Friction Brakes

Bill Koepp <bgkoe@...>

The ropes are not actually wound on the brake drums, but directly on the
warp beam--it's not sectional. It has received a couple coats of
furniture oil, but that's it, and nothing recently.
I'd suspect that the oil has done it. I'd remove the ropes, wash them and
the braking area with soap & water. Try to keep any oils, waxes, grease and
silicones out of the brakes, the ropes and the area that the ropes touch. If
you wash the ropes, weight them and hang to dry.
If the oil continues to wick up to the surface you may have to put a leather
or cotton strap around the beam to act as a brake drum surface, until the
oil is subdued.
Hope this gives you some ideas !

-- Happy Shuttling ! Bill Koepp in Central California

Holly <holly@...>

Bill writes:

<<Try to keep any oils, waxes, grease and
silicones out of the brakes, the ropes and the area that the ropes
touch.>>

Well, but :) When I first started using this braking system, the loom
was only a year or so old and had been oiled as part of the finishing
(Harrisville kit). No problems back then, or when it was last oiled,
years ago now. Only problems are recently.

Holly

Bill Koepp <bgkoe@...>

the loom
was only a year or so old and had been oiled as part of the finishing
(Harrisville kit). No problems back then, or when it was last oiled,
years ago now. Only problems are recently.
Hmmm.... Still, it won't hurt to wash the ropes and the beam area where they
touch; something has changed or been added to the brake. It may be that the
ropes are shot, in which case that's easy to replace. Difficult to talk
about without seeing the loom itself. Usually a brake problem is a result of
re-assembling the parts wrong but in your case that's not the reason
obviously.

-- Happy Shuttling ! Bill Koepp in Central California

Michael Davis <mdavis@...>

This could be due to the ropes polishing the shaft over time. Take
Bill's suggestion and sand the shaft with 80-100 grit sandpaper to
roughen the wood which will then have sufficient friction to hold back
the warp.

Mike Davis

Message: 19
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 15:00:25 -0000
From: willgee@mindspring.com
Subject: rope brakes

Hi... the only thing I've ever seen applied to rope brakes that made
any sense was powdered rosin...the stuff that keeps gymnasts and
ballerinas from slipping on the wooden floor. glen
Well, but :) When I first started using this braking system, the loom
was only a year or so old and had been oiled as part of the finishing
(Harrisville kit). No problems back then, or when it was last oiled,
years ago now. Only problems are recently.
Only problems are recently.

something has changed