Date   

Re: Texsolv heddles on Leclerc Colonial

Ian Bowers
 

The reason for that terminology is to differentiate from the Louet David, which is a sinking shed, jack loom:

 

https://www.louet.com/david/

 

Best regards

 

Ian Bowers (Dr)

Managing Director

 

www.georgeweil.com

GEORGE WEIL & SONS LTD, Old Portsmouth Road, Peasmarsh, Guildford, Surrey, GU3 1LZ

tel: 0 (+44) 1483 565800
fax: 0 (+44) 1483 565807

George Weil & Sons is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
Registered number 00321890. Registered office: Peasmarsh, Guildford, GU3 1LZ 

Follow George Weil: visit Twitter.comvisit Facebook.comsee our Blog
__________________________________________________________

If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the message

 

From: weavetech@groups.io <weavetech@groups.io> On Behalf Of kathyo via Groups.Io
Sent: 01 March 2020 17:25
To: weavetech@groups.io
Subject: Re: [weavetech] Texsolv heddles on Leclerc Colonial

 

Both of my looms have Texsolv heddles.

 

My 36” 4-shaft Schacht Standard is a rising shed jack. Shafts are Pushed up from below with scissor jacks...

 

My 24” 8-shaft Ashford table loom is also a jack. Shafts are Pulled up from above using either levers or the adapted treadles that come with the stand.

 

Is not “rising shed” what is meant by ‘jack’ loom?

kathyo


On Mar 1, 2020, at 10:30 AM, Ian Bowers 

My understanding is that Texsolve will work well on all formats of looms, with one exception, rising Jack looms.

 


Re: Texsolv heddles on Leclerc Colonial

kathyo
 

Both of my looms have Texsolv heddles.

My 36” 4-shaft Schacht Standard is a rising shed jack. Shafts are Pushed up from below with scissor jacks...

My 24” 8-shaft Ashford table loom is also a jack. Shafts are Pulled up from above using either levers or the adapted treadles that come with the stand.

Is not “rising shed” what is meant by ‘jack’ loom?

kathyo

On Mar 1, 2020, at 10:30 AM, Ian Bowers 

My understanding is that Texsolve will work well on all formats of looms, with one exception, rising Jack looms.

 


Re: Texsolv heddles on Leclerc Colonial

Ian Bowers
 

My understanding is that Texsolve will work well on all formats of looms, with one exception, rising Jack looms.

 

These jack looms hold the warp down on to the shuttle track at rest, and raises the appropriate warps to create the shed.  Metal heddles are used on these looms to give the weight to ensure the widest possible shed.  In some cases the heddle weight is not sufficient, particularly when most of the shafts are raised.  In these case the loom maker usually has springs available to add to the shaft to keep them down. 

 

Best regards

 

Ian Bowers (Dr)

Managing Director

 

www.georgeweil.com

GEORGE WEIL & SONS LTD, Old Portsmouth Road, Peasmarsh, Guildford, Surrey, GU3 1LZ

tel: 0 (+44) 1483 565800
fax: 0 (+44) 1483 565807

George Weil & Sons is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
Registered number 00321890. Registered office: Peasmarsh, Guildford, GU3 1LZ 

Follow George Weil: visit Twitter.comvisit Facebook.comsee our Blog
__________________________________________________________

If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the message

 

From: weavetech@groups.io <weavetech@groups.io> On Behalf Of Sherri Coffey via Groups.Io
Sent: 01 March 2020 15:49
To: weavetech@groups.io
Subject: Re: [weavetech] Texsolv heddles on Leclerc Colonial

 

Here’s an article by Syne Mitchell about using Texsolv on her Baby Wolf. Evidently, it was successful. 

http://www.synemitchell.com/2009/07/10/texsolv-heddles-on-a-schacht-baby-wolf/

On Sunday, March 1, 2020, Elizabeth Moncrief via Groups.Io <l.moncrief=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

The texsolv can work on larger looms with heavier shaft frames. It’s not successful on smaller looms or even large looms with lightweight frames as the frame will tend to creep up when tension is applied to the warp.
Rising shed jack looms are designed to account for that weight.   I would bet that there is some rule in the industry that dictates how much variance one can work with given the weight of the frame.

