guilds & the internet

Louise K

Would like to hear how various guilds are using the internet?
We have a website (triangleweavers.org) and get a lot of inquiries from it.
Our president currently responds to those, but we were wondering how other guilds are using the internet?
Louise

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. Will Rogers
You don't throw a whole life away just 'cause it's banged up a little." SeaBiscuit, 2003

Deanna Johnson <djmacj@...>

Would like to hear how various guilds are using the internet?

Our guild has a web site, plus a google group which is used to send out announcements. (Only board members can post to the group, so it's not used for general discussions, and members don't have to worry about being inundated with emails.) We also recently started sending out our newsletter to the google group as a pdf file (with hardcopies mailed to the very few people who don't have email access.)

Deanna

Doreen McLaughlin

The Pikes Peak Weavers Guild http://pikespeakweavers.org web
site has links to the Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum Coverlet collection,
back issues of the PPWG newsletter, information on workshops and monthly
programs, the WeaveDesign program created by Bengt Nelson, and journal
articles by members. We have a web master who is a member of the guild, and
each of the officers can have an e-mail box through the guild web site. The
front range is blessed with 5 weaving guilds: Pueblo, PPWG (Colorado Springs
area), Rocky Mountain (Denver), Boulder, and Northern Colorado (Fort Collins
area). Although we exchange printed newsletters, many members of other
guilds like to check on line for information on programs sponsored by sister
guilds. Newcomers and visitors to the area can also find out about our guild
and are welcome to attend our meetings.

Guild members should occasionally check the web site and report
any problems to the web master. In our case, as soon as I post this I'm
going to be letting our web master know that the map to our meeting site
needs to be changed, and the information on our September workshop needs to
be taken down and data on our upcoming spring spinning workshop with Celia
Quinn needs to be put up.

Doreen

PPWG newsletter editor

RBlau <ruthblau@...>

Our guild has a website:

http://www.potomaccraftsmenguild.org/

(Note: we have changed our name to Potomac Fiber Arts Guild, but the old name is still the website URL.)

Here's a list of what we have on the website:

Monthly meetings
mini-workshops & workshops
info about our Yahoo e-list (open to all members)
our full library catalog
our newsletter
a list of the equipment we have available for rent
info about our biennial grant program
and more

Last year, the newsletter was both on the website and mailed. I think this year, you can opt out of the mailed version and simply read it online. I'm so much in favor of this: it saves the guild money for printing & mailing, and it enviro friendly.

Ruth

www.blueloomdesigns.com

Sara von Tresckow <sarav@...>

I belong to more than one group that put out PDF newsletters. It is quite nice - you can store them in a directory for future reference and print out just the page or two you may need to hang on the calendar or refrigerator for dates and times.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@powercom.net

http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/xabck
Looms, vendors at Wisconsin Spin In

Josephine R L Earl <WeaverJo@...>

Our guild has a website, http://wncfhg.org/ at which we post our newsletters in pdf format, information about the Blue Ridge Fiber Show (which we sponsor), information about meetings (including maps and directions), workshops, our study groups, and a list of the officers. In addition, we have links to other guild websites, our library listing, and several pages of utilities, including a reed substitution chart and a warp and weft calculation worksheet.

--

Regards,

Josephine R L Earl

Western North Carolina Fibers/Handweavers Guild
http://www.wncfhg.org/

Josephine R L Earl <WeaverJo@...>

Complex Weavers has a large website
http://www.complex-weavers.org/index.htm which includes information
about our Seminars, study groups, CW awards, color pictures from journal
articles, and more.

On 11/11/2009 10:02 AM, Louise Koslofsky wrote:
Would like to hear how various guilds are using the internet?
--

Regards,

Jo/Josephine Earl/JoOwl

Website Chair http://www.complex-weavers.org/
<http://www.complex-weavers.org/index.htm>

Sue Bye

The Weavers Guild of Minnesota has an extensive web site, http://www.weaversguildmn.org/ and has a presence on Weavolution, Ravelry, and facebook. Our office manager keeps us current.

This past summer we started distributing our monthly newsletter via email because of the changes in bulk mail regulations and rising cost of postage. Members can still receive a printed newsletter, but they pay $20.00 extra a year to cover the cost.

Susan Rubendall

Deanna wrote:
<We also recently started sending out our newsletter to the google
group as a pdf file (with hardcopies mailed to the very few people who
don't have email access.)>

Our spinners' guild e-mails a link to our pdf newsletter; our weavers'
guild sends the pdf as an attachment. My husband and I publish
newsletters for two nonprofits. They save a lot of money because we
have encouraged (harassed?) members into accepting electronic
newsletters.

