42/2 Ramie

Inga Marie Carmel

Hi all

I have some 42/2 ramie, that came to me via a guild donation. The note with it says  that it’s comparable to 40/2 linen, from Robert and Russ, is 6400 ypp, and has a recommended sett of 30-40 epi. I’ve used it as weft, and it doesn’t appear damaged. The person it came from took good care of his yarns, and did a lot of very fine (in both senses) weaving.

It wove beautifully as weft. I used 16 line linen for warp, sett at 30 epi. It’s wonderfully springy, woven in a kind of cross between crepe and  twill.  My question is.. having never put ramie in a warp  before… will it behave like linen (which I’ve woven a lot of), are there any caveats or things I should know?

marie

Inga Marie Carmel
Instagram @ingamarie
An interesting plainness is the most difficult and precious thing to achieve -  Mies van der Rohe

Debbie Kaplan

Hi Marie,

Ramie is a bast fiber, like linen, as you probably already know. As such it will behave similarly to linen. I've used ramie as warp with no problems. I almost always size linen warp. I did not find that necessary with the quality of ramie used, which was probably a 30/2 or so.

The question for this yarn in particular is probably much more about how it was spun and processed. So some general rules that, again, you probably already know: Some dyes, particularly dark shades, will cause weakening of the fibers, just sitting on the shelf over a period of years. If you try to snap a length of it between your hands, does it break easily? Does it have a comparable twist to a linen of similar size?  Does it abrade easily? You could rub it back and forth over the edge of a butter knife to test or rub one length against another.

Good luck!
Debbie Kaplan

Inga Marie Carmel

Thanks. I love the butter knife test. This is unbleached I think, at least it’s off white. I’ll check the twist. Appreciate the advice.

marie

Inga Marie Carmel