Sent from Liz Moncrief,    www.aweaversway.com



> On Feb 29, 2020, at 10:03 PM, kathyo <kathyanneolson@...> wrote:
>
> I put texsolv on my schacht 36” standard and it’s great ...
> I did it for the noise factor... it’s much more quiet now... also light treading for a jack of this type...
>
> Takes a bit to get used to threading them... they don’t slide like metal heddles and are more flexible... but I like them....
> I don’t have any shaft or harness floating but if you do a small fishing weight most often cures it...
> kathyo
>
>> On Feb 29, 2020, at 11:52 PM, rhwench
>> Has anyone replaced metal heddles on a leclerc Colonial with texsolv?
>
>
>




--

Sherri

 

 


Re: Texsolv heddles on Leclerc Colonial

Sherri Coffey
 

Here’s an article by Syne Mitchell about using Texsolv on her Baby Wolf. Evidently, it was successful. 


On Sunday, March 1, 2020, Elizabeth Moncrief via Groups.Io <l.moncrief=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
The texsolv can work on larger looms with heavier shaft frames. It’s not successful on smaller looms or even large looms with lightweight frames as the frame will tend to creep up when tension is applied to the warp.
Rising shed jack looms are designed to account for that weight.   I would bet that there is some rule in the industry that dictates how much variance one can work with given the weight of the frame.

Sent from Liz Moncrief,    www.aweaversway.com



> On Feb 29, 2020, at 10:03 PM, kathyo <kathyanneolson@...> wrote:
>
> I put texsolv on my schacht 36” standard and it’s great ...
> I did it for the noise factor... it’s much more quiet now... also light treading for a jack of this type...
>
> Takes a bit to get used to threading them... they don’t slide like metal heddles and are more flexible... but I like them....
> I don’t have any shaft or harness floating but if you do a small fishing weight most often cures it...
> kathyo
>
>> On Feb 29, 2020, at 11:52 PM, rhwench
>> Has anyone replaced metal heddles on a leclerc Colonial with texsolv?
>
>
>





--
Sherri



Re: Texsolv heddles on Leclerc Colonial

Elizabeth Moncrief
 

The texsolv can work on larger looms with heavier shaft frames. It’s not successful on smaller looms or even large looms with lightweight frames as the frame will tend to creep up when tension is applied to the warp.
Rising shed jack looms are designed to account for that weight. I would bet that there is some rule in the industry that dictates how much variance one can work with given the weight of the frame.

Sent from Liz Moncrief, www.aweaversway.com

On Feb 29, 2020, at 10:03 PM, kathyo <kathyanneolson@...> wrote:

I put texsolv on my schacht 36” standard and it’s great ...
I did it for the noise factor... it’s much more quiet now... also light treading for a jack of this type...

Takes a bit to get used to threading them... they don’t slide like metal heddles and are more flexible... but I like them....
I don’t have any shaft or harness floating but if you do a small fishing weight most often cures it...
kathyo

On Feb 29, 2020, at 11:52 PM, rhwench
Has anyone replaced metal heddles on a leclerc Colonial with texsolv?


Re: Texsolv heddles on Leclerc Colonial

yellowdress_54 <yellowdress54@...>
 

I do not have a LeClerc Colonial but I do have a rising shed loom on which I replaced the metal heddles with Texsolv and experienced no problems with operation.  

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 11:52 PM rhwench <dtodhunt@...> wrote:
Has anyone replaced metal heddles on a leclerc Colonial with texsolv? I’m thinking about replacing mine and was hoping to hear from someone who had...was it successful, are you pleased/glad you did...or should I leave well enough alone?

Thanks!
Debbie


Re: Texsolv heddles on Leclerc Colonial

kathyo
 

I put texsolv on my schacht 36” standard and it’s great ...
I did it for the noise factor... it’s much more quiet now... also light treading for a jack of this type...

