Weaving checker board

weaveworks2003@...

Hi,

Is there an easy way to thread up and tie up to weave a distinct black and white checkerboard?  I have an 8 shaft loom.  Well, I have 4 shaft looms, too, but I think it would work better on an 8 shaft loom.

Lynne in Maine

www.weaveworks.com

Amy N

Two blocks of doubleweave, with one layer one and one layer black.

That's what I would do.

Amy

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 3:18 PM, weaveworks2003@... [WeaveTech] <WeaveTech@...> wrote:

Hi,

Is there an easy way to thread up and tie up to weave a distinct black and white checkerboard?  I have an 8 shaft loom.  Well, I have 4 shaft looms, too, but I think it would work better on an 8 shaft loom.

Lynne in Maine

www.weaveworks.com

Clare Settle

Doubleweave blocks on 8 shafts are the obvious answer.  Eve Stossel has them discussed towards the bottom of this blog entry https://evasweaving.wordpress.com/category/double-weave-2/.   Just use only black and white, and you'll be all set.  

Clare in CT

Clare

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 4:18 PM, weaveworks2003@... [WeaveTech] <WeaveTech@...> wrote:

Hi,

Is there an easy way to thread up and tie up to weave a distinct black and white checkerboard?  I have an 8 shaft loom.  Well, I have 4 shaft looms, too, but I think it would work better on an 8 shaft loom.

Lynne in Maine

www.weaveworks.com

Bill Crawford

A two block satin damask could also be done, but it would be a 4 shaft satin, not 5, so not strictly following the rules for satin maybe, but it does work. An example is in "photos", can't post it into this thread I guess.

Erica de Ruiter <ederuiter@...>

Taqueté will produce a real black and white checkerboard, requiring ony 4 shafts.

Erica

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPad

Op 7 dec. 2016 om 22:18 heeft weaveworks2003@... [WeaveTech] <WeaveTech@...> het volgende geschreven:

Hi,

Is there an easy way to thread up and tie up to weave a distinct black and white checkerboard?  I have an 8 shaft loom.  Well, I have 4 shaft looms, too, but I think it would work better on an 8 shaft loom.

Lynne in Maine

www.weaveworks.com

Pat

What's the differences between Summer and Winter and Taquete?  I haven't done taquete but did some turned taquete recently and it seems to be the same and what summer and winter would be if was turned...or at least the one treadling.

Pat Brown

On Thursday, December 8, 2016 4:49 AM, "Erica de Ruiter ederuiter@... [WeaveTech]" wrote:

Taqueté will produce a real black and white checkerboard, requiring ony 4 shafts.

Erica

Op 7 dec. 2016 om 22:18 heeft weaveworks2003@... [WeaveTech] <WeaveTech@...> het volgende geschreven:

Hi,

Lynne in Maine

Erica de Ruiter <ederuiter@...>

Summer and winter is the one that has tabby shots btween the pattern threads; taquete is a bound weave, covering the warp completely, alternating two pattern shots, in you checkerboard black and white.
I hope you' ll understand what try to explain.. 
Erica, Malden,The Netherlands

Op 8 dec. 2016 om 14:40 heeft Pat Brown knitspinweave@... [WeaveTech] <WeaveTech@...> het volgende geschreven:

What's the differences between Summer and Winter and Taquete?  I haven't done taquete but did some turned taquete recently and it seems to be the same and what summer and winter would be if was turned...or at least the one treadling.

Pat Brown

On Thursday, December 8, 2016 4:49 AM, "Erica de Ruiter ederuiter@... [WeaveTech]" <WeaveTech@...> wrote:

Erica

Hi,

Lynne in Maine

Sara von Tresckow

If the purpose of the project is really to create a checkerboard, rep will give the fabric stability to be used as a game board.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@...
Author of “When a Single Harness Simply Isn’t Enough”
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning needs

bonnieinouye@...

You can weave a checkerboard on 4 shafts using turned taquete. See the draft in handweaving.net, number 61535
To see the squares clearly, sett your warp midway between a twill sett and a double weave sett (twice plain weave) as recommended in sett charts. Then use a finer yarn for weft. Usually there are more ends per inch than picks, which makes the weaving go quickly. Instead of counting picks, measure the cloth to be sure you have squares. Weave a sample and wash it to be sure of the dimensions of the finished piece.

Bonnie Inouye

Barbara Scott

Thank you for this information. I have been trying, with limited success, to find information on the sett for taquete.  You have now given me a starting place on which I can build.