If given the option, I would always choose a pdf over a piece of
paper, but not everyone can make that choice or wants too.

Susan

Sara von Tresckow <sarav@...>

Increasingly, there is free public access to the internet in public libraries. The last time I traveled, the hotel's connection was broken and I had really good luck finding WIFI as well as public access computers.
No, you don't want to use them for banking, but today, ever member of a guild within distance of a library can go there and look up that newsletter, possibly even print all or part of it on the library printers for a small fee.

Sara von Tresckow
The Woolgatherers, Fond du Lac, WI
Visit Us Here: http://www.woolgatherers.com

CarolL

I belong to both weaving/knitting/spinning guilds both in state and several out of state.
The majority do electronic newsletters, and then keep a file of them in the yahoo group for members.
Those are the larger guilds.
The smaller ones, some still send out newsletters although to me its a waste of postage and paper and I prefer electronic myself.
Save the guild money for other things like bringing it excellent instructors/speakers what have you.
Some have yahoo groups, and I appreciate that as I get a faster turn around if I have a question about something or wish to confirm an event.
Some have the talent and skill of a member to manage a formal website such as Weaver's Guild in Kalamazoo...where the bylaws, sale guidelines, past year newsletters, etc are all maintained. I love it. Lots of initial set up work...but a great model for a guild considering it.
Carol
River's Edge Weaving Studio
www.weavingstudio.com
www.weavingstudio.blogspot.com

Elisa Eiger

--- In WeaveTech@yahoogroups.com, "Louise Koslofsky" <lkoslofsky@...> wrote:

Would like to hear how various guilds are using the internet?
The MidAtlantic Fiber Association (MAFA) creates and hosts free webpages for member guilds. My guild's webpage is located at: http://www.mafafiber.org/palisades/index.html

MAFA guilds happen to be very lucky because MAFA has a phenomenal webmaster who takes his job very seriously (despite being a volunteer with a real job, family, and other volunteer commitments). He also has donated the space on his server. We can't possibly express how much we love and appreciate him!

Our president currently responds to [inquiries]
I'm the several-years-out-of-office guild president, but remain in change of our guild's web presence and Yahoogroup. I strongly recommend that you appoint and train a backup person for the times when the main person gets busy. My guild currently has an issue with email not being answered or the website not being updated because, well, it gets done when I get around to it. Which isn't nearly as often as it ought to be.

Bottom line: treasure your volunteers...and if you think there's something that could be done better in your guild (website, programs, workshops, newsletter, etc.), offer to help. We all need all the help we can get! :-)

--Elisa

Marg Coe <margcoe@...>

This email applies to those guilds which have 501 (c) 3 tax exempt status.

In reading a lot of the responses, it appears a majority of some Guilds'
benefits are directed to "members" both on and off the Internet.

It must be time to pull out the soap box and remind such Guilds that
they are supposed to be catering to the public not the private good.
That is, the waiving of taxes for 501 (c) 3 charitable organizations is
to benefit the taxpaying public. The majority of such organizations'
activities should be for and accessible by the general public.

There are other types of non-profits. Perhaps a 501 (c) 6 (an
association of persons having some common business interest); or a 501
(c) 7 (Social Club), would be more appropriate for guilds who want to
cater to a membership base. Admittedly, not all the various non-profit
statuses receive the same benefits, donations to some are not
necessarily tax deductible by the donor, and many granting organizations
have funds for charitable but not other non-profit organizations.
However, if a guild wishes to keep the bulk of their activities for the
benefit of members (i.e., private good) good then they are not charities
and it's time to rethink their status.

Marg

Marg Coe, Tucson, AZ, USA
http://www.coeproduced.com fiber arts
http://www.thewiredones.com web & graphic design
http://blog.margaretcoe.com

joydidit <jcain@...>

We have a website: Http://www.cowg.org. In it, we have a members-only section that contains our newsletter (in PDF file format). We have just (this week) started a Facebook page and plan on entering into other social media. In addition, we have a list-serv which is one of our vehicles for sending out updates.

I like the idea of having a yahoo group; however, many of our members are very conservative when it comes to any place that they have to enter their personal information. I learned while running another group to moderate the first few posts from a new member, otherwise some spam can leech in!

Joy Cain, Central Ohio Weavers Guild