Takes a bit to get used to threading them... they don’t slide like metal heddles and are more flexible... but I like them....
I don’t have any shaft or harness floating but if you do a small fishing weight most often cures it...
kathyo

On Feb 29, 2020, at 11:52 PM, rhwench
Has anyone replaced metal heddles on a leclerc Colonial with texsolv?


Texsolv heddles on Leclerc Colonial

rhwench
 

Has anyone replaced metal heddles on a leclerc Colonial with texsolv? I’m thinking about replacing mine and was hoping to hear from someone who had...was it successful, are you pleased/glad you did...or should I leave well enough alone?

Thanks!
Debbie


Re: Marian Powell

Sigrid Piroch <jacquardweaver@...>
 

Hi Rebecca,

We just saw the message. Anytime in the afternoon is fine!

Talk then. :)

Sigrid at ARTS

On Feb 29, 2020, at 1:08 AM, Rebecca Winter <becwinter555@...> wrote:


Hello, I live in Idaho.  Shall I call you tomorrow?  What would be a good time for you?  Thank you, Rebecca 


Rebecca Winter  
HGA Master Weaver, 2004 & 2018
cell - (208) 859-2822     
email - becwinter555@... or
~~ “It is in the sharing that the secrets are kept.”  Nelson Zink ~~

On Feb 28, 2020, at 11:05 PM, Sigrid Piroch via Groups.Io <jacquardweaver@...> wrote:

Rebecca, Sigrid here with Deb. Where do you live? We are in western PA and I have studied Powell for over 30 years and have boxes of materials related to her. 

I have already written up her method of shadow weave with Mimi Smith of Rochester, NY and am happy to share all this all with you. I was up to publishing a booklet on her but am now nearly 80, so would require help to complete this project. 


Sigrid at ARTS
724-991-6834

On Feb 29, 2020, at 12:53 AM, Sigrid Piroch via Groups.Io <jacquardweaver@...> wrote:

Hi Rebecca,

This is Deb, Sigrid Piroch’s daughter. Mom can tell you lots about Powell, even did a study group or workshop or both based on her work. I just happen to be up late online but will be sure she sees this-she doesn’t check email every day. :) 

Sigrid at ARTS

On Feb 28, 2020, at 12:11 PM, Rebecca Winter <becwinter555@...> wrote:

Hi, Everyone, Do any of you have access to Pamphlets published by Marian Powell about Shadow Weave?  These are publications she sold with actual weaving samples for a dollar. I have one called:
Multi Harness Shadow Weave - Converted Form: Multi Harness and Four Harness Shadow Weave Pamphlets
There is no date, but I believe she most likely published these in the late 60's.  I would really love to see some others, as the name implies they exist or existed.  

Also, if anyone has further biographical information about her, that would be great.  What I know so far is she lived in Iowa (address on the Pamphlet), lived in Mexico (address on the samples borrowed from HGA). I have her articles from The Shuttle Craft Guild Bulletin, her article from Handweaver & Craftsman, and her book.  

Thank you for anything further you might have to offer.  May we avoid sliding into weaving obscurity.  Cheers, Rebecca

Rebecca Winter  
HGA Master Weaver, 2004 & 2018    
email - becwinter555@... or
email - becwinter@...
~~ “It is in the sharing that the secrets are kept.”  Nelson Zink ~~


Re: Marian Powell

Rebecca Winter
 

Hello, I live in Idaho.  Shall I call you tomorrow?  What would be a good time for you?  Thank you, Rebecca 


Rebecca Winter  
HGA Master Weaver, 2004 & 2018
cell - (208) 859-2822     
email - becwinter555@... or
~~ “It is in the sharing that the secrets are kept.”  Nelson Zink ~~

On Feb 28, 2020, at 11:05 PM, Sigrid Piroch via Groups.Io <jacquardweaver@...> wrote:

Rebecca, Sigrid here with Deb. Where do you live? We are in western PA and I have studied Powell for over 30 years and have boxes of materials related to her. 

I have already written up her method of shadow weave with Mimi Smith of Rochester, NY and am happy to share all this all with you. I was up to publishing a booklet on her but am now nearly 80, so would require help to complete this project. 


