Re: live weight tensioning

Penny Lacroix

Hans, thanks for the explanation of the physics. That makes sense.

Syne, can you elaborate on your choice of ropes? What has worked the best for you? What has not worked?

Kati's book calls for "braided cotton cord". I'm thinking this is the stuff you get in the clothesline section of the hardware store? It comes in different sizes. Have you tried this or something else?

In my trial, I used strapping that we use to attach our canoe to the car roof. It is wide with convenient hooks on the ends, but maybe more slippery than it should be, even if wrapped several times.

- Penny

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021, 12:46 AM Syne Mitchell <synemitchell@...> wrote:
I found that changing the rope I was using to one with more "tooth" made the difference in my live tension system. Along with the other methods of increasing friction Hans mentioned above.

I'm playing around with a live tension system at the moment as well, and one discovery was that having it balanced on both sides of the warp beam (instead of one side) is a good idea. :)

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 2:57 PM Joe P <rugsbyjoe@...> wrote:
Hi Everyone

If you are looking for pictures of wood weight box and diagram. Hand Weaving and Cloth Design by Marianne Straub page 23. The set up is not shown on barn loom. Shown on George Wood Loom. When I want to see something done I check out you tube videos. Type in to your search (you tube live weight tension on floor loom) The first video that comes is is one done by Kati M. I think you will enjoy seeing the video

Keep Weaving
Joe Bear in WI U.S.A.