Barbara S.
Guelph, Canada

To: WeaveTech@...
Sent: Thursday, December 8, 2016 10:17 AM
Subject: [WeaveTech] Re: Weaving checker board

You can weave a checkerboard on 4 shafts using turned taquete. See the draft in handweaving.net, number 61535
To see the squares clearly, sett your warp midway between a twill sett and a double weave sett (twice plain weave) as recommended in sett charts. Then use a finer yarn for weft. Usually there are more ends per inch than picks, which makes the weaving go quickly. Instead of counting picks, measure the cloth to be sure you have squares. Weave a sample and wash it to be sure of the dimensions of the finished piece.

Bonnie Inouye

Bill Crawford

Doubleweave can give you solid color on each face on 8 shafts, in plain weave.

Clare Settle

Both have a plainweave background/tiedown weave.

Summer and Winter has a pattern warp AND a pattern weft.  Taquete has only a pattern weft.  Turned taquete has only a pattern warp.

Clare

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 8:40 AM, Pat Brown knitspinweave@... [WeaveTech] <WeaveTech@...> wrote:

What's the differences between Summer and Winter and Taquete?  I haven't done taquete but did some turned taquete recently and it seems to be the same and what summer and winter would be if was turned...or at least the one treadling.

Pat Brown

On Thursday, December 8, 2016 4:49 AM, "Erica de Ruiter ederuiter@... [WeaveTech]" <WeaveTech@...> wrote:

Erica

Hi,

Lynne in Maine

Su Butler

Taqueté does not weave ground cloth, Summer and Winter does.  In Taqueté the pattern is created by weaving the pattern threads on opposites.  While they can certainly be woven on the same threading, they are not quite the same thing….Taqueté is a compound weave and Summer and Winter is not.  Taquete is a weft faced (or warp faced if turned) weave, so heavier than Summer and Winter.  There are more differences but that is a start.

Best,

Su Butler J

Pat Brown

Clare Settle

Thanks for the correction!

Clare

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 11:05 AM, 'Su Butler' teach2weave@... [WeaveTech] <WeaveTech@...> wrote:

Taqueté does not weave ground cloth, Summer and Winter does.  In Taqueté the pattern is created by weaving the pattern threads on opposites.  While they can certainly be woven on the same threading, they are not quite the same thing….Taqueté is a compound weave and Summer and Winter is not.  Taquete is a weft faced (or warp faced if turned) weave, so heavier than Summer and Winter.  There are more differences but that is a start.

Best,

Su Butler J

What's the differences between Summer and Winter and Taquete?  I haven't done taquete but did some turned taquete recently and it seems to be the same and what summer and winter would be if was turned...or at least the one treadling.

Pat Brown

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

suki248

Is there a book that explains how to design in Taquete? It seems interesting but I have not seen a good reference.

On 12/8/2016 11:05 AM, 'Su Butler' teach2weave@... [WeaveTech] wrote:

Best,

Su Butler J

Pat Brown

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

Bill Crawford

Nancy Arthur Hoskins book " Weft-Faced Pattern Weaves: Tabby to Taquete" and there are a few pages in "Warp and Weft:Lessons in Drafting for Handweaving" by Eriksson, Gustavsson and Lovallius.  :)

DR D W Taylor

Hi
I seem to remember a nice checkerboard pattern from an old issue of Prairie Wool Companion or Weaver's Magazine (not sure which).  Someone may have an index for the issue number.  Peace. D Taylor, DVM

Bonnie Inouye <bonnieinouye@...>

Start with Lillian Whipple's article in WeaveZine, Summer and Winter to Taquete.

Lillian also wrote a second article for WeaveZine about weaving letters using summer and winter and taquete.

I have woven both taquete and turned taquete. The cloth feels different and they are used for different kinds of projects. First decide which of these is best for what you want to make on a warp.
Taquete is generally weft-faced because the design comes from the weft. You get a lot of design freedom when using a table loom or dobby loom. It's great for woven images. Polychrome taquete is fun but then you will be using more than two shuttles all the time. Look for books and articles by Lillian Whipple and Nancy Hoskins.

Turned taquete is generally warp-faced or warp-emphasis because the design comes from the warp. It has nice drape  and the weaving goes quickly because it is usually a single-shuttle weave. I design very differently for the turned structure when using more than 4 shafts, especially when using a loom without treadle limitations.
I wrote an article about turned taquete for the Complex Weavers Journal, and it is included in Marian Stubenitsky's book, Weaving with Echo and Iris.

Bonnie Inouye

beverly.weaver

I wove a checkerboard using rep weave - works great...

Beverly Weaver

Bill Crawford

Yes, I believe it would work very well.

Many options. :)