Brakes 2

Bill Koepp <bgkoe@...>

I should expand a bit on the brake slippage; when looms are dis-assembled
and re-assembled it's quite easy to put the spring or weight on the wrong
end of the rope or strap. Some brakes use two springs, I'm talking only
about the major spring here.
If slippage occurs, try changing the direction of the rope or strap or
moving the major spring to the other rope connection. I won't try to say
clockwise, counter-clockwise etc., - If the major spring is on the rope end
that runs away from the weaver, move it to the rope end that runs toward the
weaver, or the other way around; some brake designs need it one way, some
the other way. If there's a brake release pedal, be sure it's adjusted so it
isn't allowing the brake to slip; the pedal cord shouldn't be banjo tight
when weaving.

If you ever have to move a loom, take plenty of photos first, they might
come in handy later !

Happy Shuttling ! - Bill Koepp in Central California