warpwise cannele?

RBlau <ruthblau@...>

In our discussion of spider weaves/cannele, someone mentioned warpwise zigzagging floats, and Su Butler (I think it was) said she had a scarf woven by another weaver in this manner.

I've been thinking about this for a couple of days now, and all I can come up w/ is that it would have to be some kind of supplementary warp, and I still don't see how you would get it to zig and zag. In weftwise cannele, it's the placement of the warp floats (which act as ties) that creates the zigging & zagging. How would you do this with a supplementary warp?

Ruth

Erica de Ruiter <ederuiter@...>

Dear Ruth,
I am thinking of turning the drawdown - and the weaving structure - i.e. warp gets weft and weft gets warp. And the tieup must be reversed (rising gets sinking and sinking gets rising)
Maybe the weft threads that float in the original structure have to be supplementary warp ends.
I' d try this out theoratically in a weaving program by selecting and cutting the threading and pasting it in the weft, and selecting and cutting the treadling and pasting it in the warp area.
I hope this makes sense what I am trying to explain.
Erica

RBlau <ruthblau@...>

Erica wrote

I am thinking of turning the drawdown [etc]
Since Laura says there's a draft in her book, there obviously is a way to do this. But a direct turning of Alderman's draft probably won't work. I did try turning this draft in a computer drafting program, and it seems to me that in the turned version, the wefts would not pull the supplementary warps into a zig zag pattern.

In the weftwise version, the pattern depends on warps threads that tie the pattern weft first in one location and then in a different location. You'd have to create this effect with weft threads in a turned version, but I don't think Alderman's draft, simply turned, would do that. Also, you'd have to weight your supp warp threads lightly enough so that the distortion can take place.

An interesting line of pursuit.

Ruth

Su Butler <subu@...>

Hi Ruth.....well 'twas not me that said I had a scarf and I do not remember
who said they did, but I used to incorporate Cannele in my production
clothing line......however, to get warp-wise zig-zag stripes, which by
appearances it seemed I used, I wove the fabric with weft-wise stripes and
turned it 90 degrees to create what seemed to be a warp-wise stripe in the
finished fabric for blouses. For the coordinating skirts I sold with the
blouses, I put the stripe around the bottom of the skirt.......weft-wise,
and did not turn the fabric prior to construction.

I do know of a weaver, from way back, who would weave fabric with
strategically placed warp floats who would then stitch in the novelty yarn
in the warp direction after the fabric was off the loom and achieve the
zig-zag. It ended up looking like it was woven that way......<g>

Su Butler :-) www.subudesigns.com
Author UNDERSTANDING RAYON CHENILLE
"I will take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day." -
Douglas Adams

Erica de Ruiter <ederuiter@...>

Unfortunately I am gathering my luggage for a long teaching trip to New Zealand, otherwise I would have put up a sampler warp. I must admit I do not have the actual pattern from Sharon's book (will have to buy the book at MAFA.....) but when I studied at art school we had similar weaves to try out. Could somebody send me the drawdown(threading and treadling) of this 'puzzle'?
Erica

Erica wrote

I am thinking of turning the drawdown [etc]

Eunice Smith

Ruth:

On page 170 in Oelsner Dale there are several examples of deflected threads, both warp and weft.
There are a great many weaves here. I've done quite a few myself.

Eunice Smith