Sigrid at ARTS
724-991-6834

On Feb 29, 2020, at 12:53 AM, Sigrid Piroch via Groups.Io <jacquardweaver@...> wrote:

Hi Rebecca,

This is Deb, Sigrid Piroch’s daughter. Mom can tell you lots about Powell, even did a study group or workshop or both based on her work. I just happen to be up late online but will be sure she sees this-she doesn’t check email every day. :) 

Sigrid at ARTS

On Feb 28, 2020, at 12:11 PM, Rebecca Winter <becwinter555@...> wrote:

Hi, Everyone, Do any of you have access to Pamphlets published by Marian Powell about Shadow Weave?  These are publications she sold with actual weaving samples for a dollar. I have one called:
Multi Harness Shadow Weave - Converted Form: Multi Harness and Four Harness Shadow Weave Pamphlets
There is no date, but I believe she most likely published these in the late 60's.  I would really love to see some others, as the name implies they exist or existed.  

Also, if anyone has further biographical information about her, that would be great.  What I know so far is she lived in Iowa (address on the Pamphlet), lived in Mexico (address on the samples borrowed from HGA). I have her articles from The Shuttle Craft Guild Bulletin, her article from Handweaver & Craftsman, and her book.  

Thank you for anything further you might have to offer.  May we avoid sliding into weaving obscurity.  Cheers, Rebecca

Rebecca Winter  
HGA Master Weaver, 2004 & 2018    
email - becwinter555@... or
email - becwinter@...
~~ “It is in the sharing that the secrets are kept.”  Nelson Zink ~~


Re: Marian Powell

Sigrid Piroch <jacquardweaver@...>
 

Rebecca, Sigrid here with Deb. Where do you live? We are in western PA and I have studied Powell for over 30 years and have boxes of materials related to her. 

I have already written up her method of shadow weave with Mimi Smith of Rochester, NY and am happy to share all this all with you. I was up to publishing a booklet on her but am now nearly 80, so would require help to complete this project. 


Sigrid at ARTS
724-991-6834

On Feb 29, 2020, at 12:53 AM, Sigrid Piroch via Groups.Io <jacquardweaver@...> wrote:

Hi Rebecca,

This is Deb, Sigrid Piroch’s daughter. Mom can tell you lots about Powell, even did a study group or workshop or both based on her work. I just happen to be up late online but will be sure she sees this-she doesn’t check email every day. :) 

Sigrid at ARTS

On Feb 28, 2020, at 12:11 PM, Rebecca Winter <becwinter555@...> wrote:

Hi, Everyone, Do any of you have access to Pamphlets published by Marian Powell about Shadow Weave?  These are publications she sold with actual weaving samples for a dollar. I have one called:
Multi Harness Shadow Weave - Converted Form: Multi Harness and Four Harness Shadow Weave Pamphlets
There is no date, but I believe she most likely published these in the late 60's.  I would really love to see some others, as the name implies they exist or existed.  

Also, if anyone has further biographical information about her, that would be great.  What I know so far is she lived in Iowa (address on the Pamphlet), lived in Mexico (address on the samples borrowed from HGA). I have her articles from The Shuttle Craft Guild Bulletin, her article from Handweaver & Craftsman, and her book.  

Thank you for anything further you might have to offer.  May we avoid sliding into weaving obscurity.  Cheers, Rebecca

Rebecca Winter  
HGA Master Weaver, 2004 & 2018    
email - becwinter555@... or
email - becwinter@...
~~ “It is in the sharing that the secrets are kept.”  Nelson Zink ~~


Re: Marian Powell

Rebecca Winter
 

Deb, Thank you very much.  Perhaps she could private message me and we could start a more in-depth conversation.  I would love to hear more stories.  Cheers, Rebecca


On Feb 28, 2020, at 10:53 PM, Sigrid Piroch via Groups.Io <jacquardweaver@...> wrote:

Hi Rebecca,

This is Deb, Sigrid Piroch’s daughter. Mom can tell you lots about Powell, even did a study group or workshop or both based on her work. I just happen to be up late online but will be sure she sees this-she doesn’t check email every day. :) 

Sigrid at ARTS

On Feb 28, 2020, at 12:11 PM, Rebecca Winter <becwinter555@...> wrote:

Hi, Everyone, Do any of you have access to Pamphlets published by Marian Powell about Shadow Weave?  These are publications she sold with actual weaving samples for a dollar. I have one called:
Multi Harness Shadow Weave - Converted Form: Multi Harness and Four Harness Shadow Weave Pamphlets
There is no date, but I believe she most likely published these in the late 60's.  I would really love to see some others, as the name implies they exist or existed.  

