Topics

42" warp separator


jane@...
 

I'm awaiting delivery of a new loom with a 43" warp width. My old loom's warp width was 36", so it was easy to find paper wide enough to use winding on the warp. The only paper I've found with a width close to the new loom's  is inkjet paper that comes on 42" wide rolls. This paper would be lighter weight than brown kraft paper, so I'm hesitant to buy some.

I'm wondering what separators others use for >36" wide warps.

Thanks in advance,
Jane


Lorelei Caracausa
 

Since I never attempt to put in just one long length of paper, but multiple shorter pieces in succession,  I use painter's heavy kraft paper from the big box store (Lowes or Home Despot) and cut them to width, then put them in "sideways", when I am working on a standard beam


On Sat, Sep 19, 2020, 8:33 AM <jane@...> wrote:
I'm awaiting delivery of a new loom with a 43" warp width. My old loom's warp width was 36", so it was easy to find paper wide enough to use winding on the warp. The only paper I've found with a width close to the new loom's  is inkjet paper that comes on 42" wide rolls. This paper would be lighter weight than brown kraft paper, so I'm hesitant to buy some.

I'm wondering what separators others use for >36" wide warps.

Thanks in advance,
Jane


Subu
 

HI Jane….I use hardwood packing sticks.  They support the warp on the beam the same for the entire width of the loom.  You can purchase sticks specifically for this purpose or make your own from well sanded door stop strips cut to the length you want.  I have also used old wooden yardsticks on warps narrower than 36”.  

 

Best,

Su Butler 😊

 

I'm awaiting delivery of a new loom with a 43" warp width. My old loom's warp width was 36", so it was easy to find paper wide enough to use winding on the warp. The only paper I've found with a width close to the new loom's  is inkjet paper that comes on 42" wide rolls. This paper would be lighter weight than brown kraft paper, so I'm hesitant to buy some.

I'm wondering what separators others use for >36" wide warps.

Thanks in advance,
Jane

_._,_._,_


Virus-free. www.avast.com


sklarek2
 


What we do at RISD is cut strips horizontally at the desired width......so on a 36" roll, you would have strips that are 36" long and cut to whatever width you need.  This is actually better than a very long piece as you can more easily prevent it from winding on crooked. Each time you insert a new 36" length you can make any adjustments needed.

ALSO, I saw that both Staples and PaperMart advertise 48" wide rolls of Brown Kraft Paper on their websites - not sure about the weight.

Best,
Susan Sklarek, Textile Department, RI School of Design




On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 9:52 AM Subu <subu@...> wrote:

HI Jane….I use hardwood packing sticks.  They support the warp on the beam the same for the entire width of the loom.  You can purchase sticks specifically for this purpose or make your own from well sanded door stop strips cut to the length you want.  I have also used old wooden yardsticks on warps narrower than 36”.  

 

Best,

Su Butler 😊

 

I'm awaiting delivery of a new loom with a 43" warp width. My old loom's warp width was 36", so it was easy to find paper wide enough to use winding on the warp. The only paper I've found with a width close to the new loom's  is inkjet paper that comes on 42" wide rolls. This paper would be lighter weight than brown kraft paper, so I'm hesitant to buy some.

I'm wondering what separators others use for >36" wide warps.

Thanks in advance,
Jane



--
Susan Sklarek

Senior Critic
Textile Department
Rhode Island School of Design
2 College St., Providence, RI 02903


Cell: 401-487-1459



Sara von Tresckow
 

Warp sticks are preferable to rolls of paper on wide or long warps - they
are inserted singly, support the warp well, and don't go off track as paper
does.
As Su said - you can purchase sticks made as warp sticks (the Swedish ones
are quarter sawn and hold up beautifully) or you can use any narrow strips
you can find or have made to fit your loom.
Flexible "sticks" like thin blind slats are not recommended as they bend and
can distort your warp.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@...
Author of “When a Single Harness Simply Isn’t Enough”
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs


Gay McGeary
 

I use 48" wide corrugated cardboard for my coverlet warps. It really works
well with the fine cotton.

Gay
Coverletweaver.com

-----Original Message-----
From: weavetech@groups.io <weavetech@groups.io> On Behalf Of Sara von
Tresckow
Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2020 10:23 AM
To: weavetech@groups.io
Subject: Re: [weavetech] 42" warp separator

Warp sticks are preferable to rolls of paper on wide or long warps - they
are inserted singly, support the warp well, and don't go off track as paper
does.
As Su said - you can purchase sticks made as warp sticks (the Swedish ones
are quarter sawn and hold up beautifully) or you can use any narrow strips
you can find or have made to fit your loom.
Flexible "sticks" like thin blind slats are not recommended as they bend and
can distort your warp.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@...
Author of “When a Single Harness Simply Isn’t Enough”
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs


Ann Barry
 

My favorite separator is oak tag paper. I get the tightest warps with it and
it is sturdy enough that I can easily periodically pull it tight on from
the back of the loom. It also goes on straighter than kraft paper. I use it
lengths of about a yard.

