanks, and dyed them, then unraveled them and wove with the yarn, beautiful, but there was no interesting design created by the knitting, no reason to think that the yarn could act as a resist for itself, if it some takes the dye, then it all takes up the dye.-the other Su

Louise Yale

Hi Susan

Actually there is a reason.

Using my own specific technique, I can achieve "resists" (i.e. variations in color) with just bundles of yarn.

Using that technique in a mini-version, I am sure I can achieve variation in color with a knit blank.

Think creatively !!

Louise in NorCal

On 1/4/2019 8:06 PM, 'Susan Lee-Bechtold' susanleebechtold@... [WeaveTech] wrote:

One of the weavers I know knit blanks, and dyed them, then unraveled them and wove with the yarn, beautiful, but there was no interesting design created by the knitting, no reason to think that the yarn could act as a resist for itself, if it some takes the dye, then it all takes up the dye.-the other Su

suki248

Have you tried

https://www.machineknittingtodyefor.com

Charlene

On 1/4/2019 7:30 PM, 'cafeina@...' cafeina@... [WeaveTech] wrote:

Finding woven scarf blanks in abundance on the web....but not knit scarf
blanks which could be dyed and then unraveled for re-weaving.

Anyone know of any sources?

Thanks.

Louise

---
https://www.avg.com

Wendy Clark <wenweave@...>

Patternworks carries them

On Sat, Jan 5, 2019, 4:09 AM charlene schurch caloosa@... [WeaveTech] <WeaveTech@... wrote:

Have you tried

https://www.machineknittingtodyefor.com

Charlene

On 1/4/2019 7:30 PM, 'cafeina@...' cafeina@... [WeaveTech] wrote:

Finding woven scarf blanks in abundance on the web....but not knit scarf
blanks which could be dyed and then unraveled for re-weaving.

Anyone know of any sources?

Thanks.

Louise

---
https://www.avg.com

1 Simple Trick Removes Eye Bags Lip Lines in Seconds
ourhealthpros.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3142/5c3073ea544e973d775cdst04vuc
SponsoredBy Content.Ad

lorele3773 <Lorele3773@...>

I knit my own.  Sock blanks will work, they usually run 2 threads together in the knit process, so when unravelled, the socks match.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Louise Yale

Hi Charlene and everyone

Saw this site on a computer search but have been unable to access it. My computer says the site is not secure and will not go there.

Louise in NorCal

On 1/5/2019 1:07 AM, charlene schurch caloosa@... [WeaveTech] wrote:

Have you tried

https://www.machineknittingtodyefor.com

Charlene

On 1/4/2019 7:30 PM, 'cafeina@...' cafeina@... [WeaveTech] wrote:

Finding woven scarf blanks in abundance on the web....but not knit scarf
blanks which could be dyed and then unraveled for re-weaving.

Anyone know of any sources?

Thanks.

Louise

---
https://www.avg.com

suki248

Try going to your local library to get Nancy Roberts contact info. I know she was doing blanks from silk for weavers.

On 1/5/2019 12:27 PM, 'cafeina@...' cafeina@... [WeaveTech] wrote:

Hi Charlene and everyone

Saw this site on a computer search but have been unable to access it. My computer says the site is not secure and will not go there.

Louise in NorCal

On 1/5/2019 1:07 AM, charlene schurch caloosa@... [WeaveTech] wrote:

Have you tried

https://www.machineknittingtodyefor.com

Charlene

On 1/4/2019 7:30 PM, 'cafeina@...' cafeina@... [WeaveTech] wrote:

Finding woven scarf blanks in abundance on the web....but not knit scarf
blanks which could be dyed and then unraveled for re-weaving.

Anyone know of any sources?

Thanks.

Louise

---
https://www.avg.com

Diane de Souza

I couldn't get into the site either directly but was able to get to it from another site that had a link - not sure of the difference.  Anyway, she does sell scarf blanks.  The info is here - https://www.machineknittingtodyefor.com/product-category/kits-and-booklets/

I got into it from this site -

Diane