Also, if anyone has further biographical information about her, that would be great.  What I know so far is she lived in Iowa (address on the Pamphlet), lived in Mexico (address on the samples borrowed from HGA). I have her articles from The Shuttle Craft Guild Bulletin, her article from Handweaver & Craftsman, and her book.  

Thank you for anything further you might have to offer.  May we avoid sliding into weaving obscurity.  Cheers, Rebecca

Rebecca Winter  
HGA Master Weaver, 2004 & 2018    
email - becwinter555@... or
email - becwinter@...
~~ “It is in the sharing that the secrets are kept.”  Nelson Zink ~~


Re: Marian Powell

Sigrid Piroch <jacquardweaver@...>
 

Hi Rebecca,

This is Deb, Sigrid Piroch’s daughter. Mom can tell you lots about Powell, even did a study group or workshop or both based on her work. I just happen to be up late online but will be sure she sees this-she doesn’t check email every day. :) 

Sigrid at ARTS

On Feb 28, 2020, at 12:11 PM, Rebecca Winter <becwinter555@...> wrote:

Hi, Everyone, Do any of you have access to Pamphlets published by Marian Powell about Shadow Weave?  These are publications she sold with actual weaving samples for a dollar. I have one called:
Multi Harness Shadow Weave - Converted Form: Multi Harness and Four Harness Shadow Weave Pamphlets
There is no date, but I believe she most likely published these in the late 60's.  I would really love to see some others, as the name implies they exist or existed.  

Also, if anyone has further biographical information about her, that would be great.  What I know so far is she lived in Iowa (address on the Pamphlet), lived in Mexico (address on the samples borrowed from HGA). I have her articles from The Shuttle Craft Guild Bulletin, her article from Handweaver & Craftsman, and her book.  

Thank you for anything further you might have to offer.  May we avoid sliding into weaving obscurity.  Cheers, Rebecca

Rebecca Winter  
HGA Master Weaver, 2004 & 2018    
email - becwinter555@... or
email - becwinter@...
~~ “It is in the sharing that the secrets are kept.”  Nelson Zink ~~


Marian Powell

Rebecca Winter
 

Hi, Everyone, Do any of you have access to Pamphlets published by Marian Powell about Shadow Weave?  These are publications she sold with actual weaving samples for a dollar. I have one called:
Multi Harness Shadow Weave - Converted Form: Multi Harness and Four Harness Shadow Weave Pamphlets
There is no date, but I believe she most likely published these in the late 60's.  I would really love to see some others, as the name implies they exist or existed.  

Also, if anyone has further biographical information about her, that would be great.  What I know so far is she lived in Iowa (address on the Pamphlet), lived in Mexico (address on the samples borrowed from HGA). I have her articles from The Shuttle Craft Guild Bulletin, her article from Handweaver & Craftsman, and her book.  

Thank you for anything further you might have to offer.  May we avoid sliding into weaving obscurity.  Cheers, Rebecca

Rebecca Winter  
HGA Master Weaver, 2004 & 2018    
email - becwinter555@... or
email - becwinter@...
~~ “It is in the sharing that the secrets are kept.”  Nelson Zink ~~


Re: Connection from Catalina to Megado 2.0 via Fiberworks problem

Cheryl S
 

Soyoung I tried connecting from my Mac mini which is running High Sierra and it works perfectly. so the port on the megado is fine. Catalina just does not see the FTDI driver. 