Ann Barry

-----Original Message-----
From: weavetech@groups.io <weavetech@groups.io> On Behalf Of Gay McGeary
Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2020 10:47 AM
To: weavetech@groups.io
Subject: Re: [weavetech] 42" warp separator

I use 48" wide corrugated cardboard for my coverlet warps. It really works
well with the fine cotton.

Gay
Coverletweaver.com


-----Original Message-----
From: weavetech@groups.io <weavetech@groups.io> On Behalf Of Sara von
Tresckow
Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2020 10:23 AM
To: weavetech@groups.io
Subject: Re: [weavetech] 42" warp separator

Warp sticks are preferable to rolls of paper on wide or long warps - they
are inserted singly, support the warp well, and don't go off track as paper
does.
As Su said - you can purchase sticks made as warp sticks (the Swedish ones
are quarter sawn and hold up beautifully) or you can use any narrow strips
you can find or have made to fit your loom.
Flexible "sticks" like thin blind slats are not recommended as they bend and
can distort your warp.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@...
Author of “When a Single Harness Simply Isn’t Enough”
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs


Alaire Rieffel
 

Then there are slats of old Venetian blinds. 

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 9:33 AM <jane@...> wrote:
I'm awaiting delivery of a new loom with a 43" warp width. My old loom's warp width was 36", so it was easy to find paper wide enough to use winding on the warp. The only paper I've found with a width close to the new loom's  is inkjet paper that comes on 42" wide rolls. This paper would be lighter weight than brown kraft paper, so I'm hesitant to buy some.

I'm wondering what separators others use for >36" wide warps.

Thanks in advance,
Jane









--
Alaire Rieffel


jane@...
 

Thanks everyone. For some reason, turning paper sideways had not occurred to me. I'll also give warp sticks another look. I'm not seeing 43"/110cm warp sticks available online in the USA. though I made 36" warp sticks myself with help from Home Depot.


Elizabeth Moncrief
 

I think that the longer the warp, the more important the sticks are.  Paper will collapse on the edges with a tensioned warp and especially with a long warp.  I have put on 20 yards with sticks with no issues. 

Liz Moncrief,    www.aweaversway.com
Instagram address: moncriefliz
 


On Sep 19, 2020, at 7:22 AM, sklarek2 <ssklarek@...> wrote:



What we do at RISD is cut strips horizontally at the desired width......so on a 36" roll, you would have strips that are 36" long and cut to whatever width you need.  This is actually better than a very long piece as you can more easily prevent it from winding on crooked. Each time you insert a new 36" length you can make any adjustments needed.

ALSO, I saw that both Staples and PaperMart advertise 48" wide rolls of Brown Kraft Paper on their websites - not sure about the weight.

Best,
Susan Sklarek, Textile Department, RI School of Design




On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 9:52 AM Subu <subu@...> wrote:

HI Jane….I use hardwood packing sticks.  They support the warp on the beam the same for the entire width of the loom.  You can purchase sticks specifically for this purpose or make your own from well sanded door stop strips cut to the length you want.  I have also used old wooden yardsticks on warps narrower than 36”.  

 

Best,

Su Butler 😊

 

I'm awaiting delivery of a new loom with a 43" warp width. My old loom's warp width was 36", so it was easy to find paper wide enough to use winding on the warp. The only paper I've found with a width close to the new loom's  is inkjet paper that comes on 42" wide rolls. This paper would be lighter weight than brown kraft paper, so I'm hesitant to buy some.

I'm wondering what separators others use for >36" wide warps.

Thanks in advance,
Jane



--
Susan Sklarek

Senior Critic
Textile Department
Rhode Island School of Design
2 College St., Providence, RI 02903


Cell: 401-487-1459



jody Williams
 

Bob Allen, who now makes Gilmore looms, recommended venetian blind slats to me.  I tried them and they worked well.

Jody Williams

On Sep 19, 2020, at 8:52 AM, Elizabeth Moncrief via groups.io <l.moncrief@...> wrote:

I think that the longer the warp, the more important the sticks are.  Paper will collapse on the edges with a tensioned warp and especially with a long warp.  I have put on 20 yards with sticks with no issues. 

Liz Moncrief,    www.aweaversway.com
Instagram address: moncriefliz
 


On Sep 19, 2020, at 7:22 AM, sklarek2 <ssklarek@...> wrote:



What we do at RISD is cut strips horizontally at the desired width......so on a 36" roll, you would have strips that are 36" long and cut to whatever width you need.  This is actually better than a very long piece as you can more easily prevent it from winding on crooked. Each time you insert a new 36" length you can make any adjustments needed.

