warp lint

ten_lake <twillothewisp@...>

I'm a new member, have been weaving for a few years but still
consider myself a relative novice. I'm having a warping problem that
I've never seen addressed.
The first part of the warp winds on pretty well. Then, the warp ends
get stuck at the cross where the lease sticks are. When I check,
lint from the threads has formed these little snarls that have the
warp all stuck. It's annoying and time-consuming to pick it all out
and it really messes up the tension.
I'm warping back to front to try to minimize the movement of the warp
but it still happens. I have been using mostly unmercerized cotton as
warp.
Can anyone suggest a remedy?

Laura Fry <laurafry@...>

By 8/2 cotton, I'm assuming you are referring to yarn purchased
in the US?

8/2 cotton from Canada has a higher twist than US 8/2 (generally
speaking). It is not as high twist as cotton rug warp, but
in between. I find that using Canadian (or Swedish) 8/2 cotton
there is very little pilling.

Cheers,

Laura Fry
http://laurafry.com

Robin Lynde <rlynde@...>

Then, the warp ends
get stuck at the cross where the lease sticks are. When I check,
lint from the threads has formed these little snarls that have the
warp all stuck.
I don't keep the lease sticks in. Then I never have those kinds of problems.
Wind the warp with 2 crosses--a raddle cross and a threading cross. Use the
raddle cross (threads grouped per # in an inch--or whatever your raddle
spacing is) to spread threads in the raddle at the warp beam. After it is
secure in the raddle, remove the lease sticks and put them back in at the
threading cross.
Robin Lynde
Meridian Road Studio and Meridian Jacobs
Vacaville, CA

peter collingwood <peter@...>

I wonder if the warp-lint sufferer has her lease rods tied to each
other, so that they have to be moved back as a unit? I have always been
told (and followed this rule) to tie each stick to itself with a long
cord going from one end to the other. Then they can be moved back
separately, minimising any tangles, snarls, between them especially with
wool.
Keep them in the back position with two loops of cord tied to back beam,
which go round both of them.
peter collingwood,
http://www.petercollingwood.co.uk