Re: Connection from Catalina to Megado 2.0 via Fiberworks problem

Cheryl S
 

The ports on my MacBook Pro all work, I connect to a backup drive on a regular basis with no problem. But I haven’t checked the viability of the dobby port. I’ll try that today. Thanks. Cheryl


Re: Connection from Catalina to Megado 2.0 via Fiberworks problem

Soyoung Shin
 

Hey Cheryl, the FTDI chips I think are only applicable to USB <> Serial cables, as the FTDI chip is doing translation between the two protocols. USB <> USB should work out of the box (should!)

Not sure what may be going wrong If you're going USB to USB. Maybe your port is dead? Can you try to use an external hard drive or other USB device from that port? Have you tried other usb ports on your computer?

I have a lot on my plate this week, but can lend a hand for a bit. I'm stationary 12-6 PST through Saturday, and next week frees up. (this week is better though) Terminal is in my comfort zone.

~Soyoung


Re: Connection from Catalina to Megado 2.0 via Fiberworks problem

Fran Osten
 

I think you can back up your hard drive and wipe the computer and do a reinstall. I needed to have Apple do that for me for another problem but if you are computer saavy you undoubtedly could do it yourself

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 9:07 AM Lorelei Caracausa <beeweaverstudio@...> wrote:
Someone commented earlier on this thread that Apple does not provide for "rolling back"

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 7:48 AM Ann Barry <abarry@...> wrote:
I am hearing numerous problems with various  software including camera
tethering software where Catalina is the culprit. I haven't been following
this thread because I am on Windows, but can you roll back from Catalina and
see if that works?

Ann

-----Original Message-----
From: weavetech@groups.io <weavetech@groups.io> On Behalf Of B Rose via
Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 4:55 AM
To: weavetech@groups.io
Subject: Re: [weavetech] Connection from Catalina to Megado 2.0 via
Fiberworks problem

I wonder if it is the cables that are causing the problems?

I am running Proweave on a Megado which never ran on a nice neat USB A to
USB C cable.

However it runs using an classic USB A to USB A cable plus a USB A to USB C
adapter to the laptop. I used this on previous operating systems and it
continues to operate with Catalina on my MacBook.

Best Wishes

Belinda







--
Lorelei


Re: Connection from Catalina to Megado 2.0 via Fiberworks problem

Lorelei Caracausa
 

Someone commented earlier on this thread that Apple does not provide for "rolling back"


On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 7:48 AM Ann Barry <abarry@...> wrote:
I am hearing numerous problems with various  software including camera
tethering software where Catalina is the culprit. I haven't been following
this thread because I am on Windows, but can you roll back from Catalina and
see if that works?

Ann

-----Original Message-----
From: weavetech@groups.io <weavetech@groups.io> On Behalf Of B Rose via
Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 4:55 AM
To: weavetech@groups.io
Subject: Re: [weavetech] Connection from Catalina to Megado 2.0 via
Fiberworks problem

I wonder if it is the cables that are causing the problems?

I am running Proweave on a Megado which never ran on a nice neat USB A to
USB C cable.

However it runs using an classic USB A to USB A cable plus a USB A to USB C
adapter to the laptop. I used this on previous operating systems and it
continues to operate with Catalina on my MacBook.

Best Wishes

Belinda







--
Lorelei


Re: Connection from Catalina to Megado 2.0 via Fiberworks problem

Ann Barry
 

I am hearing numerous problems with various software including camera
tethering software where Catalina is the culprit. I haven't been following
this thread because I am on Windows, but can you roll back from Catalina and
see if that works?

Ann

-----Original Message-----
From: weavetech@groups.io <weavetech@groups.io> On Behalf Of B Rose via
Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2020 4:55 AM
To: weavetech@groups.io
Subject: Re: [weavetech] Connection from Catalina to Megado 2.0 via
Fiberworks problem

I wonder if it is the cables that are causing the problems?

I am running Proweave on a Megado which never ran on a nice neat USB A to
USB C cable.

However it runs using an classic USB A to USB A cable plus a USB A to USB C
adapter to the laptop. I used this on previous operating systems and it
continues to operate with Catalina on my MacBook.

Best Wishes

Belinda