Weaving checker board

weaveworks2003@...

Hi,

Is there an easy way to thread up and tie up to weave a distinct black and white checkerboard?  I have an 8 shaft loom.  Well, I have 4 shaft looms, too, but I think it would work better on an 8 shaft loom.

Lynne in Maine

www.weaveworks.com

Amy N

Two blocks of doubleweave, with one layer one and one layer black.

That's what I would do.

Amy

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 3:18 PM, weaveworks2003@... [WeaveTech] <WeaveTech@...> wrote:

Hi,

Is there an easy way to thread up and tie up to weave a distinct black and white checkerboard?  I have an 8 shaft loom.  Well, I have 4 shaft looms, too, but I think it would work better on an 8 shaft loom.

Lynne in Maine

www.weaveworks.com

Clare Settle

Doubleweave blocks on 8 shafts are the obvious answer.  Eve Stossel has them discussed towards the bottom of this blog entry https://evasweaving.wordpress.com/category/double-weave-2/.   Just use only black and white, and you'll be all set.

Clare in CT

Clare

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 4:18 PM, weaveworks2003@... [WeaveTech] <WeaveTech@...> wrote:

Hi,

Is there an easy way to thread up and tie up to weave a distinct black and white checkerboard?  I have an 8 shaft loom.  Well, I have 4 shaft looms, too, but I think it would work better on an 8 shaft loom.

Lynne in Maine

www.weaveworks.com

Bill Crawford

A two block satin damask could also be done, but it would be a 4 shaft satin, not 5, so not strictly following the rules for satin maybe, but it does work. An example is in "photos", can't post it into this thread I guess.

Erica de Ruiter <ederuiter@...>

Taqueté will produce a real black and white checkerboard, requiring ony 4 shafts.

Erica

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPad

Op 7 dec. 2016 om 22:18 heeft weaveworks2003@... [WeaveTech] <WeaveTech@...> het volgende geschreven:

Hi,

Is there an easy way to thread up and tie up to weave a distinct black and white checkerboard?  I have an 8 shaft loom.  Well, I have 4 shaft looms, too, but I think it would work better on an 8 shaft loom.

Lynne in Maine

www.weaveworks.com

Pat

What's the differences between Summer and Winter and Taquete?  I haven't done taquete but did some turned taquete recently and it seems to be the same and what summer and winter would be if was turned...or at least the one treadling.

Pat Brown

On Thursday, December 8, 2016 4:49 AM, "Erica de Ruiter ederuiter@... [WeaveTech]" wrote:

Taqueté will produce a real black and white checkerboard, requiring ony 4 shafts.

Erica

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPad

Op 7 dec. 2016 om 22:18 heeft weaveworks2003@... [WeaveTech] <WeaveTech@...> het volgende geschreven:

Hi,

Is there an easy way to thread up and tie up to weave a distinct black and white checkerboard?  I have an 8 shaft loom.  Well, I have 4 shaft looms, too, but I think it would work better on an 8 shaft loom.

Lynne in Maine

Erica de Ruiter <ederuiter@...>

Summer and winter is the one that has tabby shots btween the pattern threads; taquete is a bound weave, covering the warp completely, alternating two pattern shots, in you checkerboard black and white.
I hope you' ll understand what try to explain..
Erica, Malden,The Netherlands

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPad

Op 8 dec. 2016 om 14:40 heeft Pat Brown knitspinweave@... [WeaveTech] <WeaveTech@...> het volgende geschreven:

On Thursday, December 8, 2016 4:49 AM, "Erica de Ruiter ederuiter@... [WeaveTech]" <WeaveTech@...> wrote:

Taqueté will produce a real black and white checkerboard, requiring ony 4 shafts.

Erica

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPad

Op 7 dec. 2016 om 22:18 heeft weaveworks2003@... [WeaveTech] <WeaveTech@...> het volgende geschreven:

Hi,

Is there an easy way to thread up and tie up to weave a distinct black and white checkerboard?  I have an 8 shaft loom.  Well, I have 4 shaft looms, too, but I think it would work better on an 8 shaft loom.

Lynne in Maine

Sara von Tresckow

If the purpose of the project is really to create a checkerboard, rep will give the fabric stability to be used as a game board.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@...
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning needs

bonnieinouye@...

You can weave a checkerboard on 4 shafts using turned taquete. See the draft in handweaving.net, number 61535
To see the squares clearly, sett your warp midway between a twill sett and a double weave sett (twice plain weave) as recommended in sett charts. Then use a finer yarn for weft. Usually there are more ends per inch than picks, which makes the weaving go quickly. Instead of counting picks, measure the cloth to be sure you have squares. Weave a sample and wash it to be sure of the dimensions of the finished piece.

Bonnie Inouye

Barbara Scott

Thank you for this information. I have been trying, with limited success, to find information on the sett for taquete.  You have now given me a starting place on which I can build.

Barbara S.
Guelph, Canada