ALSO, I saw that both Staples and PaperMart advertise 48" wide rolls of Brown Kraft Paper on their websites - not sure about the weight.

Best,
Susan Sklarek, Textile Department, RI School of Design




On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 9:52 AM Subu <subu@...> wrote:

HI Jane….I use hardwood packing sticks.  They support the warp on the beam the same for the entire width of the loom.  You can purchase sticks specifically for this purpose or make your own from well sanded door stop strips cut to the length you want.  I have also used old wooden yardsticks on warps narrower than 36”.  

 

Best,

Su Butler 😊

 

I'm awaiting delivery of a new loom with a 43" warp width. My old loom's warp width was 36", so it was easy to find paper wide enough to use winding on the warp. The only paper I've found with a width close to the new loom's  is inkjet paper that comes on 42" wide rolls. This paper would be lighter weight than brown kraft paper, so I'm hesitant to buy some.

I'm wondering what separators others use for >36" wide warps.

Thanks in advance,
Jane






--
Susan Sklarek

Senior Critic
Textile Department
Rhode Island School of Design
2 College St., Providence, RI 02903


Cell: 401-487-1459




Sara von Tresckow
 

While it will make some scrap, you could get some 120cm warping sticks and,
while still taped together, cut them to the right length.

Sara von Tresckow, Fond du Lac, WI
sarav@...
Author of “When a Single Harness Simply Isn’t Enough”
http://www.woolgatherers.com Dutch Master Loom/Spinning Chairs/Öxabäck
Looms, visit us in Fond du Lac or contact us about your weaving/spinning
needs


Deb Mc
 

Surprisingly enough, I found a life supply of warp sticks from an old bed we were tossing. For support it had webbing under the mattress filled with sticks. I’d prefer them to be 1/2 inch but at 1 inch they work just fine after sanding. Wander thru your local hardware store and look at their molding, plaster lathes and wood for garden lattices. With sand paper and a saw you are in business.


Lynn Ruggles
 

Eugene Textile Center sells long warping sticks for the Glimakra looms (they will work with any loom). I have some that are 46” long. Eugene will cut them to your specified length for an extra $5.

Lynn


Nancy Warren
 

I have large rolls of corrugated cardboard. It was purchased at a moving supply company where they sold moving boxes and rolls of paper and card board.
HTH
Nancy Warren


margcoe
 

I prefer window screening. It’s inexpensive, widely available, and comes in a wide range of sizes.

Marg

Sent from iDevice
coeweaves.com
e-weave-online.thinkific.com


bigwhitesofadog
 

Most lumber yards carry screen moulding in 8-20 foot lengths.  It's smooth, strong, straight cheap, and easy to cut to size.  I often use paper and sticks to get a long warp on a small beam without a large diameter, and tightly.
Sandra


Mimi Anderson
 

Architect’s print outs are nice too.
Mimi

Mimi Anderson





On Sep 19, 2020, at 12:41 PM, bigwhitesofadog <sandra.eberhart@...> wrote:

Most lumber yards carry screen moulding in 8-20 foot lengths.  It's smooth, strong, straight cheap, and easy to cut to size.  I often use paper and sticks to get a long warp on a small beam without a large diameter, and tightly.
Sandra


Linda Adamson
 

Love these sticks and they last forever. Another tool well worth the price!
Linda Adamson.

On Sep 19, 2020, at 1:20 PM, Lynn Ruggles via groups.io <espinphd=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Eugene Textile Center sells long warping sticks for the Glimakra looms (they will work with any loom). I have some that are 46” long. Eugene will cut them to your specified length for an extra $5.

Lynn





Pat
 

Although I liked the sticks,  I have found that I much prefer bamboo mats.  I've found mine (36" wide) at thrift stores, however I can tell you a few pointers:
 - You want the bamboo to be flat and about 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide and smooth
 - You want the "warp" connecting them to be quite fine
 - A backing is ok
 - Remove the edging if there is one
 - The expensive plastic bamboo looking blinds don't work as well, they bend/crush under tension
 - I've cut all of mine into 12 inch long sections for ease of use

One of my friends just found some wider ones that look good on line at Tropical Matting

I have not tried them, nor will I since I'm already set with what I need.  Hope this helps.

Pat Brown 



On Sunday, September 20, 2020, 09:09:04 AM EDT, Linda Adamson <adamson.l@...> wrote:


Love these sticks and they last forever. Another tool well worth the price!
Linda Adamson.
> On Sep 19, 2020, at 1:20 PM, Lynn Ruggles via groups.io <espinphd=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> Eugene Textile Center sells long warping sticks for the Glimakra looms (they will work with any loom). I have some that are 46” long. Eugene will cut them to your specified length for an extra $5.
>
> Lynn
>
>
>
>
>